First Ride Of The Year - My New Ride!

Zealot

The Village Idiot
Reaction score
Visit site
Finally got to ride my FZ6 home today after getting it certified at a local bike dealership and having spent the majority of my week thus far doing licensing and administration type duties. Between class and finalizing my license plate transfer, I didn't even get to eat today! (Somehow I made it to Service Ontario in Oshawa where it was lined up to the door with 'Shwabillies' and back to class in less than an hour, missing little) It was only about 45 minutes give or take worth of riding since I had to get it home quick and make it to work - but holy hell if it wasn't one of the best rides I've had yet! My buddy ended up picking up his 08 CBR600RR which he just bought at the same time, and managed to get it rolling a minute before my bike while I was busy still installing my plates. His parents were there, excited for him. They looked impressed with him and wowed by his bike (all stock), but as soon as I fired mine up and they heard the exhaust it was this wide, shocked expression that made me chuckle.

Compared to my 250, and my limited time at some test rides on supersport bikes, the FZ6 has an interesting and high up feel. Countersteering kept making me think I was going to tip over at any second despite the fact I'd hardly started, and of course having to relearn the gears and powerbands for different things such as cornering was an interesting experience to say the least... but it'll all come in time. The throttle seems a tad jumpy, and the clutch bite point much different than I'm used to, but I've got my manometer built and my recently purchased (Thanks again, Peter) PC3 ready to go for the future once I've ridden around a bit to properly feel the changes that tweaking the bike make. The two brothers pipes I've got on it sound stellar during riding, and it certainly turned some heads (hopefully for good reasons)!

I'd be out riding all night right now if not for the fact that I'm exhausted running a fever, and it's just cold enough for water to freeze this evening. As per my promise to be careful when riding during the colder temperatures, I kept my speeds tame and didn't go much over 6K RPM or so at any point. Can't wait to see what the rest of the rev range has to offer in the future!

Last edited:

PhotoAl

Reaction score
Visit site
Congrats! Enjoy the bike, I moved up to the FZ6 from a 250 and have a feel what what you experienced - to me the first ride was really intimidating, particularly when the RPMs started to climb. :) the tank seemed so big and wide but the ride was so wonderful.

PS: I'm impressed you are out riding - I've ridden in the hi 20's (F) but it's not much fun.

Last edited:

Monica A

Reaction score
Visit site
Congrats! Enjoy your FZ. I still miss mine at times. It is a comfortable bike for sure. I have ridden my FZ for 10+ hours in a day with very little discomfort. Keep the rubber side down. ATGATT:rockon:

Zealot

The Village Idiot
Reaction score
Visit site
Haha, thanks guys!

Congrats! Enjoy the bike, I moved up to the FZ6 from a 250 and have a feel what what you experienced - to me the first ride was really intimidating, particularly when the RPMs started to climb. :) the tank seemed so big and wide but the ride was so wonderful.

PS: I'm impressed you are out riding - I've ridden in the hi 20's (F) but it's not much fun.

I remember the first time I even dared to run a supersport up to redline on a test ride, as per my friends suggestion. I went from a timid, "No, that's dangerous and might wreck the bike." to "HOLY HELL THAT WAS SWEET!"

The last few days here have been around 3-6 degrees celcius, not to mention the fact the sun is out and shining bright to keep ice out of the picture. It's practically perfect riding weather to me, save for the residual salt and sand that's still on the road. Less than zero is where it got iffy, and I rode into December last year where some days were -1 or -2 plus wind, and it wasn't very comfortable anymore for my hands or neck. High 20's would be definitely within that 'uncomfortable' range for me too!

Congrats! Enjoy your FZ. I still miss mine at times. It is a comfortable bike for sure. I have ridden my FZ for 10+ hours in a day with very little discomfort. Keep the rubber side down. ATGATT:rockon:

I really like the seating position thus far. Sporty looks and standard ergonomics seems like a win win to me, although I'd be cool with owning a purebred supersport for some real hooning someday in the future. Going to see how the comfort is into the longer rides, but I've got high hopes - and certainly plan to keep my wheels firmly planted on the road!

