FZ1 Handlebars installation

Dennis in NH

Reaction score
Visit site
Tools:

Drill and some drill bits (metal capable) about ~1/8" and smaller; I believe final size is about 1/8"
Socket wrench (or any wrench that works in tight spaces)
8mm socket, 10mm, socket, 12mm socket
Medium length thin flat tip screwdriver
Small size phillips screwdriver
5mm allen wrench, 8mm allen wrench
FZ1 bar part # 2D1-26111-01-00 cost me $41.99 from the dealer and took 4 business days to deliver.

Note: this mod is relatively easy and although the instructions seem long, there's really not that much to it; I wrote this all down mainly because I'm one of those people that likes to read about stuff to know what I'm getting into before embarking upon it.

Here's a note on verbiage so you know what to what I'm referring: When sitting on the bike looking at the stock handlebar, on the left, there is a bar end, rubber grip, black plastic turn signal housing, then the clamp for the clutch handle. On the right, there is a bar end, black plastic throttle housing, clamp that holds the brake master cylinder (it holds the brake fluid).

Start by getting the bike stable so it won't fall when you're in there wrenching and coaxing a grip off.

Use 8mm allen wrench to get the bar ends off (lefty loosey); in my case, they had rust on the threads so I also cleaned them with wd-40. This is optional -- but for the anal among us, this is required.

The next major step, and the hardest, is to remove the left grip. You cannot remove the turn signal housing and clutch lever unless the left grip is removed. This grip is held on by glue and we will use the flat tip screwdriver to gently pry it off. Before you can do this effectively, you need to move the turn signal housing and the clutch handle (moving is no biggie since they will eventually come off so you can put them onto the FZ1 bar later).

Use a short phillips screwdriver to remove the two bottom screws from turn signal housing. You will remove 2 screws: the long one goes into the hole that is towards the front of the bike and the smaller one goes into the hole facing the rear of the bike -- this is in reference to when the turn-signal housing is mounted from the factory. This information will become useful upon reassembly.

Remove the clutch switch wires by pushing the tab (so it will go through the square hole) and pulling gently. I remove this so that I can let the turn signal housing dangle without stressing the wires.

Use an 8mm socket wrench and remove the 8mm headed bolt to loosen the clutch lever clamp. Once loose, move the clamp and clutch lever closer toward the center of the handlebars. This will give you more room to maneuver your screwdriver to pry the left grip off.

I loosened the handle bar holder in the center by unbolting (kind of halfway) the four 10mm bolts that hold the handlebar in place. I then moved the handle bar to the left to get room so I can get the clutch lever out of my way.

At this point, you now have room to maneuver your flat tip screwdriver. Take the flat tip screwdriver and insert it between the grip and handlebar. Using the handlebar as a fulcrum, push/pull on the screwdriver gently to loosen/break the glue that holds the grip onto the handlebar. Do this one section at a time and going around the grip on both sides -- the side where the bar end inserts and the opposite side (so you don't have to stick the screwdriver quite so far down the grip). This took me maybe 5-10 minutes -- take your time and do this gently as you want to preserve the left grip for use on the FZ1 bar. Don't rush and don't tire yourself out; use the screwdriver and bar as a nice lever. For me, this took some effort but not enough to tire me at all.

4166763069_2902cb1e81.jpg

When enough glue is broken, you can slide the grip off by twisting and pulling -- firmly but not enough to tip the bike!

At this point, the hardest part of this job is done -- I suggest taking a short break.

Now that the left grip is off, you can slide the clutch lever clamp down and off the left side of the handlebar. At this point, I fully unbolted and removed the four 10mm bolts and removed the handlebar cover. I needed to move the bar to the right to easily get the clamp off. Once off, I let it dangle.

Now, we focus on the right side. Use a 5mm allen wrench to remove the 2 allen bolts holding the master cylinder in place. There will be the 2 allen bolts and a metal collar you can put aside for reassembly later. I then let the master cylinder dangle on the side.

Remove the 2 brake wires from their holes so that you won't put stress on them when you let the brake dangle. The 2 brake wires are covered in flexible semi-clear plastic and slide onto slotted connectors; make note of which one goes where for reassembly time (specifically, the one colored blue faces the rider in seated position).

