Socal racers, unite! [[now w/ PICS]] - May 25th - Willow Springs

oso2k

Reaction score
Visit site
Re: Socal racers, unite! - May 25th - Willow Springs

Thanks Louis :) why don't you join us on the track?? :) It'd be cool to see you again... been a while!

I'd love to be able to commit to this but it's ~8 weeks before my wedding and I don't know if I might have something else to do. And temps should be a bit milder than the 103F day (120F+ reportedly on the track and black top by TrackDaz) I did a couple years ago at the end of August. Hmmm...I'll look into this again in a couple weeks.

PowellB

Reaction score
Visit site

Hey we'll be there on the 17th - at the big track. Look for us in a cargo van & canopy!

-Mark

Sweet! I'll find you. I'm in the C Group.

I'm still trying to figure out how to get the bikes up there. Trying to rent a Uhual pickup and trailer, but they're "out of trailers". Looking into United Rentals. Clock's a ticking...

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Not +1 but X100. I'm usually completely whipped for 2 to three days after a track day; dehydrated, sore and very tired. After my Monday event I finally felt like going for my daily 30 minute run today and I'm going to the gym tonight. I didn't even unload my truck that night; got home, took a nice hot shower, ate a huge dinner and went to bed at 8:30. It would be too dangerous to ride home.

+1 to MarinaFazer's response.

Waking up super early + Riding up there + racing all day + riding back (assuming you did not crash during the day) can be done, but really it would KICK your ass and wouldn't be safe... I am completely beat after a track day...
Another solution would be to ride up there the evening before, sleep in a hotel, race all day the next day and stay in a hotel again that night to ride back the next morning... but again, if something happens on the track, and your bike is messed up, you're stuck.

Better solution is to trailer your bike up there... you can rent a uhaul trailer for $30/day, and if you have a front wheel lock and some straps, you're good to go!

oso2k

Reaction score
Visit site

Sweet! I'll find you. I'm in the C Group.

I'm still trying to figure out how to get the bikes up there. Trying to rent a Uhual pickup and trailer, but they're "out of trailers". Looking into United Rentals. Clock's a ticking...

BTW, HarborFreight has some great prices on cheap, small trailers that could easily be outfitted with 1"x4" planks or any other wood. Would definitely work being hooked up to a subaru. They also sell cheap wheel chocks that actually work really well. And lastly, I noticed in that last mailer that they're now offering rear bike stands for $37 that can be adapted with a $10 adapter (which they also sell) to front stands.

For about $600, you could make yourself a decent little one or two motorcycle trailer.

Cali rider

Reaction score
Visit site

BTW, HarborFreight has some great prices on cheap, small trailers that could easily be outfitted with 1"x4" planks or any other wood. Would definitely work being hooked up to a subaru. They also sell cheap wheel chocks that actually work really well. And lastly, I noticed in that last mailer that they're now offering rear bike stands for $37 that can be adapted with a $10 adapter (which they also sell) to front stands.

For about $600, you could make yourself a decent little one or two motorcycle trailer.

There's quite a few on Craigslist right now...under $600

PowellB

Reaction score
Visit site

Thanks oso and Cali, but it looks like I've got a decent deal on a Cube truck (with lift) from Galpin. Since I drive a MINI Cooper S and can't/won't put a hitch on it, I needed to rent a tow vehicle too. It got complicated trying rent both and I wanted something secure for thurs night storage, so cube truck it is.

15' Cube truck is $85 for the day (with 100 miles included) + an extra 100 miles at .35 = $120 total split between me and a friend. More expensive than some other options, but the best overall deal I've found that satisfies our needs.

Still gonna stop by HF and get some wheel chocks. I think one of these bolted into the floor should work well for each bike.

oso2k

Reaction score
Visit site

Thanks oso and Cali, but it looks like I've got a decent deal on a Cube truck (with lift) from Galpin. Since I drive a MINI Cooper S and can't/won't put a hitch on it, I needed to rent a tow vehicle too. It got complicated trying rent both and I wanted something secure for thurs night storage, so cube truck it is.

15' Cube truck is $85 for the day (with 100 miles included) + an extra 100 miles at .35 = $120 total split between me and a friend. More expensive than some other options, but the best overall deal I've found that satisfies our needs.

Still gonna stop by HF and get some wheel chocks. I think one of these bolted into the floor should work well for each bike.

Killernoodle on that other fZ6 board reported that some track riders have damaged their rotors with some of the HarborFreight wheel chocks. I've used this one (Motorcycle Wheel Chock) with success on my 4'x8' AZ-Tex trailer in a triple mount setup (3 dirtbikes or 2 sport bikes).

