Too Small?

Comet

Reaction score
Visit site
I've got a friend that collects old bikes and that is what he prefers to ride. He has been after me to get a bike to ride with him, so after a lot of research I chose the FZ6. We went for a ride Friday and afterwards he said I almost got too small of a bike. He rides 70's Kawasaki 900-1000's. I havnt got a chance to answer him on this but I dont think he is right. I love this bike and I dont see any problems with riding long haul as we sometimes do. The bike will probabaly run circles around his older bikes. It weighs enuff and I saw no problems with freeway riding. I was bragging alot on the bike after we stopped to eat and that may have brought out a little jealously. Do any of you know what he is talking about? Bigger aint always better.

nlheikki

2009 Buell XB12Scg
Reaction score
Visit site
He probably thinks that a 600cc bike is too small (for him)......But if you like it, that's all that matters.

Dunno

Reaction score
Visit site
Mate it depends on why you ride?

Do you do it for the fun factor or for bragging rights? Comfort wise I think you are on the right bike. If you do a bit of touring I think you already know that.
If your mate wants to go on about the size of his engine block you could always remind him of the pre-historic brakes, suspension & twisting frame on his Z900.

I think it all depends on what you intend to use the bike for? The FZ6 is a good all round bike & can be put to good use in all conditions.

As far as bigger is better. Ha! In a straight line there is no substitute for horse power. However we ride bikes to enjoy the twisty stuff.

Try to tell a 125 GP racer that bigger is better. Put em on a track with a current crop of 1000cc sports bikes & see who disappears into the distance.
Bigger is not always better. :D

Raid The Revenge

Reaction score
Visit site
In the past two years, MOTOGP has declared a decrease in size for all engine displacements. The YZR-M1, RC212V and GP8 are all 800cc now. The main reason for this was the 'dangerous' power output from the 1 Litre engines.

After the downsize, the riders have reported an overall performance INCREASE of their machines tenfold. They accelerate faster, brake faster, handle the turns more better...just because EXCESS WEIGHT has been removed.

keira

Mrs. Reiobard
Reaction score
Visit site
t has been said before, but it is about what you like, who cares about him. I get comments constantly the "That's an awful big bike for a girl." It's backwards in yur case, but if it is the right bike for you at this stage of the game,t hat is all that matters. Who knows, maybe in a few years you'll want an old, heavy vintage litre bike.

Comet

Reaction score
Visit site
t has been said before, but it is about what you like, who cares about him. I get comments constantly the "That's an awful big bike for a girl." It's backwards in yur case, but if it is the right bike for you at this stage of the game,t hat is all that matters. Who knows, maybe in a few years you'll want an old, heavy vintage litre bike.
I was riding a Honda VTX 1800c and he said that was too big. It was more than I could handle at times. The weight was a big factor in me tiring of it. They are great on long trips and freeway riding but around town and under 40 they are just too much and dont ever get in gravel or grass. The FZ6 is at least 250 lbs lighter. I rode again today after installing some barback risers and I love it even more. I willget things adjusted just for me and I will enjoy it more and more.

greenthumb

Reaction score
Visit site
My father has had a '76 KZ900 almost since new, got a Concours a couple years back.
He's ridden my bike once for a few hours and thought it was great. Definately quicker than his old bike. (which i now want - its mint) But for someone in his mid 60's its not quite as relaxed and suited to his riding style.

bombadillo

Reaction score
Visit site
Tell him that going through more gas, tires, and insurance money gets old. Stay on something 600cc or so and you're gonna be better off in the long haul. You may miss a little low end torque but smoke him in the twisties and call it a day.

Comet

Reaction score
Visit site
Tell him that going through more gas, tires, and insurance money gets old. Stay on something 600cc or so and you're gonna be better off in the long haul. You may miss a little low end torque but smoke him in the twisties and call it a day.
Gas was a big factor when buying the FZ6. I can ride all day now and not have to take out a loan.:rockon:

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
First of all, only you know what is too big, too small and just right for you. No one here nor any of your friends, family, etc... can possibly tell you what is right for you.

Second, you're the only one you have to please. Others will have opinions and many may voice them. In the end, if you're happy with the bike's comfort and performance, then their opinions do not count.

