The All-Combined West Coast FZ6-Forum Ride

jtarkany

Ronin
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.vcoe.org
I would say the 5th around noon or 1 pm. Probably spending the night somewhere around LA on the 4th.

Planning to head out of Vegas on the morning of the 4th. Head towards LA via I-15 Slab until we peel off towards Angeles Crest Hwy with a lunch stop with Oslo2k (maybe)

I'm just wondering how far north we are going on PCH? I would like to reserve a room somewhere. Santa Barbara, Santa Cruz, Monterrey?

If you are hitting Ventura at Noon then you may want to stop in the Cambria/San Simeon area, lots of places to stay both for campers and the pampered :D

However, if you are leaving the LA area around 8:00 AM you would be passing through Ventura at around 10:00 AM and would be able to make Monterey with plenty of daylight left (also many places to stay for the camper and the pampered).

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Fixed it for you.

If you do that you're on for a free lunch :Flip:

I would but my Mandarin is pretty bad. Otherwise, I would. Honest.

You can avoid paying that if you just stay in an ordinary hotel/motel off the strip but what fun would that be? Staying on the strip, you can get by walking, no need for cabs.

That would be useless. And I usually pay minimum of $120 a night on hotels so 80 bucks for 2 nights is a great deal.

krid80

journeyman of epic status
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.surdykeharley.com
Lots of crazy going on around here. My wife's grandma has been given 2-4 weeks to live (alzheimers). Haven't had much time to think about the trip. I did repack my Leo Vince exhaust (even though once I opened them up, they still looked really good after over 16,000 miles of abuse) and gave her a good wax job today.

I need to talk to my wife to make sure this trip is still a good idea with her grandma's situation.

03579c9e.jpg

oso2k

Reaction score
Visit site
And we' still on for lunch on the 4th. I'll let you guys pick: Carne Asada (Mexican style marinated BBQ skirt steak) at my place or lunch at Newcomb's Ranch Inn off of Angeles Crest Hwy.

MarinaFazer

Wonderbread
Reaction score
www.jwci.org
On August 6, I'll be going from LA to Carmel Valley (Monterey Bay). If you guys are heading up, I'll ride the bike, but if not, I'm just going to super slab it. Do you have an estimate of your LA departure north and route?

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
On August 6, I'll be going from LA to Carmel Valley (Monterey Bay). If you guys are heading up, I'll ride the bike, but if not, I'm just going to super slab it. Do you have an estimate of your LA departure north and route?

if you take bike would you want to leave earlier? i ask because super-slabbing would get you to your destination sooner than side-roading it if you leave at the same time. i guess it depends on whether or not you have a target arrival time.

to keep on schedule leaving on the top of the 5th might be better for me. im not 100% sure yet though and leaving on the top of the 6th could work too as it would leave some extra relax-time in LA. I'll be going over all the route planning this weekend in more detail than i have before.

the thing that might result in leaving LA as early as the top of the 4th or late on the 4th would be my trying to keep to the 4 days hard riding 1-2 days dicking around type of arrangement.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
And we' still on for lunch on the 4th. I'll let you guys pick: Carne Asada (Mexican style marinated BBQ skirt steak) at my place or lunch at Newcomb's Ranch Inn off of Angeles Crest Hwy.

I think that a bbq at your place or lunch at Newcomb's Ranch would be fine either way by me.

But riding to Palmdale would requries us to double back to ACH. From Vegas, it's pretty much a straight shot down I-15 past Victorville and head west on 138 until we hit Hwy 2. If we head onto Palmdale, I'm guessing we take Hwy 18 west towards Lancaster. I guess it's something that I will have to discuss with Krid & Lone when they get to Vegas.

What time we will be arriving into the LA area will be something to consider too, not sure how they would feel arriiving into LA around rush hour as it will be their first introduction to lane splitting.

krid80

Elite Member
Reaction score
www.surdykeharley.com
I think that a bbq at your place or lunch at Newcomb's Ranch would be fine either way by me.

But riding to Palmdale would requries us to double back to ACH. From Vegas, it's pretty much a straight shot down I-15 past Victorville and head west on 138 until we hit Hwy 2. If we head onto Palmdale, I'm guessing we take Hwy 18 west towards Lancaster. I guess it's something that I will have to discuss with Krid & Lone when they get to Vegas.

What time we will be arriving into the LA area will be something to consider too, not sure how they would feel arriiving into LA around rush hour as it will be their first introduction to lane splitting.

I think a bbq at your place would be awesome but I'm down for whatever.

Lane splitting... yeah... never done that before.... :innocent:

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lI8Oav3WBKM&feature=related]YouTube - Lane splitting Los Angeles (normal speed)[/ame]

I do that level of lane-splitting on my way to work with a similar level of traffic. Long as you keep an eye out for car's looking to lane-change it's not so bad....and provided the speed differential isn't too great....

But maybe it is more intense than that and the video makes it look closer to what I do on the way to work. Will only know when see it first hand.