Monica A

Reaction score
Visit site
[/QUOTE]
I really like the seating position thus far. Sporty looks and standard ergonomics seems like a win win to me, although I'd be cool with owning a purebred supersport for some real hooning someday in the future. Going to see how the comfort is into the longer rides, but I've got high hopes - and certainly plan to keep my wheels firmly planted on the road![/QUOTE]:thumbup:

I am waiting for my Triumph Street Triple R (675cc) to arrive next week. Brand new, out of the box. I can't wait. It's my hooning bike for sure. I do prety well on my Sprint though. It's a 1050cc triple and has amazing tourque and power. I love it! It's not as upright seating position as the FZ6 but not leaned over like a supersport. I did 2100 miles in 8 days last summer on my Sprint very comfortably. My Street will be for day trips and the Sprint for longer rides.

2nd childhood

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Congrats on the new bike! I can understand the yearning for a hoon bike in addition though. That's why I bought an Aprilia Tuono to sit along side my FZ6. My old body wouldn't let me get an all-out sports bike, but with a riding position similar to my FZ6, the Tuono excites me yet scares me at the same time. Enjoy the bike and ride safe.....

Zealot

The Village Idiot
Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome to the family? What kinda 250'd you have?

I was running a Honda CBR 250R from last July onward. Great little bike, and a pleasure to learn on - I'm just happy to have upgraded. Plan on giving it the proper treatment before I sell it off to somebody else, and going through full maintenance on it as best I can. I'll make up the cost of this one by selling it too!

iviyth0s

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I was running a Honda CBR 250R from last July onward. Great little bike, and a pleasure to learn on - I'm just happy to have upgraded. Plan on giving it the proper treatment before I sell it off to somebody else, and going through full maintenance on it as best I can. I'll make up the cost of this one by selling it too!
Nice, I haven't had the pleasure. Probably got great mileage with decent get up , but maybe became a little winded on the highway?

What year and how much did you buy it for? I'd be interested in hearing what you end up getting for it as well.

ChanceCoats123

Reaction score
Visit site
Nice, I haven't had the pleasure. Probably got great mileage with decent get up , but maybe became a little winded on the highway?

What year and how much did you buy it for? I'd be interested in hearing what you end up getting for it as well.

That's the nice thing about 250s, they tend to hold their value because there are always new riders looking to get a cheap beginner bike. I'd bet the OP will take pretty minimal losses considering the riding time and experience he got out of it. :thumbup:

Zealot

The Village Idiot
Reaction score
Visit site

It was nice for getting around town and commuting in general. I went pretty quick and took the highways often. It'll hold 120km/h and below no problem, but above that and up to its (best I got at 6th gear redline and a full tuck on the highway) 170km/h limit it's extremely winded and you have to wait for quite some time to hit that. I'd pay about $10 a tank and get 300km out of it, so as far as mileage was concerned it was a beaut'. The bike itself never gave me any trouble, and was able to pull myself (about 157lbs) and my girlfriend (about 125lbs) without too much effort for long distance and up/down hills without ever complaining, which surprised the hell out of me. For all the flak I heard about how underpowered 250s are, it seemed like it could do everything a bigger bike could - just a big slower, or with more effort.

I bought it from a local dealership for $3700 as a mildly used 2013 with just over 5000km. Right now it's got just over 10,000km and is sitting in storage elsewhere. Book value according to the dealership is $2500 right now... and I can get more than that, easy. When I go to sell it, I'm hoping to ask $3500 at least for it, potentially more once I get the maintenance out of the way. Clutch/throttle cable play fixed up, chain clean/lube/tension, oil/filter changed and replaced - not to mention a safety once I get an interested buyer.

I want to treat the bike right since it deserves it, and make sure that the next newcomer who gets their hands on it doesn't have to worry that I'm passing them off some piece of crap that I've used and abused. I refuse to just let it go 'as is' like my dad suggests, since that feels like I'd even be selling myself short. I'll post back eventually once I'm able to sell it and tell about how it went, and what I was able to get for it!