The next step is to remove the throttle housing and throttle grip. The throttle housing is held in place by three screws (on the bottom) and by a protruding tab that inserts into a small hole in the OEM bar; without this protruding tab, the throttle grip will slide when you twist the throttle grip. Using the phillips screwdriver, remove 3 screws (on the bottom) holding the throttle housing together and onto the bar. I tried to keep the 2 throttle cables and throttle sleeve intact so that I can easily install them on the FZ1 bar with minimal assembly.

4167523636_7755eae5de.jpg

Tip: Although I removed the 3 screws, I did this again and found that you can actually undue the screws just enough to disengage the protruding tab) to be able to pull the throttle assembly off but keep the screws on; this will prevent you from having to keep track of what
screw goes where as each screw is of a different size.

Once the screw are loosened or removed, remove the throttle grip by gently pulling the throttle housing apart -- just enough to disengage the protrusion that goes into the hole on the bar then slide the throttle assembly off of the bar and set the bar aside. Note: My OEM bar had a lot of rust where it was under the throttle grip -- clean this if you want with wd-40 or something else.

4167523326_ef09da174b.jpg

The next step is to mount the throttle housing onto the FZ1 bar. The only problem is that although there is a hole in the FZ1 bar, the hole is in the wrong place. I found that the new one needed to be about 90 degrees counter clockwise and about 7/16" (maybe about 1/2 ") toward the throttle bar end from the one already there. This is where the drill comes in. Mark where you want to make your new hole. Starting with a small drill bit, drill a pilot hole; continue with consecutively larger drill bits until it reaches the size of the hole already there. This sounds involved but it really isn't. I think if you're a tiny bit off, it won't really matter -- just measure and don't be too far off.

4167523806_17ab0b2fa9.jpg

Once your hole is drilled, slide the throttle assembly onto the FZ1 bar and test the fit. If it doesn't fit, re-drill. I think the final drill bit was about 1/8" wide; it is the same size as the hole already drilled. If it fits, reassemble the throttle assembly by putting back the 3 phillips screws.

Now reassembly everything else in roughly the reverse order. Remember to reconnect the clutch wires and brake wires; before tightening the bars into position, be sure to place the bars at full lock on both sides and ensure there is clearance so you don't slam the bars in to the side of the tank. Once reassembled, mount the bike (I did on the center stand) and adjust the brake and clutch angle for optimal fit.

Total time was maybe an hour (with taking pictures and making verbal recordings of what I did). I took another half hour putting back my Ram Mount and adjusting the brake and clutch angle.

4166763151_f0f873bba4.jpg

Here's an extra pic of what I did before the FZ1 bars came (to tide me over for a while). Essentially, I rotated the FZ6 OEM bars way back to almost inverted so that I can get the feel of having clipons that angled downward. It felt pretty good and I was tempted to skip the FZ1 bars altogether. The only problem was that the turn signal and high beam switch positions were just a little too weird for me.

4166762991_c0045fc428.jpg

Anyway, I've had a few weeks with the FZ1 bars and really like the bike this way -- less of an upright touring position and more sporty aggressive feel in the corners.

Dennis

Dennis in NH

Reaction score
Visit site
When you have a moment, could you let me know how much wider the FZ1 bars are than the OEM FZ6 bars?

Happy to help, but, does the picture above showing FZ6 and FZ1 bar side by side not answer your question? If not, can you please elaborate? The bars are same diameter -- e.g., the bar ends fit both bars.

Thanks,

Dennis

Drinky

the Dutchguy
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
the last pic is with the fz1 bars installed right? :p
how does it compare? I mean you said "less of an upright touring position and more sporty aggressive feel in the corners."
but, is it better or worse when driving long distances, is the cornering easier/better?
I like to go out in the mountains and drive roads with lots of hair pins and such, would this be an improvement??
and track use? does it help shave off those extra seconds? :D

Dennis in NH

Reaction score
Visit site
the last pic is with the fz1 bars installed right? :p
how does it compare? I mean you said "less of an upright touring position and more sporty aggressive feel in the corners."
but, is it better or worse when driving long distances, is the cornering easier/better?
I like to go out in the mountains and drive roads with lots of hair pins and such, would this be an improvement??
and track use? does it help shave off those extra seconds? :D

Sure, after putting the OEM bar on a vise, and carefully bending/twisting, you can get it to where you want :D.

The second to last pic is FZ1 bars installed.

I figured there were so many pics of FZ1 bars installed from rider's view so I skipped that part.

