storage of motorcycle and liability to structure

BlackAndBlue

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm being told that I cannot keep my motorcycle in my dwelling because it voids the owners insurance on the dwelling. I realize that renters insurance does not cover damage to the structure, but will insurance really be voided because there is a motorcycle inside of a dwelling? Sounds like an excuse to me just because old school people think it's weird.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Define dwelling.
If its not a garage or an approved "vehicle" parking space it may be true.
Beyond that, they may enforce proof of insurance or even increased insurance in the event of say; falling/tipping and/or harming someone regardless of the reason. But wind gusts, uncontrolled children, and @ssholes come to mind.

Love@FirstRide

Reaction score
Visit site
My friend in florida who is renting keeps 3 bikes and a dirt bike inside his living room and 1 bike garage because his roommate is a motorcycle mechanic..

I'm thinking its just them being mean..(for lack if an appropriate word)

ask them to show it to you in your lease?

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
^^ that may be true but I'd have to think its not the best choice. As much as I love bikes, I wouldn't want my neighbor storing them in the house and I doubt the fire department would rush in knowing theres 14 gallons of gas waiting for them!

Playing the devils advocate its no different than townhouse with car below it or an attached garage. Cars or bikes with Fuel & batteries have potential energy. Should something go wrong, you need a new home!

A family member sells insurance so....

BlackAndBlue

Reaction score
Visit site
I tend to think that they are just using the insurance issue as an excuse because they didn't like that i brought it in without asking. My initial thought was that if a motorcycle in the dwelling voided the insurance, then any kind of flammable liquid and batteries would all do the same. But no, stoves with pilot lights, any battery, any amount of almost any type of fuel, ammunition, liquor, and all kinds of other dangerous things never seem to affect homeowners insurance...

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I would say insurance companies might have a problem with a vehicle stored in a dwelling and so might the fire dept and municipal codes.

Vehicles often have electrical or other type fires and adding an accelerant like gasoline makes it more of a threat in an enclosed area.

When thinking of structures there are time rating for when types, area or walls are compromised so it's not just the actual location but the fire rating of a structure's architectural design that includes materials.

It can be more complex than what it seems on the surface so you might understand why an underwriter might say you're not covered.

Also, if running in your house, what is the potential of the clutch slipping at 14000 RPM compared to your toaster!? :eek::rockon:

Last edited:

BlackAndBlue

Reaction score
Visit site
running it in the house is a different story!

this is just particularly discontenting for me as if the motorcycle can't be in here, it goes outside. also, i live in a GARAGE that has been converted to an apartment. it still has the concrete floor. I would bet that it's still insured as such as well.

the point about the garages attached to houses was a good one as well. i have seen countless attached garages with just the same plain old drywall, unfinished, protecting the contents of the garage from the rest of the house, as there is lining this garage. I don't see how a motorcycle in this isolated garage could be more of a liability than a garage that is attached to a house in the typical fashion.

Last edited:

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
<snip>
Also, if running in your house, what is the potential of the clutch slipping at 14000 RPM compared to your toaster!? :eek::rockon:

You must be referring to this old article;
In 1998, toasters caused 2200 home fires, 20 deaths and 90 injuries. Over $13.3 million in residential property damage also occurred as a direct result of home fires started by toasters. In 1990, 2700 toaster-generated home fires occurred, resulting in 10 deaths and 80 injuries.

So the question is, how many lives would be lost if every bike had a house (like toasters)!! :confused:

Dry Martini

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm being told that I cannot keep my motorcycle in my dwelling because it voids the owners insurance on the dwelling.

It may very well void their coverage. At the very least, the insurance co. has no knowledge of the bike, and if they did, they would likely increase the owner's premium for the added risk. Storing a bike in the house is not the same as in a garage. A garage is vented or at the least, well partitioned to keep gasoline fumes from entering the dwelling. Gas fumes and an ignition source make for a very bad day.

Now if you stored the bike in the house with a completely dry tank, no oil, or coolant, and called it installation art, I doubt they would object

This space intentionally left blank.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
You must be referring to this old article;
In 1998, toasters caused 2200 home fires, 20 deaths and 90 injuries. Over $13.3 million in residential property damage also occurred as a direct result of home fires started by toasters. In 1990, 2700 toaster-generated home fires occurred, resulting in 10 deaths and 80 injuries.

So the question is, how many lives would be lost if every bike had a house (like toasters)!! :confused:

http://www.reddit.com/r/cars/comments/1qb8xb/an_average_of_152300_vehicles_catch_fire_in_the/
Data from the National Fire Protection Association:

U.S. fire departments responded to an estimated average of 152,300 automobile fires per year in 2006-2010. These fires caused an average of 209 civilian deaths, 764 civilian injuries, and $536 million in direct property damage.

Facts and Figures

Automobile fires were involved in 10% of reported U.S. fires, 6% of U.S. fire deaths.

On average, 17 automobile fires were reported per hour. These fires killed an average of four people every week.

Mechanical or electrical failures or malfunctions were factors in roughly two-thirds of the automobile fires.

