Top Speed???

B

Bo67

I hit 140 MPH in 6th gear a few weeks ago on a lonely county road. It's good enough for this kid but I was wondering, are everyone else's top speed reports in 6th gear or in 5th? The only reason I ask is that older bikes I've had over the years had 6th gear as an overdrive gear and the engine just wouldn't pull it to redline in top gear.

Also, has anyone recorded their top speed per gear? ie: 1st= xx MPH, 2nd= xx MPH, 3rd=xxx MPH and so on.

Just curious.

-Bo

S

sportrider

I hit 140 MPH in 6th gear a few weeks ago on a lonely county road. It's good enough for this kid but I was wondering, are everyone else's top speed reports in 6th gear or in 5th? The only reason I ask is that older bikes I've had over the years had 6th gear as an overdrive gear and the engine just wouldn't pull it to redline in top gear.

Also, has anyone recorded their top speed per gear? ie: 1st= xx MPH, 2nd= xx MPH, 3rd=xxx MPH and so on.

Just curious.

-Bo
1st=???
2nd= 92mph
3rd=122mph
4th=142mph
5th= 150mph
6th=153mph
thats what I recall I know 2nd and 3rd were on the rev limiter not sure of the rest 6th is wind drag limited not rpm.

B

Bo67

Thanks for the info Danny. My speeds are about the same in 2nd and 3rd but I don't recall them exactly. What elevation are you at in CA? I'm at 3100 ft but most of my speed runs are at ~5100 ft. Don't know if higher elevation would equal less drag/higher speed or not. It all might be cancelled out by less air being able to make it into the cylinders at higher altitudes.
I might have to try that out before winter hits hard. If not, I'll give it a go next spring.

ang1dust

My bike is smokin I think
Reaction score
www.myspace.com
Top Speed 152!

Im pretty new at riding. I got mine to 152. I seemed to be floating up the numbers. I "ran" into traffic also or i would have continued to increase but it was going extemely slow. Whoever got 158 either has mods or if not was going downhill. :)

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Im pretty new at riding. I got mine to 152. I seemed to be floating up the numbers. I "ran" into traffic also or i would have continued to increase but it was going extemely slow. Whoever got 158 either has mods or if not was going downhill. :)
There are a lot of variables, wind, rider weight ect. I had an indicated 156mph. It wasn't flying up there but the speedo was still moving. I reckon 158mph ir probably topping out. My good friend has an R6. He has had 165mph. To do this though he had virtually drained the tank.

S

sportrider

Thanks for the info Danny. My speeds are about the same in 2nd and 3rd but I don't recall them exactly. What elevation are you at in CA? I'm at 3100 ft but most of my speed runs are at ~5100 ft. Don't know if higher elevation would equal less drag/higher speed or not. It all might be cancelled out by less air being able to make it into the cylinders at higher altitudes.
I might have to try that out before winter hits hard. If not, I'll give it a go next spring.
100 ft. below sea level

ang1dust said:
Im pretty new at riding. I got mine to 152. I seemed to be floating up the numbers. I "ran" into traffic also or i would have continued to increase but it was going extemely slow. Whoever got 158 either has mods or if not was going downhill.
I've had mine there but that was running a 190/50 rear

Khyren

Reaction score
Visit site
I know I'm resurecting an old post but I'm encroaching on sportrider's 158 with a 156 indicated. Mine's all stock, even the tires. But I have to kick 5th to the limiter and then shift 6th going down hill to beat him. I got the 156 last night going down this one hill in just 6th the whole time.

Khyren

youngGun

Reaction score
Visit site
Ok so if im correct the record is 158 indicated and if that is true then that means i am the new record holder 162 indicated, it was nice and cool outside and she was running absolutely beautifully.

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com
So what...you guys want a medal? or a chest to pin it on?

I'm seeing a corilation between Top Speed and Top Moron... Save it for the track guys.

H8 PVMT

lovin' life
Reaction score
Visit site
Ok so if im correct the record is 158 indicated and if that is true then that means i am the new record holder 162 indicated, it was nice and cool outside and she was running absolutely beautifully.

162 on our FZ6? Remember there is about 10% error so at 162 you were more than likely running 146. That is amazingly fast on our bikes I wasn't aware they would go that fast. Where the hell do you go that fast at? :D I've had it up to 112 on the freeway with no one in sight...well not for long at least, at those speeds people are in sight pretty quick. :D

youngGun

Reaction score
Visit site
First off i am a very experienced rider, even if i am younger. and i am fully aware that speed is dangerous, and have more than adequate experiences and abilities to ride fast, and im not trying to make myself out to be a fearless Kid who thinks he knows what he's doing. so the top moron medal can be given to the newbie on their first motorcycle trying to go as fast as they can.

As for where i was i live in the plains of oklahoma and there is a stretch of road that ive ridden many many times, and its perfect, straight and flat for as far as you can see, in good shape, and in the absolute middle of nowhere, no traffic, no access, such as intersections or driveways.

I only weigh in at 145lbs so that might help a little.

mikebike

just a rider
Reaction score
www.crazyguyonabike.com
Younggun,,,,,,,Boneman has been on the "throne" (see avitar) for a long time and is a bit testy.

sounds like you did it the right way .... no intersections or driveways ....flat.... and good road.

I have been in low triple digits a few times .... the bike is FAST... no not a busa but plenty fast.

Be carefull and play nice:thumbup:

S

sportrider

congrats on the record!!! if you know where your at you can diffidently limit the risk your taking. I'm sure the roads you pull "speed runs" on are similar to the roads I do. is it illegal? yes. is it dangerous? yes. am I going to do it again? yes.

face it boys, there's a reason we ride what we ride. if I wanted to dip a bike in chrome and "trick" it out so I looked "cool" in a parking lot, or ride around at low speed I'd of kept my Harley. Yes you should save it for the track. the reality is only a small number of us will ever ride a track. I've been riding bikes for over twenty years and with exception to Motocross, I have never been on a racetrack, YET. believe me I want to, but for the expense and distance I'd have to go, I'll hit up my local twisties before I'll make it to the track.

for the record... my 158MPH pass was set at 60o starting elevation aprox.-100ft ending elevation aprox.-60ft. so yes, I was going slightly uphill:D