For me, the problems I wanted to solve were: I wanted a more aggressive riding position and I've always disliked the OEM bars sloping upward from center of bike (unnatural wrist twist).

I haven't gone long distances with the FZ1 bars but I bet it will be less comfortable than the OEM bars due to leaning over more. IMHO, cornering is much better (because I feel lower and more one with the bike). I think it shaves seconds off my times (I've never been on a track :D) because it feels more sporty.

It reminds me more of riding my old CBRs (clip ons) instead of sitting upright -- IMHO, although more comfortable, sitting upright doesn't look nearly as cool as crouched over :rockon:. Sitting upright makes me feel like I'm riding my bicycle. I think hanging off feels more natural since the FZ1 bars are lower and you can feel like you're resting your outside arm on the tank.

I also think because the FZ1 bar is lower, my hands get less wind.

Dennis

Drinky

the Dutchguy
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
ah great, I know exactly what you mean with the riding position and riding ur bicycle.. I feel a little nerdy on the fz6 lol :Flash:

So I think I'll be paying the local shop a visit to supply me with a fz1 bar, thanks for the answer!!

Cloned

Tiger Trainer
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the write up, I'll be doing this tomorrow.

I have one (stupid) question. Which side is the throttle side? Is it the side with the raised tab (the side that you drill?)

This is the only thing that I'm confused on.

Dennis in NH

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the write up, I'll be doing this tomorrow.

I have one (stupid) question. Which side is the throttle side? Is it the side with the raised tab (the side that you drill?)

This is the only thing that I'm confused on.

Hm... on my bike, the throttle side is the right side -- as if you are in riding position facing forward on the bike. It is the throttle side that requires the drilled hole. Hopefully this is what you mean.

Dennis

Raffe

Reaction score
Visit site
Remove the grips tutorial

To remove the grips I would like to tip on the following video:
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sf-EKwyER74"]Motorcycle handlebar grip removal[/ame]
It took me about one minute to remove the grip with minimum effort!!!

ebster1085

Reaction score
Visit site
Nice install thread, thinking about doing this soon. Is everyone in agreement that drilling a new hole for the throttle side is not necessary? I have read several others threads stating that simply grinding off the tab works fine. Just want to make sure my throttle side does not twist and slide as I get on it...

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Nice install thread, thinking about doing this soon. Is everyone in agreement that drilling a new hole for the throttle side is not necessary? I have read several others threads stating that simply grinding off the tab works fine. Just want to make sure my throttle side does not twist and slide as I get on it...

It should be fine but I drilled the hole. The only thing to add is that the FZ1 bars will need to be kicked up to clear the tank so if you do drill it, you'll want to rotate it downward towards you just tad. If you don't like there - clip the tab.

Xavias

Shenanigans.
Reaction score
Visit site
This would have been more awesome on monday when I did my bar change, but it's still great!

I love my new fz1 bars! Just remember to tighten all nuts after you're done (as I forgot to tighten one and lost the bolt that holds my clutch lever on... Have a new one coming from the dealership this week but yikes it was scary!

NorCal FZ6

Just some dude
Reaction score
Visit site
Great write up. Does anybody have the pics of the plastic tabs as opposed to drilling? I'm a little confused? Will have bars some time this week. Have tools Dremel, grinder, drill. What is preferred method?

Last edited:

ebster1085

Reaction score
Visit site
For me, I am a little paranoid about the idea of the throttle assembly sliding around when I am riding, but after reading several posts by reputable members I am fairly confident that wont be an issue. I also like the idea of being able to move the assemvbly around any which way to suit my feel best.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Great write up. Does anybody have the pics of the plastic tabs as opposed to drilling? I'm a little confused? Will have bars some time this week. Have tools Dremel, grinder, drill. What is preferred method?

A sharp pair of wire side cutters would likely do the task followed by a file a or a very sharp utility knife. Or use the Dremel and sanding drum to clean it up after cutting.
Picture a young vibrant sole holding their mouth wide open. Now picture the mouth wide and with only ONE tooth in the middle while ALL others are gone! :eek: hence the tab in the middle. . . :D

outasight20

Reaction score
Visit site
Anyone else find that the bars are angled too far upward in order to clear the tank? Feels a little un-natural. Like the outside of my hand touches the bar first and then I need to bend my wrist outward a bit to grip the bars.