Throttle Position Sensor Issues (Are you Experiencing Poor Idle/Mileage, or Stalls?)

the big read

Reaction score
Visit site
I ran my diagnostic. I got 17-102.

I have no symptoms of the idle dropping, or anything along those lines. But I do have dreadful mpg. Around 100 miles per tank.

I mostly ride with gentle throttle. And my rides at the moment have been short, cold journeys to work (about 5 miles each way).

Does anyone think it will be more affiliated with those cold journeys, or those TPS values?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

doc_simple

Meat Popsickle
Reaction score
Visit site
I had issues with the TPS and it was dying at stop signs, rpms jumping up and down while riding. It sounds like your issue might be plugs or air filter. But 100 miles per tank is silly low. I changed my front sprocket down one tooth and still get 150-180 per tank riding like a loony tune.

the big read

Reaction score
Visit site
I changed the air filter to new K&N a couple of months ago. I have some new sparks in the garage that I will put in this weekend. Fingers crossed that will help.
Cheers for the quick response!

ivor1980

Reaction score
Visit site
My figures for tps are 14 and 94. Idle is hunting...should i change tps?my bike is 2004 .would yamaha still do it on a recall or the bike is too old for recall?thanks

Senior

My brother is Junior
Reaction score
Visit site
Call Yamaha with the chassis number and they should confirm that it has not been done, and while you're at it register as the current owner.

I knew about the TPS recall but assumed that my FZ6 Fazer S on an 07 plate wouldn't need it, but as I registered the bike when I purchased it as the second owner in 2008, I shortly got a letter from Yamaha inviting me to my nearest convenient dealer for it to be changed. The previous owner/s of your bike probably ignored the letters from Yamaha......

Q2: How do I contact Yamaha Motor UK?
By mail:
Yamaha Motor (UK) Ltd
Units A2 & A3
Kingswey Business Park
Sheerwater
Woking
Surrey
GU21 5SA
By telephone/fax:
T: 01932 358000
F: 01932 358030

Sent from my HTC One on Vodafone 4G using Tapatalk 2

ivor1980

Reaction score
Visit site
called yamaha today.they said that dealer who sold the bike way back in 2004 had claimed for tps recall in 2006...should i bite the bullet and buy new tps and change it myself?or try adjusting it.as my values are 14-94?looks if i turn it one way all figures should increase to spec?

04fizzer

Reaction score
Visit site
called yamaha today.they said that dealer who sold the bike way back in 2004 had claimed for tps recall in 2006...should i bite the bullet and buy new tps and change it myself?or try adjusting it.as my values are 14-94?looks if i turn it one way all figures should increase to spec?

I would try adjusting it, so long as you know what you're doing.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

Please read the first post here: There's also some detailed post on the actual adjustment as well.

http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-...ou-experiencing-poor-idle-mileage-stalls.html

The low # should be 15-19 then up to 100 (it can go a little higher).

Yours is obviously off, running on the lean side.

Adjusting is slightly may get you into that range.

As a side note, I had some issues with my FJR years ago. Mama Yamaha (it was under warranty) had the techs adjust the TPS above 100 as they believed it may be running lean. A higher # basically tells the ECU the throttle is open more and to add more fuel.

Get in the diagnostic mode and check ALL THE #'s, that your not missing any, no skips, both up and down. High and low #'s matter but inbetween EVEN MORE SO. If a certain throttle position (TPS position as well) doesn't register with the ECU, the ECU doesn't know what to do.

NOT asked yet, did you do any modifications recently, new pipes, air filter, TB sync, etc, anything???? This is really important..

PM sent as well.

ivor1980

Reaction score
Visit site
Please read the first post here: There's also some detailed post on the actual adjustment as well.

http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-...ou-experiencing-poor-idle-mileage-stalls.html

The low # should be 15-19 then up to 100 (it can go a little higher).

Yours is obviously off, running on the lean side.

Adjusting is slightly may get you into that range.

As a side note, I had some issues with my FJR years ago. Mama Yamaha (it was under warranty) had the techs adjust the TPS above 100 as they believed it may be running lean. A higher # basically tells the ECU the throttle is open more and to add more fuel.

Get in the diagnostic mode and check ALL THE #'s, that your not missing any, no skips, both up and down. High and low #'s matter but inbetween EVEN MORE SO. If a certain throttle position (TPS position as well) doesn't register with the ECU, the ECU doesn't know what to do.

NOT asked yet, did you do any modifications recently, new pipes, air filter, TB sync, etc, anything???? This is really important..

PM sent as well.
Scorpion cans,k and n ,power commander v installed and tuned on dyno by previous owner.said it came back from there hunting...i tried to richenup mix at idle to not much avail...

