Strange rear brake wear pattern leads to OOPS!

Fred

M em b er e d
Reaction score
www.robietech.com
So I noticed that there was a strange wear pattern on my rear brake rotor. There was a rough bit near the outer edge, like something was rubbing.

attachment.php

Sensing a problem, I began to take the rear caliper off. And here's where I made a mistake.

To get the caliper off, you only need to remove the rear, 10mm bolt. The front 14mm bolt does not need to be removed. I know this now.

I was unscrewing the front bolt, and it was coming out, and then it got stiff. So I stopped. I tried to turn it back in, but it was stiff in that direction too. Not good. The bolt had seized against the threads.

So with the bolt halfway in and halfway out, there's really nothing to do but get it all the way out. It's painful, because you know you're doing damage. But if you don't, you're not going to be able to fix anything.

So I got a cheater bar and used more force, and got the bolt out. Here's what I found.

That's the hole in the caliper. The innermost 1/3 of the threads are intact, but the rest are gone.

attachment.php

So where did those threads go? Found em!

attachment.php

Ugh. I need a new bolt, and I need to repair the stripped out threads in the caliper. So much for going for a ride tomorrow.

And what was causing the wear to the brake rotor? Here's the culprit.

attachment.php

The circle is around the spot that was causing the problem. It's an larger than normal chunk of copper that is embedded in the brake pad material. The pads are sintered metal. This piece of metal is bigger than it should be and is casuing abnormal wear on the rotor.

Anyway, the lessons for all of you.

1. Watch for abnormal wear on your rotors.

2. You should NEVER need to remove that front bolt. Remove the rear one and the caliper will swing up and then slide off to the right side of the bike.

3. Any time that you have a steel bolt going into aluminum, hit it with some penetrating oil and let it soak in for a while before you try to remove it. What happened to me, I'm sure, is a small speck of grunge or corrosion on the steel threads jammed up against the softer aluminum. As I kept turning, it picked up aluminum like a snowplow, making the problem worse and worse. And by the time I felt it, the torn out aluminum was big enough that I couldn't turn the bolt back in past the innermost, intact threads.

I made a choice between tearing out the inner threads (and having a stuck bolt) and tearing out the outer threads and getting the bolt out.

It's not terminal, but it sure is a pain in the ass. I'll need a thread repair kit, a new bolt, and new brake pads to fix the problem.

Fred

Moses195

Reaction score
Visit site
HOLY S$$$! I would think there is a bolt shop somewhere in town? I found a little hole in the wall shop here in ABQ. that has all the metric stuff for quite a good price. Open Saturdays too. Just a thought.

Fred

M em b er e d
Reaction score
www.robietech.com
Were it a normal bolt, I'd do just that. But it's a pin that is designed to let the caliper float side to side. In theory, I could turn a bolt down to the right size and make it work. But since the bike is essentially hauled to a stop by this bolt and one other, I don't want to risk it. If it's not made right, it could snap off, causing me to literally lose my rear brakes.

I'll wait the week.

Fred

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
What's wrong with the bolt? You really never HAVE to use that bolt that I can think of (maybe to rebuild the caliper...not sure). So why not just load it up with some red lock tight and torque it back in there? It's got some threading to hold. Not safe? If it's tight, I wouldn't be too concerned.

I know doing it the right way is better....but I'd hate to miss a day of riding and have to pay for such BS.

Fred

M em b er e d
Reaction score
www.robietech.com
What's wrong with the bolt? You really never HAVE to use that bolt that I can think of (maybe to rebuild the caliper...not sure). So why not just load it up with some red lock tight and torque it back in there? It's got some threading to hold. Not safe? If it's tight, I wouldn't be too concerned.

That silver stuff you see on the bolt is aluminum from the caliper. It's filled up the threads, so there's no way that the bolt could ever thread back in.

Fred

Mac fz6n

Reaction score
Visit site
That silver stuff you see on the bolt is aluminum from the caliper. It's filled up the threads, so there's no way that the bolt could ever thread back in.

Fred

If you clamp the bolt in a vice, you might be able to remove the aluminum from the thread!
The steel bolt is probably still ok. I've done this in the past on various cars, bikes, etc...

If there is enough thread left you might not need to repair it. Worth a go before you spend too much time and money. :thumbup:

Mac.
:aus: :aus:

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site

Fred

Twist it off with a rag or push it out with a screw driver. Or has it really made love to that thing and isn't coming off no matter what? Can't you use some of that fancy oil you mentioned above?

Not trying to tell you you're taking the wrong course....just thinking out loud. Your plan sounds good to me....just not necessarily what I'd do....course it's hard to say from over here.

Fred

M em b er e d
Reaction score
www.robietech.com
It's certainly worth a try to clean up the bolt. It's ruined now, so I can either fix it, or it stays ruined. I'll give it a go this weekend.

n1one

RIP Tom Eden
Reaction score
Visit site
Fred,

Thanks for the heads up, I will check mine tomorrow when I wash her up!

Good luck getting yours back together!:Flash:

W

wrightme43

Hey Fred we have that happen sometimes at work. Wire wheel, a die, and a helicoil seem to fix them right up. Hope it helps.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I would think those aluminum threads would peel off the steel bolt with the help of a small screwdriver. Run a good nut/die over the bolt and it should be good to go...

Maybe a little bit of "anti seize" on the threads when put back together to keep it from happening again?

Last edited:

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Were it a normal bolt, I'd do just that. But it's a pin that is designed to let the caliper float side to side. In theory, I could turn a bolt down to the right size and make it work. But since the bike is essentially hauled to a stop by this bolt and one other, I don't want to risk it. If it's not made right, it could snap off, causing me to literally lose my rear brakes.

I'll wait the week.

Fred

Can't you clean up that bolt with a wire wheel? should be able to get the corrosion off at the same time and then make sure you put antiseize on it to curb the corrosion.

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the tip Fred, just really sorry you had to discover this for the rest of us!

The bolt can be cleaned up. Wire brush and a little torch action. Don't heat the bolt much or you'll hurt the temper. Just carefully heat the aluminum chunks and keep hitting them with the wire brush. The bolt, being hardened steel, should give up that aluminum easily and be 100% savlagable. After it is cleaned, run a properly sized die over the threads a couple times to smotth and clean them out.

Norbert

crash tested
Reaction score
Visit site
Hmmm.
I think I have a similar problem. Or not.
My bolt looked like yours, except that the threads were solid towards the top of the bolt. I didn't have any problems taking it off. However, since the threads were solid towards the top, I couldn't screw the bolt all the way in.
I posted this as a result:
http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-technical/18356-rear-caliper-bolt-not-screwing.html

Seems that other people had the same problem, or not a problem at all.
I did this about 300 miles ago, so far no problems with my rear brake caliper.

What do you guys think?

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hmmm.
I think I have a similar problem. Or not.
My bolt looked like yours, except that the threads were solid towards the top of the bolt. I didn't have any problems taking it off. However, since the threads were solid towards the top, I couldn't screw the bolt all the way in.
I posted this as a result:
http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-technical/18356-rear-caliper-bolt-not-screwing.html

Seems that other people had the same problem, or not a problem at all.
I did this about 300 miles ago, so far no problems with my rear brake caliper.

What do you guys think?

I'd pull that bolt out and check the threads to make sure their clean. As mentioned earlier, the bolt is steel, the threads on the caliber, aluminum. Make sure the hole is clean inside and the threads intact. Once all is clean, I'd put some anti seize on the threads (for bolting dissimilar metals together) with some brake grease on the pin itself so the caliber can float and slow down corrosion/water intrusion.