Last, take what others say and weigh it. Research options. Best thing to do is list EVERYTHING you want in a bike without thinking of any specific bike, then go try and find that bike. You'll never find one with all you want, but you can come close enough and mod in what is missing. You may have already found this with the FZ6.

I gave up caring what others think of me and my decisions years ago. I'm out to make me happy first so long as I'm not making others miserable.

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
He may have gotten tired of your bragging or to an extent he is correct. The 600 cc motor is small compaired to liter + bikes. Let him (if you trust him) ride it to see what it can do. He may or may not change his mind.
I love my FJR1300 for power, all day comfort and very good handling but here is no way an FJR will keep up with the 6 on a tight twisty road.
Each bike like it's owners have their strong and weak points. Life is probably better that way, eh?

Comet

Reaction score
Visit site
He may have gotten tired of your bragging or to an extent he is correct. The 600 cc motor is small compaired to liter + bikes. Let him (if you trust him) ride it to see what it can do. He may or may not change his mind.
I love my FJR1300 for power, all day comfort and very good handling but here is no way an FJR will keep up with the 6 on a tight twisty road.
Each bike like it's owners have their strong and weak points. Life is probably better that way, eh?
I asked him to ride it to see how it rode but he declined. He said he learned a long time a go to not ride others because he might want one. I really do like the bike and plan on riding it no matter what others say. I just dont know where he is coming from, that the bike is almost too small. I had a VTX 1800c and he said it was too big. Oh well. Can't please everyone, so you, "got to please yourself".

bombadillo

Reaction score
Visit site
Gas was a big factor when buying the FZ6. I can ride all day now and not have to take out a loan.:rockon:

If I wanted to get 25-30 mpg, I'd get a civic, not a busa or fz1. I know they may get better gas mileage than that, but come on, 50+ mpg and not that much less oomph is plenty for 99 percent of the people on the road. The guys that ride around here, get an R1 for their first bike, dump it, and won't ride anymore so they're no fun to go out with. The guys on the small bikes are usually much better riders because they don't carry their ego while they're riding.

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I love the FZ and think it is just the right size, although an old Beemer parked next to me today and i did notice that it is physically a lot larger than the FZ, but i thought that it was huge, not that FZ was too small.

madmanmaigret

Mad like crazy not angry
Reaction score
Visit site
with how old his bikes are, what is the horsepower output of it? you may still come out ahead.

edit: bring it to the strip to make him happy (if he wins) and go to the twisties to make you happy (you will win) and see how much he beats you by on the strip and how much you beat him by.... you come out ahead.

marke14

running on empty
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
If I wanted to get 25-30 mpg, I'd get a civic, not a busa or fz1. I know they may get better gas mileage than that, but come on, 50+ mpg and not that much less oomph is plenty for 99 percent of the people on the road. The guys that ride around here, get an R1 for their first bike, dump it, and won't ride anymore so they're no fun to go out with. The guys on the small bikes are usually much better riders because they don't carry their ego while they're riding.

Heh. I get 28 - 35 in my 04 Civic, and I get 40 - 49 on my 07 FZ6.

AND my ego fits nicely under the seat. :Sport:

Comet

Reaction score
Visit site
with how old his bikes are, what is the horsepower output of it? you may still come out ahead.

edit: bring it to the strip to make him happy (if he wins) and go to the twisties to make you happy (you will win) and see how much he beats you by on the strip and how much you beat him by.... you come out ahead.
I am pretty sure the little FZ6 will take him. Those bikes were great in their day and are still neat to have but they cant stand up to new technology. That big heavy 1800 I had smoked him easily, from a start, midrange and topend.

kerpal

Reaction score
Visit site
He may have gotten tired of your bragging or to an extent he is correct. The 600 cc motor truck part is small compaired to liter + bikes. Let him (if you trust him) ride it to see what it can do. He may or may not change his mind.

The FKR's handling is that bad?? Or is the body too big?? I can't figure out why can't the FJR keep up on a tight twisty road

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The FKR's handling is that bad?? Or is the body too big?? I can't figure out why can't the FJR keep up on a tight twisty road

Its the ground clearance and weight which makes the FJR less nimble, but still a very good touring bike with plenty of power.