storage of motorcycle and liability to structure

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
well then I suppose that I will utilize a remote location in which to store the motorcycle. I still find this frustrating because just two years ago this building was a garage. They replaced the garage door with french doors, put a stove and a shower in here and now they call it a studio. It shares an address with the coinciding house so I highly doubt that it is insured as a dwelling.

You know. I don't want to tell you to cause waves which could potentially get you evicted here, BUT......

I am a civil engineer and I deal directly with the building industry, mostly residential. Half of the time a "garage" is converted into living space IT IS ILLEGAL. 1. Do they have a permit to convert that structure to living space? 2. Does it meet code? 3. Do they have a septic permit to add a bedroom to the existing septic system or service? If not then you are still living in a "garage" and a bike is perfectly suitable to be stored there. :rolleyes:

BlackAndBlue

Reaction score
Visit site
You know. I don't want to tell you to cause waves which could potentially get you evicted here, BUT......

I am a civil engineer and I deal directly with the building industry, mostly residential. Half of the time a "garage" is converted into living space IT IS ILLEGAL. 1. Do they have a permit to convert that structure to living space? 2. Does it meet code? 3. Do they have a septic permit to add a bedroom to the existing septic system or service? If not then you are still living in a "garage" and a bike is perfectly suitable to be stored there. :rolleyes:

I figured that to be the case from day one. I know it doesn't completely meet code. I'm not sure if they got a permit to put the wall in or for the septic situation. So those two permits make it a legal dwelling and is insured as one?

mike_v

Reaction score
Visit site
I figured that to be the case from day one. I know it doesn't completely meet code. I'm not sure if they got a permit to put the wall in or for the septic situation. So those two permits make it a legal dwelling and is insured as one?

You might want to be careful asking your landlord those questions. And if he did not get the permits you may be looking for a new place to live.

I also work in the civil engineering world.

Dry Martini

Reaction score
Visit site

Maybe half are illegal in the commonwealth. :D In other locales as long as the proper permits are obtained and the renovation meets code, it is perfectly legal. As for septic systems, most all but very rural areas are on a city/county sewer system, and no such septic permit is needed.

In my area, plenty of older homes with useless one car garage and or carports have been converted into living space. I doubt half of them ever bothered to have a permit. The only problem comes when they reassess that property and find improvements. Then they increase your property tax. So in his case, if that garage is now being used as an apartment, and they are making an income from it, the municipality would no longer see it as a garage, but a commercial living space. What are the local fire codes regarding the storage of flammable liquids in a living space?

This goes beyond the simple matter of homeowners insurance.

This space intentionally left blank.

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
Maybe half are illegal in the commonwealth. :D In other locales as long as the proper permits are obtained and the renovation meets code, it is perfectly legal. As for septic systems, most all but very rural areas are on a city/county sewer system, and no such septic permit is needed.

In my area, plenty of older homes with useless one car garage and or carports have been converted into living space. I doubt half of them ever bothered to have a permit. The only problem comes when they reassess that property and find improvements. Then they increase your property tax. So in his case, if that garage is now being used as an apartment, and they are making an income from it, the municipality would no longer see it as a garage, but a commercial living space. What are the local fire codes regarding the storage of flammable liquids in a living space?

This goes beyond the simple matter of homeowners insurance.

Over 40% of all residential homes in the US are on private onsite septic systems, not connected to municipal sewage treatment plants. I deal with permitting for septic in 19 US states. Some states are lax about it but in most states it's more than just a problem for tax assessment or real estate transaction if you have say 5 bedrooms on a 4 bedroom septic permit. The Health Department can actually force you to bring the system into permit and compliance or you will pay fines until you do.

If you have the property address do a real estate search. The permitted number of bedrooms will be public information.

Personally if it were me in this situation and I found out the "apartment" I was paying good money to rent was not actually legally an apartment but a garage that someone is making extra money renting as living space I would expect them to let me keep my bike in the garage or I'd be looking for a new place to rent.

Dry Martini

Reaction score
Visit site
Over 40% of all residential homes in the US are on private onsite septic systems, not connected to municipal sewage treatment plants. I deal with permitting for septic in 19 US states. Some states are lax about it but in most states it's more than just a problem for tax assessment or real estate transaction if you have say 5 bedrooms on a 4 bedroom septic permit. The Health Department can actually force you to bring the system into permit and compliance or you will pay fines until you do.

If you have the property address do a real estate search. The permitted number of bedrooms will be public information.

Personally if it were me in this situation and I found out the "apartment" I was paying good money to rent was not actually legally an apartment but a garage that someone is making extra money renting as living space I would expect them to let me keep my bike in the garage or I'd be looking for a new place to rent.

According to the government numbers I have seen, it is more like 25%. I guess it depends on where you get your numbers.

If I found myself in that situation, I would be moving! Because that is the sort of situation where insurance companies will deny claims, if there is any discrepancy in the information given to them regarding renter's insurance, etc. then there is the potential safety issue. Was this renovation to proper electoral and fire codes?

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
According to the government numbers I have seen, it is more like 25%. I guess it depends on where you get your numbers.

If I found myself in that situation, I would be moving! Because that is the sort of situation where insurance companies will deny claims, if there is any discrepancy in the information given to them regarding renter's insurance, etc. then there is the potential safety issue. Was this renovation to proper electoral and fire codes?

Residential single family homes, not counting apartments/townhomes. A house with a detached garage is a residential single family home.

I will admit this thread has made me start to think about my own situation. I store my bikes in my partially finished walk out basement because I don't like leaving them outside in the shed but fact of the matter is if I had a house fire that started in my basement my insurance may try to screw me if I had a motorcycle in there. I think I may bite the bullet and build a proper motorcycle garage.

Dry Martini

Reaction score
Visit site
Residential single family homes, not counting apartments/townhomes. A house with a detached garage is a residential single family home.

Homes was the wording used one the EPA website, based on census data.

I will admit this thread has made me start to think about my own situation. I store my bikes in my partially finished walk out basement because I don't like leaving them outside in the shed but fact of the matter is if I had a house fire that started in my basement my insurance may try to screw me if I had a motorcycle in there. I think I may bite the bullet and build a proper motorcycle garage.

Yes, your insurance company may have a problem with that. In a similar sotuation (though the homeowners were clueless) this house had a gas water heater installed under the house, not 18" off the ground. There is nothing wrong with that, but guess where the owners stored their lawnmowers and gas can. Yes, under the house. :-0