Studded my tires for riding on ice

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
So I purchased 200 carbide tip studs. Very easy to install, came with a guide so all you do is place the stud inside the guide and drill into the tire and it automatically stops once it reaches a certain depth. You can get creative and stud them anyway you like, but since I was limited on the number of studs, I had to be selective.

Stud1.jpg

Here's what I got to look forward to on my way to work this morning. Freezing Rain and a solid sheet of ice on the streets.

Ice.jpg

Here's what my helmet looked like after my 20 minute commute.

Helmet-1.jpg

Front tire with studs.

Front.jpg

Rear tire.

Rear.jpg

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
I use to stud tires for riding on frozen lakes. I would alternate a row of two studs per knob and then a row of one per knob. You get crazy amounts of traction on ice but when you hit pavement it would get a bit loose. THe pattern you did is very smart.

Ssky0078

Reaction score
Visit site
AWESOME, you are an amazing specimen of a human being and if Discovery ever gets around to making a show about real motorcyclist instead of those bull $hit build shows, then you could be a star.

Keep it up and stay safe.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Have you had a chance to ride on ice without the studs? It very rarely ices up here in ga but the last few times it did I had a blast playing around on the ice but in a cage. I really really really wanna try a bike on ice just to say I can lol

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
Have you had a chance to ride on ice without the studs? It very rarely ices up here in ga but the last few times it did I had a blast playing around on the ice but in a cage. I really really really wanna try a bike on ice just to say I can lol

I've ridden my KLR on Ice and snow more than once and fun it is not. When the bike goes down it happens so fast you won't believe it.

Kenny-with all due respect your winter riding could lead you to more than you bargain for. It's not just you that has lost much need traction but the cagers too. Your helmet is proof of what can happen on the commute -again not only you but also those other rigs on the road. I'm not sure if you can't afford four wheels or just ride in those dangerous conditions to prove you can. I am surprised as a mc instructor your feel this is an acceptable risk to ride on two wheels on a regular basis but it's your choice.
You are an adult so it is your choice, I wish you the best.

PosterFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
I've ridden my KLR on Ice and snow more than once and fun it is not. When the bike goes down it happens so fast you won't believe it.

Kenny-with all due respect your winter riding could lead you to more than you bargain for. It's not just you that has lost much need traction but the cagers too. Your helmet is proof of what can happen on the commute -again not only you but also those other rigs on the road. I'm not sure if you can't afford four wheels or just ride in those dangerous conditions to prove you can. I am surprised as a mc instructor your feel this is an acceptable risk to ride on two wheels on a regular basis but it's your choice.
You are an adult so it is your choice, I wish you the best.

x2

I almost went down because of an icy patch. It happens in a fraction of a second.

But I applaud you non the less. You are fraking cool in my book. I so wanna do it too!!!

I just hope I don't have to read a thread in the future how you ended up in the hospital because of this.

Ssky0078

Reaction score
Visit site
I think for everybody that is concerned for VegasRider, they can check this out. Riding on snow and ice can and will be done. Stay safe Vegas.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oikVxS5BS8M]CRAZY BIKE TRIP EN LAPONIE 1/2 - ICE DRIFTING IN LAPLAND - OFFICIAL VIDEO MOTO JOURNAL - YouTube[/ame]

darius

Never stop exploring
Reaction score
Visit site
Awesome, VegasRider. Tires look great!

But I do wonder how you see through that visor? Use the Force?

Edit: Yikes. Those carbide studs are about $1 per stud. If anyone's going to get full ROI it's you though :)

Last edited:

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
99% of all riders ride a motorcycle as a sport or hobby, maybe for recreation, or for whatever reason. Cruiser, dirt, street, doesn't matter, you have your reasons.

The difference is that I ride for a living, it's a way of life for me. I have been without a vehicle for six years. I do not rely on my friends nor do I have a spouse that I can rely on for getting a ride. No company vehicle either. I ride when it's hot, cold, dry and wet and learn to adapt to the conditions. Unless you have been without a vehicle for that many years, you will not understand. My fellow riders and I'm sure every cager will see me as nuts, and I certainly understand their point of view.

There are many people who ride for a living, but they also drive which kind of hinders their mental approach on riding when the conditions get poor. People will say that's smart, and I would have to agree to a certain extent, but I'm not going to get influenced by getting use to the luxury of being inside a car, with heat or air condition.

Granted that this is my first introduction to real winter riding, that's why I have shared my experience along the way.

Riding in this condition is not recommended, and as a Rider Coach I discourage most riders not to ride during the wintery conditions. You have to have GREAT balance and be disciplined to ride completely opposite of what you have been trained to do. Like not using the front brake or lean the bike. One mental lapse will most likely result in a quick drop. No full throttle or even half throttle, a quarter throttle is all what the bike can take because the tires are rock hard, tire grip is at a minimum combined with the slick surface. Motorcycle Awareness is at an absolute zero, there are no other riders to remind everyone.

I can go on and on, but I choose to stay on two wheels. I am fully aware of the risk and it's consequences. Yes, the seas are rough this time of year but this ship has sailed.

VR

David Thompson

Reaction score
Visit site
but I'm not going to get influenced by getting use to the luxury of being inside a car, with heat or air condition.

VR

i suggest you get a $1500 car and take all the glass out of it. bypass the heater core and unplug the blower motor to drive on ice. there are a lot of people that will miss you if a cager takes you out.

darius

Never stop exploring
Reaction score
Visit site
99% of all riders ride a motorcycle as a sport or hobby, maybe for recreation, or for whatever reason. Cruiser, dirt, street, doesn't matter, you have your reasons.

The difference is that I ride for a living, it's a way of life for me. I have been without a vehicle for six years. I do not rely on my friends nor do I have a spouse that I can rely on for getting a ride. No company vehicle either. I ride when it's hot, cold, dry and wet and learn to adapt to the conditions. Unless you have been without a vehicle for that many years, you will not understand. My fellow riders and I'm sure every cager will see me as nuts, and I certainly understand their point of view.

There are many people who ride for a living, but they also drive which kind of hinders their mental approach on riding when the conditions get poor. People will say that's smart, and I would have to agree to a certain extent, but I'm not going to get influenced by getting use to the luxury of being inside a car, with heat or air condition.

Granted that this is my first introduction to real winter riding, that's why I have shared my experience along the way.

Riding in this condition is not recommended, and as a Rider Coach I discourage most riders not to ride during the wintery conditions. You have to have GREAT balance and be disciplined to ride completely opposite of what you have been trained to do. Like not using the front brake or lean the bike. One mental lapse will most likely result in a quick drop. No full throttle or even half throttle, a quarter throttle is all what the bike can take because the tires are rock hard, tire grip is at a minimum combined with the slick surface. Motorcycle Awareness is at an absolute zero, there are no other riders to remind everyone.

I can go on and on, but I choose to stay on two wheels. I am fully aware of the risk and it's consequences. Yes, the seas are rough this time of year but this ship has sailed.

VR

Well said. :thumbup: Are you enjoying winter riding at all or just the challenge of it?