Collisions and overturns were factors in only 4% of highway vehicle fires, but these incidents accounted for three of every five (60%) automobile fire deaths.

Only 2% of automobile fires began in fuel tanks or fuel lines, but these incidents caused 15% of the automobile fire deaths.

Although these are listed as automobile fires and probably most occurred outside of residences, insurance companies probably feel motorcycles are more dangerous than toasters in every sense of the word. This is also probably do to a demographic related to it's ownership. Most toaster users are identified with a different demographic than MC users.

It's easy to understand insurance companies are in the the business of not paying claims. You never get back back what you lost unless you're paying extra. :(

And...........Lol! Blah[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7utq34aCMs[/ame]

BlackAndBlue

Reaction score
Visit site
well then I suppose that I will utilize a remote location in which to store the motorcycle. I still find this frustrating because just two years ago this building was a garage. They replaced the garage door with french doors, put a stove and a shower in here and now they call it a studio. It shares an address with the coinciding house so I highly doubt that it is insured as a dwelling.

Dry Martini

Reaction score
Visit site
well then I suppose that I will utilize a remote location in which to store the motorcycle. I still find this frustrating because just two years ago this building was a garage. They replaced the garage door with french doors, put a stove and a shower in here and now they call it a studio. It shares an address with the coinciding house so I highly doubt that it is insured as a dwelling.

Regardless of what it is currently insured as, the insurance co. would not want to pay out on a potential house fire, caused by an indoor stored motorcycle.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Make sure you find a garage for your bike, otherwise it will become a prime target for it to be stolen. Where do your neighbors park? Do they have garages?

Dry Martini

Reaction score
Visit site
Make sure you find a garage for your bike, otherwise it will become a prime target for it to be stolen. Where do your neighbors park? Do they have garages?

I doubt an FZ6 is high on the "bikes to steal" list. :D

On a more serious note, many riders who live in an apartment, have no choice but to park outside.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
When it comes to stealing a bike, they are not too picky. If there is an opportunity they will take advantage of it. Plenty of apartments that have garages, but they cost extra. One of my requirement living in one, must be able to have a garage. Apartment complexes are one of the most common areas where bikes get stolen.

Dry Martini

Reaction score
Visit site
When it comes to stealing a bike, they are not too picky. If there is an opportunity they will take advantage of it. .

Sure they are. BMWs (except for the S1000rr) are some of the least stolen motorcycles. :D

There is a list of bikes from most to least desirable. While the FZ6 may be above a BMW, it is far from a full on sport bike.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Sure they are. BMWs (except for the S1000rr) are some of the least stolen motorcycles. :D

There is a list of bikes from most to least desirable. While the FZ6 may be above a BMW, it is far from a full on sport bike.

The reason why BMW and Harley's are less likely to be stolen. Most or all are kept in the garage! The key point is having the bike stored in the garage vs leaving it out overnight.

Most Stolen Motorcycles | Motorcycle Theft Rates - Consumer Reports News

Dry Martini

Reaction score
Visit site
The reason why BMW and Harley's are less likely to be stolen. Most or all are kept in the garage! The key point is having the bike stored in the garage vs leaving it out overnight.

Most Stolen Motorcycles | Motorcycle Theft Rates - Consumer Reports News

That is probably true for HD. Most are not ridden much. BMWs are rarely stolen, because the people that would buy/steal a bike, are not looking for a slow, overweight motorcycle.

The_Paragon

Thats right, Paragon!
Reaction score
Visit site
I can see that. Modern building codes require a "fire resistant" wall between vehicle storage areas and living space. Now, some older places are probably grandfathered in and dont follow that code. But I can see how that would have the right to cancel your policy over it. I work with insurance companies at work and they cancel our mortgage & farm loan customer for things like, 'unkept property', or 'overgrown grass' and multitudes of other things.

On another note, during college I was told by my R.A. (person in charge of the dorms) that I couldnt keep my Mtn bike in my dorm room; it was a $2000 mtn bike that i raced with. If I left it sit outside, i would dissappear within the hour. Guaranteed. I told the R.A. where to go(not nicely either), and kept my bike in my dorm room from there from that day on.

BlackAndBlue

Reaction score
Visit site
I've finally determined that the excuse of liability in the event of a fire was just steam. I checked with the renters insurance provider and I am covered in the event of damage/destruction of the building resulting from my own negligence. So if it's my fault, like I brought a motorcycle inside that spontaneously combusted (even though I let it cool off before I brought it in and then disconnected the battery), the building is covered. This still doesn't actually help me because what it really means is that the land lord actually realizes that it's a BS restriction and putting a hole in the excuse used would just piss them off. Oh well.

As for the figures concerning vehicle fires and deaths, how many of those do you really think came from cool, parked, well repaired vehicles? How about vehicles such as those with the batteries disconnected? This situation was not about riding or running a motorcycle in the garage that I'm living in, it was just about its presence. If a cool, mechanically sound FZ6 with the battery disconnected could start a fire, or cause an otherwise small and harmless fire to become a destructive one, I'd be willing to take liability for it! But oh well.