Last edited:

iviyth0s

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
That's the nice thing about 250s, they tend to hold their value because there are always new riders looking to get a cheap beginner bike. I'd bet the OP will take pretty minimal losses considering the riding time and experience he got out of it. :thumbup:
Totally, this is what many who forgo such a rewarding experience to start on a bigger bike so they don't "waste money buying a smaller bike" don't understand. I got nearly what I paid for my Ninja and it had almost triple the mileage as when I started with it.

It was nice for getting around town and commuting in general. I went pretty quick and took the highways often. It'll hold 120km/h and below no problem, but above that and up to its (best I got at 6th gear redline and a full tuck on the highway) 170km/h limit it's extremely winded and you have to wait for quite some time to hit that. I'd pay about $10 a tank and get 300km out of it, so as far as mileage was concerned it was a beaut'. The bike itself never gave me any trouble, and was able to pull myself (about 157lbs) and my girlfriend (about 125lbs) without too much effort for long distance and up/down hills without ever complaining, which surprised the hell out of me. For all the flak I heard about how underpowered 250s are, it seemed like it could do everything a bigger bike could - just a big slower, or with more effort.

I bought it from a local dealership for $3700 as a mildly used 2013 with just over 5000km. Right now it's got just over 10,000km and is sitting in storage elsewhere. Book value according to the dealership is $2500 right now... and I can get more than that, easy. When I go to sell it, I'm hoping to ask $3500 at least for it, potentially more once I get the maintenance out of the way. Clutch/throttle cable play fixed up, chain clean/lube/tension, oil/filter changed and replaced - not to mention a safety once I get an interested buyer.

I want to treat the bike right since it deserves it, and make sure that the next newcomer who gets their hands on it doesn't have to worry that I'm passing them off some piece of crap that I've used and abused. I refuse to just let it go 'as is' like my dad suggests, since that feels like I'd even be selling myself short. I'll post back eventually once I'm able to sell it and tell about how it went, and what I was able to get for it!
How many gallons was that mileage calculated on? That max speed isn't too bad considering, even though I'm sure the speedometer was reading a tad optimistic.

Yeah I'm roughly your weight and my ex was like 105lbs and my ninja 250 never had any issues still being fairly spirited and I'm sure your thumper pulled a little better down low with the added passenger. (and in general)

Not a bad deal! I'm betting on you getting what you're asking for if it's still pristine. Though don't go TOO crazy to where you're fixing what isn't broken and then hurting its resale while you consider the costs associated with the maintenance.

Monica A

Reaction score
Visit site
According to their website the 250R holds 3.4 gallons. Seems on average the bike can cover something like 200 or so miles, give or take, before running out of gas - which is pretty solid.

I usually got 225-250 (depending on how spirited I was riding that day lol) miles out of a tank from my FZ6. I'm lucky to get 200 miles out of my Sprint and it has a 5.1 gallon tank. lol I tend to ride it more spirited more often too. hahahaha:spank:

ChanceCoats123

Reaction score
Visit site
I usually got 225-250 (depending on how spirited I was riding that day lol) miles out of a tank from my FZ6. I'm lucky to get 200 miles out of my Sprint and it has a 5.1 gallon tank. lol I tend to ride it more spirited more often too. hahahaha:spank:
You're not the only one. I think I get about 150 mi on the FZ6 before I fill up again (I fill up once the gas light goes on). It's too much fun to crack the throttle that I never see a full tank used efficiently. Oh well. It's smiles per gallon not miles per gallon!

Reaction score
Visit site
So true about the mileage - the FZ6 is just too much damn fun to ride sensibly on all the time, drop a gear and twist the throttle when the weather is good and start smiling. I used to be hitting the last couple of bars on my XJ6 fuel wise at 130 or so miles whereas on the Fazer it is closer to 155 and it usually hits the reserve at 170. Excellent tank range for this type of bike, means one or two less fill ups per week as I do a lot of commute miles.