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
For me, that's a little too agressive lane splitting (and it might also be for a CHP). The rider (who is it?) seems in the video to be passing vehicles much faster (25+ MPH?)than the flow of traffic but maybe that's the video making it look that way. I know some riders may blow through slower moving (not crawling/stop 'n go) traffic like that but I think that might raise eyebrows of a CHP. But, hey, I'm in NorCal and driving/riding habits may be different in SoCal---and other motorists/cops used to it.

krid80

Elite Member
Reaction score
www.surdykeharley.com
For me, that's a little too agressive lane splitting (and it might also be for a CHP). The rider (who is it?) seems in the video to be passing vehicles much faster (25+ MPH?)than the flow of traffic but maybe that's the video making it look that way. I know some riders may blow through slower moving (not crawling/stop 'n go) traffic like that but I think that might raise eyebrows of a CHP. But, hey, I'm in NorCal and driving/riding habits may be different in SoCal---and other motorists/cops used to it.

I agree. That guy is leaving himself with no room to react at those speeds.

oso2k

Reaction score
Visit site
That's the 10 on what appears to be a light traffic day. Not very aggressive in IMO. I've run with guys that split at 90-100 while traffic does 75. And the speed limit is 65 in most areas.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I think a bbq at your place would be awesome but I'm down for whatever.

Lane splitting... yeah... never done that before.... :innocent:

http://www.600riders.com/forum/im-going-ride-you-comin/32434-cali-ore-wa-bc-riders.html

A. Here's the route leaving Vegas on the morning of the 4th. About 400 mile travel day depending exactly where we end up in LA. With the bbq, delaying or departure out of Palmdale, we should be arriving into LA around 6 pm or later.

B. Refuel in Victorville, about 3 hrs of 75mph.
C. Head to Oso2k place in Palmdale for lunch bbq
D. Double back to ACH
E. Newcombs Ranch
F. Pasadena/Glendale
G. ?? we have to decide exactly where in LA you want to stay. Hollywood, coast, etc. Plus decide how far north we want to ride up PCH on the 5th or 6th. Need a destination so I can reserve a hotel room. Those five star resorts sell out during the summer.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Las+Vegas,+NV&daddr=Victorville,+CA+to:palmdale,+CA+to:Wrightwood,+CA+to:Angeles+Crest+Highway,+Pasadena,+CA+to:pasadena,+CA&hl=en&geocode=FdYQJwIdMJoi-SnRffWkgre-gDGjebPV5tXMOg%3BFav6DgIda0cC-Sl50t1jWmTDgDF2NPQlWRGVDQ%3BFeqjDwIdk6_1-Cm13XDshFfCgDE64BKtLXlsag%3BFQJODAIdlA79-CkVuSPcexXDgDGUbmtnDhgkrA%3B%3BFckNCQId_EH1-ClRCzM43MLCgDFKj9EaFkErBQ&mra=ls&sll=34.294647,-118.001812&sspn=0.005956,0.021093&ie=UTF8&ll=34.332096,-117.765198&spn=0.762072,2.69989&t=h&z=9

Last edited:

McLovin

plain evil
Reaction score
Visit site
http://www.600riders.com/forum/im-going-ride-you-comin/32434-cali-ore-wa-bc-riders.html

A. Here's the route leaving Vegas on the morning of the 4th. About 400 mile travel day depending exactly where we end up in LA. With the bbq, delaying or departure out of Palmdale, we should be arriving into LA around 6 pm or later.

D. Double back to ACH
E. Newcombs Ranch
F. Pasadena/Glendale
G. ?? we have to decide exactly where in LA you want to stay. Hollywood, coast, etc. Plus decide how far north we want to ride up PCH on the 5th or 6th. Need a destination so I can reserve a hotel room. Those five star resorts sell out during the summer.

Las Vegas, NV to Pasadena, CA - Google Maps

ill ride the ach with you guys...about what time should we meet there?

Last edited:

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
ill ride the ach with you guys...about what time should we meet there?

Ride on up to Oso2k's place in Palmdale for the BBQ, then we all can head towards LA via ACH. Specific time hasn't been determined yet, but I say the bbq should be sometime in the early afternoon.

Or you can meat us in Victorville and ride onto Palmdale with us.

oso2k

Reaction score
Visit site

D. Double back to ACH
E. Newcombs Ranch
F. Pasadena/Glendale

Las Vegas, NV to Pasadena, CA - Google Maps

D-E is closed I believe (and I know for a fact E-F is closed). At least it was during the Spring after last Summer's fires Winter's rains washed out a few places. John, Dave, Mike? You guys know if they reopened the north side of ACH?

A better way and a way to remove the doubling back is to follow this route from my place:

Palmdale, CA 93552 to La Canada Flintridge, CA - Google Maps

You double back, a little (to get back to AFH from ACH), but at least it's in the mountains and it's twisty. :D