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

So Pete, you're coming right!!! right!!?!??? :)

It's looking better. I need to firm up a couple more things and then plan a trip.

PowellB

Reaction score
Visit site

Killernoodle on that other fZ6 board reported that some track riders have damaged their rotors with some of the HarborFreight wheel chocks.

Thanks for the tip... I didn't want to spend all that money, but i'd hate to have jacked up front brakes.

oso2k

Reaction score
Visit site

I'm not gonna be able to make it. There's half a chance that could be my first day of work at my new job.

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site

This is memorial day!!!!!!!!!!! Someone should have mentioned that!

If spots are still open, I'm considering riding or driving down on Friday, doing some riding while I'm there, hitting the track, and heading back Monday night or Tuesday.

Thoughts on all that? Anyone from NorCal want to ride share?

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site

Dude, lots of spots still available!!!! Make it happen Nate!!!! mostro might make it too, and John will be there as well.

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site

Is there a way to determine how many mid-group spots are still available? Not doubting you, just never heard of that.

This is looking like a 90% sure thing at this point. Is anyone going to be down to ride that weeked or should I just head down Sunday night?

This place is pretty far away from where you live, right David?

Been over a year since I've been to the track!

oso2k

Reaction score
Visit site

Is there a way to determine how many mid-group spots are still available? Not doubting you, just never heard of that.

This is looking like a 90% sure thing at this point. Is anyone going to be down to ride that weeked or should I just head down Sunday night?

I'm 35 miles from the track and have two spare bedrooms, 6 couches, and plenty of floor space to lay down an air mattress. But, I'll be out of town and I won't be flying into SoCal until Sunday 24th and I should arrive home in the early afternoon. Wavex, Hellgate, DefyInertia, PowellB, Cali rider, nizmotech, rsw81, (anybody else) all you guys are welcome. I have 65" TV w/HD cable (DVR, Speed TV, some AMA, WSB, MotoGP races recorded), and a grill. There's a Walmart nearby where you guys can fill up your ice chests before heading out.

rsw81

Keep it Kosher
Reaction score
Visit site

I'm 35 miles from the track and have two spare bedrooms, 6 couches, and plenty of floor space to lay down an air mattress. But, I'll be out of town and I won't be flying into SoCal until Sunday 24th and I should arrive home in the early afternoon. Wavex, Hellgate, DefyInertia, PowellB, Cali rider, nizmotech, rsw81, (anybody else) all you guys are welcome. I have 65" TV w/HD cable (DVR, Speed TV, some AMA, WSB, MotoGP races recorded), and a grill. There's a Walmart nearby where you guys can fill up your ice chests before heading out.

Now this sounds like a good idea... head up the day before, BBQ, watch some racing on DVR, avoid waking up at 4am on Monday. If the other guys are in for this, I totally would be.

oso2k

Reaction score
Visit site

It's quite normal for the track organizers out here to reshuffle the groups around lunch time. They could put you in any group, and when they find you're faster or slower, they'll correct the lineups.

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site

Never heard of what? If you click on the link in my first post it'll tell you how many spots are still available... last time I checked there were like 30 spots left.
Yes, it's about 2hours North for us...

Awesome Louis! That's really nice of you! I'd be totally up for that as well... let me double check a couple of things first and confirm by this wkd... is that OK with you?

oso2k

Reaction score
Visit site

Never heard of what? If you click on the link in my first post it'll tell you how many spots are still available... last time I checked there were like 30 spots left.
Yes, it's about 2hours North for us...

Awesome Louis! That's really nice of you! I'd be totally up for that as well... let me double check a couple of things first and confirm by this wkd... is that OK with you?

That works. But, I'll be leaving town on Saturday and will probably be without cell or net access starting Sunday until next Saturday.

Defy, I'll actually be near the SFO area this coming Saturday evening and the next Saturday evening until I fly out of SFO back to SoCal.

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site

Now this sounds like a good idea... head up the day before, BBQ, watch some racing on DVR, avoid waking up at 4am on Monday. If the other guys are in for this, I totally would be.

As am I. :thumbup:

Eitherway, I plan on sleeping somewhere relatively close to the track. I'm not big on screwiing with my regular sleep schedule too much before a track day.

Never heard of being able to determine how many spots were still available in each group. I can see that 30 spots are available, which seems like a lot, but was not sure of the break down by group. that's all.

Defy, I'll actually be near the SFO area this coming Saturday evening and the next Saturday evening until I fly out of SFO back to SoCal.

Cool. What are you going to be in the area for? What's on the agenda?