Potential Riders MUST READ!!!!!

did you actualy read the whole artical?

• Total voters

Ryan T

P.P.P.P.P.P
Reaction score
Visit site
Yes,

I did read the entire threat and there are many different views. Bottom line, while the FZ6 is a good starter for some it can be a terrible mistake for others. There are a few factors to consider when deciding if this should be your first bike.

First and far most is your attitude about riding. If you are wild and crazy with little self control then this IS NOT for you. It's one thing to say you will be responsible but it's totally different when you are riding.

Next, knowledge, training and expert instruction. I spent more time reading about riding techniques, drills and practice, safety, and riding mindsets well before I got on my bike. So, once on, my mindset had all those things in the forefront.

Practice: Before riding in traffic, I spent hours each day in an empty parking lot doing stop and go drills, braking, turning, etc. Of course, I would take the path of least traffic to my practice spot.

Once again, mindset - when you decide to ride, you MUST commit yourself to having safety and riding within your means at the forefront of your decision making.

Last, ride with the proper gear. I started out doing this and then slipped into the "it's too hot for a jacket" well, one day I had an off, not bad but bad enough to leave roadrash (shoulder and forearm, those areas where a jacket had armor and padding). If I had my jacket on, there would be no roadrash. So, WEAR YOUR GEAR!! Helment, gloves, boots, pants (kevlar), and jacket. Leather is great but if you can't afford it then go the other route, just make sure it's gear for motorcycle riding. I've learned my lesson and now I'm passing it on.

Enjoy your ride.:Flash:

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
i think maybe it's a bit different for us brits, though most of the arguments still probably hold some water.

most people start out on a 125 when they learn, usually until they are at test standard or have mastered the basics.

if you do DAS then you are trained on around a 500CC bike that has at least 46.6bhp, pass your test on this and you can ride anything, but you need to be over 21 to do this.

the other option is to do your test on a 125 and then you get a restricted licence, you can ride anythign but it has to be limited to 33bhp for 2 years.

i think with this system it usually means riders are a little bit more mature and perhaps of a better quality. though as somebody who has just passed I have a lot to learn.

however if you've done DAS then you would find a 250cc bike a bit too small, and most people would opt for a 500-600cc bike depending on how much insurance costs.

The fazer is a bit of a step up from the CB500 I learned on, however it wasn't a massive leap, especiall as most of the power is higher up the rev range (well after the engine starts purring :D)

if you have a restricted licence then you have 2 years of riding a castrated bike, which should be enough time to build up some proper road sense

Spiderman19

Reaction score
Visit site
Good article and good advice. The only comment I had about this is that I went to a dealer first because I didn't have anybody I knew well enough to speak with about this. I spent a great deal of time at the dealer over several visits talking about it, looking at bikes and just considering my options. The dealer (yamaha) said this was a great starter bike (my FZ6), and they happen to have one used that I bought. So far, I feel OK with the decision, I haven't ridden extensively, but spent a number of hours in large parking lots just getting comfortable with shifting, controlling the bike and riding it.

I wish I had seen this forum and that article first. But overall, I feel comfortable with where I started.

XTRAWLD

Reaction score
Visit site
Fantastic write up. Pure and simple.

I'd like to share some of my thoughts, since I sort of am new to this game.

I started riding in 2008 on my brand spankin' new Ninja 250. I nearly purchased a CBR125 but was actually frightened that it was TOO small for me.

My Ninja 250 is a very capable, very forgiving and confidence inspiring ride for a beginner. I went through full graduated licensing here in Ontario on this bike over the course of 2 years. I rode the bike in 2010 for my first ever official bike trip of 4 days from Toronto, through to Lake Placid, up Whiteface Mountain and down to Lake George and back, accompanied by my husband (nearly mentor) who has been riding for 20 years (he also started on dirt bikes and low cc's.) Yes the little Ninja that could screamed it's heart out on the highways and interstates, through the twisties and long sweepers, and to the top of that mountain of 4867 ft. It can do it! I can do it!

I am ready to upgrade mentally because I feel I have developed the skills necessary to do so. The notion of going above 500cc actually scares me. The logical step my husband and I have agreed to is with an FZ. The bike fits me better than any other bike. It suits what we want to do with it (tour for a week or two annually). I read what you have written, and am slightly scared of what my future may bring. The Ninja at this point is limiting to me and to go to an FZ is exciting but I am extremely respectful of the bike I am about to embark on.

It is always better to be more fearful than to be ****y.

Thank you for taking the time to write that information down. Regardless of the fact it was done years ago, it will never go out of style and the information is always pertinent. I hope that new riders will read what was laid out there and really take your words and thoughts and process them in a positive manner and that they make the right decision to start small and work their way up. I did. And I'm SO happy I did.

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I have now had my 2009 fz6n for 4 days.
what a different ride to my 2005 honda vtr.
I'm 50,rode dirt from late teens to mid 20's got back on the tar at 48 and a new riding experience. the Honda was perfect to re learn how to ride and get used to the tin tops Now the fz is a new lesson again. I am so glad i got used to the environment before starting to learn how to ride a gutsier machine.
my son rides a vtr too, has been for 6 months and is just now feeling that he has enough bike control to be able to concentrate on what the traffic around him is doing. Frankly, the fz6 would freak him it does me when i twist that grip a little more than I need to. I dont need to impress anyone and I don't care if I'm late anymore, so it will take a while to get over 6k rpm.
The bike is more comfortable, if a lot heavier, than the vtr. It corners beautifully, handles brilliantly, brakes how i expect it to. But i respect that it will run away from me if I don't pay due attention. Importantly, its all up to me and how I apply myself to the task at hand. Experience cant be given as a gift, bought or sold, you have to work hard at it, use it or lose it. And some days are better than others.
Whatever, just be damn sure you are ready to move up to a bike with plenty of get up and go. Its not a toy!

Last edited:

amanlisman

Reaction score
Visit site
Lots of interesting points raised in this long thread.

Here in France, by law you must take a minimum of 20 hours of driving lessons before taking the test. 99% of motoring schools use CBF 500s or ER-5s (now ER-6).

Once the test passed, if you're under 21, you are limited to 34 bhp (like in Germany it seems) for two years. Otherwise, you do what you like (which was my case: I was 37 when I started riding bikes).

Funny thing though, no one buys less than 600 cc bikes as a beginner bike. There simply isn't anything smaller than 600 cc on the market (leaving aside scooters). CB500s are few and far between. GPZ500s are more common, I suppose, but they're not made anymore. The most popular bike here is the Suzuki Bandit 650, for reasons of price no doubt.

I started on a Honda Seven Fifty with 72 bhp, then moved onto the FZ6. I'd be happier with much less power but you buy what you find. At the end of the day, if you're not tempted by speed (I must be boring because 80 - 100 kph is enough to keep me happy), the FZ6 is a very easy ride. There's not much explosive power low down (provided you take care with the throttle).

Age probably has something to do with it too.

Drive safe folks!

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
aren't all bike limited to 100bhp in france anyway?

i think most of europe has fairly similar guidelines about bikes

rjo3491

Missing The Fiz-Sometimes
Reaction score
Visit site
The FZ6 was the third bike I'd ever ridden. The first two were in MSF. Twenty thousand miles now, never had an issue.

SamuraiMark

n00b++
Reaction score
Visit site
At the end of the day, the issue is this: With the FZ6, at least the original ones with the 96HP engine, a mistake is possibly a 96HP mistake.

On my MSF course last weekend, one of the students panicked after accidentally laying on the throttle (little 140cc enduro ... maybe 12HP). Wouldn't let go, roll off, brake, ... Zipped across the parking lot (first gear only), jumped the curb, fell over. No injury, but scared as hell. Had she made that same mistake on an FZ6, in first gear ... well, certainly much greater potential for a much worse outcome.

Do you want 15HP under you when you lock up? Or 96HP?

That said, I just finished my MSF course, and I'm off to London (Ontario) next week to pick up, and drive home, my '06 FZ6. About 450kms of road. It's my first bike. But it's already bought. That was before I started reading this thread! So wish me luck, and I'll just blow on the throttle all the way home. Maybe I'll go shopping for some better boots and jacket.

Zoiks.

SamuraiMark

n00b++
Reaction score
Visit site
You'll be fine. The FZ6 has pretty tame power delivery and a very stable chassis, it is pretty hard to get it out of shape. :thumbup:

Thanks. I should mention I'm not doing the full distance in one go. I'm driving half way to a buddy's place, staying overnight, doing the rest the day after.

I passed my M2 (Ontario graduated licensing) test after my MSF course, but cannot upgrade until Sept 14th (minimum 60 day requirement with the M1 'learners') so I'm not allowed on the 400 series roads (freeways/'interstates'). I'll be taking the scenic route following regional highways.

It'll be a long trip, but I'm looking forward to it. Keep the throttle down, lots of stops along the way.

Cheers,
Mark

red_rock_beetle

Reaction score
Visit site
i read the artical and it kind of makes me want a 250, i guess the good thing about the FZ it the power delivery below 7K coupled with trying to move my big a$$ i think its fine for me. yes i have had it to redline in first and scared the crap out of me doing so, it gave me a very healthy respect for the bike and i treat it like the potential rocket it is, since i took it to redline the first time i think i have had it over 8K rpm's maybe 4 times, for the most part i keep it below 5500 where power delivery is low and smooth. I hate to use an excuse mentioned in this article but because of my size and respect for the machine (there's two excuses in one) i think this bike is fine to start with. :ban:

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Just re read the whole article again, prob after 6 months or so, its good to put it all in perspective again

Qwibby

Scarlet
Reaction score
Visit site
I read the article, and honestly second guessed buying the FZ. However, I dont think I have had it above 6000 rpms at all, I drive a car like a grandmother and most of that hs transferred to my riding. There are those times I like to get frisky in a car and drive fast, but I'll have to curb those times on the bike. I respect it's power and hopefully in return it helps my riding skills improve

lazerfazer

Reaction score
Visit site
the ninja 650r & er6n (same bike, but the er6n is the naked version) and the verseys are all good beginner bikes

degake

Stop flashing!! G$*%£#
Reaction score
Visit site
If someone sold a full sized sport bike with around 50hp I think it'd be perfect for big guys like me, I'd buy a 50hp FZ4:thumbup:

If you really want a full sized sport bike with a low amount of power, why don't you get yourself a restricting kit for the FZ6? (Restriction reduces power to 33bhp...)

Grtz,

Degake

crowelor

Reaction score
Visit site
I like this article. I think it addresses most(if not all) of the thoughts that young/first time riders have when trying to pick a first bike, as well as the justifications they try to use to make their decisions.

I took the MSF course on a 250 and was glad to have that size in the class. Unfortunately, I was given a bike(didn't have cash for one) to ride by my father-in-law, and it didn't fit in the beginner bike category. It's a 94 Honda CB1000, so power numbers are similar to the FZ6. It's tame down low and I've never had an unmanageable surge, but I'm very cautious.

I attribute my 3 years and 15,000 miles of problem free riding to cautious defensive driving and luck. The biggest strategy for me was to slowly build my riding situation difficulty from parking lots first, then to neighborhood streets, then to FM roads and finally to highways. All the while, I concentrated on keeping myself in the safest positions and anticipating moves from cagers.