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Scorpion cans,k and n ,power commander v installed and tuned on dyno by previous owner.said it came back from there hunting...i tried to richenup mix at idle to not much avail...

Test the TPS, if it passes, adjust.

A throttle body sync wouldn't hurt. Are the cat(s) still on the bike?

I would be looking for another dyno tuner should you want to keep the Power commander, current set up. With all those mods I suspect it was tuned into the engine. Someone said it was normal and left it at that..

If you want better mileage, get rid of the hunting, IMO, I'd loose the K&N filter, loose the PC and go with and OEM air filter. You should be able to leave the Scorps on (even open) and get an even idle again and still have very good performance..

Please post what you come up with/results, etc and good luck

ivor1980

Reaction score
Visit site
Test the TPS, if it passes, adjust.

A throttle body sync wouldn't hurt. Are the cat(s) still on the bike?

I would be looking for another dyno tuner should you want to keep the Power commander, current set up. With all those mods I suspect it was tuned into the engine. Someone said it was normal and left it at that..

If you want better mileage, get rid of the hunting, IMO, I'd loose the K&N filter, loose the PC and go with and OEM air filter. You should be able to leave the Scorps on (even open) and get an even idle again and still have very good performance..

Please post what you come up with/results, etc and good luck
The cat is removed(scorpion decat pipe installed) so no backpressure...Not sure should i adjust the tps or get new one....if it was due to lean condition then,i suppose,hunting could be dialed out by increasing fuel in power commander in idle range...Must check all wiring connectors( is the any connections that are prone to corrosion?) maybe dodgy ignition coil...

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The cat is removed(scorpion decat pipe installed) so no backpressure...Not sure should i adjust the tps or get new one....if it was due to lean condition then,i suppose,hunting could be dialed out by increasing fuel in power commander in idle range...Must check all wiring connectors( is the any connections that are prone to corrosion?) maybe dodgy ignition coil...

I would at least test the TPS (all the #'s, up and down), then adjust it. All you need is the correct size torx screw tool. Your just going to turn (adjust) it ever so slightly. Thought there was an O-ring under the TPS however it doesn't show on the parts fisch..

There really isn't any particular electrical connector thats an issue on the bike. Sometimes the ECU connector gets salty moisture in there and causes issues. (wet, salty roads)

If you can adjust the A/F ratio at idle with your PC, can't hurt to try.. I would get the TPS within spec first thou..

Last edited:

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

FWIW: if you're gonna jump into the tune aspect of this, you might pull up and move it into the other thread started. Or start a new one if you really suspect something other than the TPS to be at fault.

http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-performance-mods-section/52681-power-commander-v-maps.html

I think all connections could have issues depending on what the bike has been subjected too. A bike on a coastal town all its life would be more suspect to have corrosion issues than others. You might pull the battery and simply take them all apart and look.

As noted, the Diagnostic mode will show you some but an oscilloscope is needed to see faults in the TPS device itself.

ivor1980

Reaction score
Visit site
I would at least test the TPS (all the #'s, up and down), then adjust it. All you need is the correct size torx screw tool. Your just going to turn (adjust) it ever so slightly. Thought there was an O-ring under the TPS however it doesn't show on the parts fisch..

There really isn't any particular electrical connector thats an issue on the bike. Sometimes the ECU connector gets salty moisture in there and causes issues. (wet, salty roads)

If you can adjust the A/F ratio at idle with your PC, can't hurt to try.. I would get the TPS within spec first thou..

Will do that.also might try some sort of injector cleaner.the bike is 10 years old and only 7700 miles,been sitting in garage most of the year,possibly with stagnant fuel...

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Will do that.also might try some sort of injector cleaner.the bike is 10 years old and only 7700 miles,been sitting in garage most of the year,possibly with stagnant fuel...

That certainly wouldn't hurt.

If you can get Seafoam or Chevron Techtron over there, they both work well. If you have a Yamaha marina nearby, Yamaha makes a product called "Ringfree" :

https://www.yamaha-motor.com/yamalu...dditives-products/11345/details#productscroll

Its not cheap but works VERY, VERY WELL. I run it in my boat 100% of the time. With that said, it'll take me all summer to go thru the 50 gallon fuel tank having NO ISSUES with the fuel..

ivor1980

Reaction score
Visit site
That certainly wouldn't hurt.

If you can get Seafoam or Chevron Techtron over there, they both work well. If you have a Yamaha marina nearby, Yamaha makes a product called "Ringfree" :

https://www.yamaha-motor.com/yamalu...dditives-products/11345/details#productscroll

Its not cheap but works VERY, VERY WELL. I run it in my boat 100% of the time. With that said, it'll take me all summer to go thru the 50 gallon fuel tank having NO ISSUES with the fuel..

Ordered some chevron tech stuff.thanks :thumbup: