My track day crash - broken collarbone

marke14

running on empty
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I am finally feeling a little bit better after my crash, broken collarbone (clavicle) and surgery.

I was at a track day event on Friday, June 17th at the big/main track at Willow Springs International Raceway in Rosamond, CA. I hadn't been out to a track day since November of 2009, having had scheduling conflicts that collaborated against me in 2010.

I had never been out with Motoyard, the track day org that put on the event, and I have to say I won't be going with them again.

The day started off relatively benignly enough - my friend Ray and I arrived early at the track, got our pit area set up, checked in and attended the rider's meeting. I was excited as I had recently had my track bike (a 2003 Ninja ZX-6R, the 636) refreshed, including having the shock rebuilt, and they had recently repaved all of the big track at Willow Springs.

I was in B group and our first session was canceled due to a crash in A group (who went out first) that took over 20 minutes to clean up, thereby eating up B group's first outing. Oh well, that's how it goes.

So an hour later, we finally get to go out on our inaugural run. In my typical fashion, I took it very easy for the first several laps, to allow for the tires and bike to warm up, and more importantly, for my brain and reflexes to come fully online in the track environment.

Going into Willow Spring's infamous Turn 8, a monster loooong right hand banked turn which turns into another, tighter right hander (Turn 9), which puts you on the front straight, past the hot pits and the start/finish line.

Here's a track map for those of you who may live outside of the SoCal area and who are not familiar with Willow Springs:

5927281470_5227bc79fb_z.jpg

Several riders passed me on the back straight, leading into Turn 8. I always strive to ride a predictable line, specifically to allow the faster guys to easily predict where they can safely overtake me.

Going into Turn 8, I kept it pretty tight to the inside edge of the track, drifting out to mid-track once the Toyota building came into my field of view, to set up for the entrance to 9. As far as I knew, I was all by myself in the turn; I didn't see nor hear any other bikes around me.

Suddenly, I was impacted from behind on my left (outside) side, and I was crashing. If I were to strictly explain how I experienced it, it would be like this:

1) Hanging off the bike slightly, preparing to enter Turn 9 to the right;

2) Suddenly hearing the "SMACK!" of two vehicles coming together, seeing a boot and the tail section of another bike, crashing hard on my left side, sliding very quickly off track.

I was probably going somewhere in the neighborhood of 80 mph when I went down.

Everything happened at once. The other rider did not go down, incredibly. The only thing I can surmise, is that this other guy went much, much faster through the back straight and into 8, and took a dramatically wider line through 8 and into 9, and he made an attempt to "cut off my nose" in terms of passing me with his chosen line.

The reason I can only guess what happened, is that no one else was in the area where I went down, AND - the very best part - no one came over after the ambulance brought me back to my pit area. *The other rider never even came by to see how I was or to apologize.* What a frigging douche.

The second-best part, and the reason I am never patronizing Motoryard's events again, is because prior to the ambulance coming over to tend to me, the Motoyard main guy (the guy who led the rider meeting, an older guy), came over to talk to my while I was still writing in agony in the dirt. Our exchange went something like this:

"Are you hurt? Do you need the ambulance?"

"Yes please send them over. Somebody hit me from behind!"

"Yeah it looks like you went pretty wide."

WTF? That is not only untrue but apropos of nothing. I could have taken the widest line in the world (which I didn't), and as long as I was on the track, it's up to the faster guy behind me NOT TO CRASH INTO ME because of his poor choices or lack of control over his machine.

I am a skilled rider and while I may not be the fastest guy on the track, or even the fastest to warm up, I was absolutely not at fault on this one. People who know me well know that I am not afraid to take responsibility for any mistakes I make.

Further, and to me this is simple customer service and frankly just being a kind person, no one from Motoyard ever called me or my emergency contact (granted, my friend I came with was still at the track packing up, but still they didn't even come talk to him). The last contact I had with anyone there was the owner implying to me that my line choice was the reason for the crash. A crash, by the way, which is going to end up costing me somewhere in the neighborhood of about $4,000 for medical alone (and possibly more if my insurance doesn't cover the exorbitant $2,300 ambulance ride to the ER), and SIX WEEKS off of work.

I don't have my bike still - it's at my friend's mom's garage - but I am told the damage is fairly extensive. Certainly the plastics are shredded and I have heard different accounts of how much damage it has sustained.

In the ER, I was told that the break was one of the worst the ER docs had seen, and he said it was "probable" that I would need surgery to repair (the vast majority of clavicle fractures do not require surgery; you just gimp around in a sling for 6-8 weeks).

Over the course of the following week I saw two orthopedists, both of whom confirmed the surgery diagnosis. I had surgery the following Wednesday, nearly two weeks ago now. The ortho at first attempted a less invasive procedure which uses a pin that goes through the bone, to hold everything together, but there was an additional bone fragment that needed stabilization, which would not hold together. So, they backed the pin out and instead used the more traditional plate and screws.

I will post an X-ray with the hardware after my next appointment. Here's the fracture (yes it hurt/hurts):

5926720977_6abfa98695_z.jpg

Here's the incision and bruising ... for the first week I couldn't sneeze, blow my nose, sit up or lay down, etc., without excruciating pain:

5926721549_0c32e1ac68_z.jpg

My gear held up well, all things considered.

Note the shredding of the collar - not exactly sure how that happened.

5927425168_548f4fe602_z.jpg

Closeup of back/shoulders:

5926866305_0aebba4392_z.jpg

Left shoulder took most of the impact:

5926866959_1048e851f1_z.jpg

My helmet took quite a whack - check out the damage on the top and the carbon fiber weaving on the back:

5927428138_d49d16c687_z.jpg

5927427502_4a8c3010d9_z.jpg

My healing is going slowly. I was able to get off of the prescription pain meds (Vicodin and Norco) within a week of the surgery, which was just as well - it isn't as "fun" to take that stuff as some people had suggested. ;)

I am in a sling for 4 weeks after the surgery. Thankfully I am getting paid while I am recovering, due to my tenure with my company (and our supplemental short term disability insurance).

I'll use this thread to post updates with pics of the bike and my plate/screws, once I get them. :)

spock

Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry to hear about your accident

fortunately it was not worse for you.

I wish you a good and fast recovery so you can be out there riding again :thumbup:

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site
Wow Mark that story sucks!! Sorry about all the crap you had to deal with... Not to defend motoyard or anything, but I am not sure you'd have gotten better support from any other track org... These guys don't care about your ass!

Hope you heal up quick! See you Friday for dinner?

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Heal up soon.
Did the guy who hit you speak to you after?
It's sometimes tricky when a witness gives their version of events.
If you ask two people who saw the same thing, you will get two different versions.
You sound like a responsible guy with a good attitude. Regardless of the line you took. Passing riders have to ensure that they do so safely.
Good luck with the recovery and thanks for sharing your story.

Nelly:thumbup:

marke14

running on empty
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the well-wishes. David you may be right indeed, but I would expect a little better from a professional organization. You need to take it seriously when a crashed rider tells you he was taken out.

EDIT: Yes to dinner on Friday - HH in BP correct? 7:00?

Last edited:

CHEMIKER

Running Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Mark, that really sucks to hear. Glad to hear that you're getting fixed up though. See you on Friday for dinner, wish you could ride with us this weekend.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Man that sucks. I hope you heal up quickly and fully.

Sent from my MB508 using Tapatalk

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
Glad you are at least able to tell us about all of this..... At least you are young enough to heal pretty quickly! Good insurance, and a good work place are pretty precious things, very happy to hear it's all working out pretty well for you.

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry to hear...could have been worse I suppose. What a douche who hit you! :spank:

Was this an advanced rider session? I was under the impression that passing mid-corner was frowned upon? From the looks of that course there is plenty of straights this D-bag could have passed you on rather than cutting in on you in a corner! It's not like he was distracted by other riders he just f*cked up big time. :Flip:

Speedy recovery! What kind of gloves/boots were you wearing?

Lefty

Quis, mihi fatigo?
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Glad you came out of it relatively o.k. all things considered. I think the dude who hit you must have known he was at fault by the way he avoided you afterwards. :Flip:
Look forward to seeing you at The Friday night dinner and buy you a drink. :thumbup:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Mark,
Heal up quick and I think you're on the right track getting rid of pain meds as soon as possible. They wanted to ramp me up in the OR last year with my 3 broken ribs but I declined. I told them if this was pretty much it I'd be okay and come back if I needed to.
I probably won't make it to dinner on Fri. night but will meet you another time. You're a trooper Bro! :rockon:

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Nasty stuff.....at track days in Oz, it is a general rule, that you only overtake on the straights....cause it is not a race situation, and overtaking on the limit, or close to it, in corners, is a lot more dangerous than overtaking on a straight...

cold comfort for you to hear that, i know, but it does illustrate that thee are "good" and "Bad" track day organizers out there...

Hope you heal quickly...

:thumbup:

marke14

running on empty
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Jerry, 5:00 thank you.

Fizzer6, my gloves are some old-ish Alpinestars GP Plus gloves. They held up totally well and with the exception of some scrapes here and there including notably on the plastic knuckle sliders, the look the same as they did previously - very well worn on the inside grip area, perfect otherwise.

My boots, I am pleased to report, are my new Dainese Torque Pro Outs which worked flawlessly. Except for some scratches in the formerly mint plastic parts and some definite dings around the ankle area, they are perfect.

It's this kind of boot:

5762642770_b95ecb90cf_o.jpg

McLovin

plain evil
Reaction score
Visit site
Man I'm sorry you had to go through all of this. It sounds like you were doing everything in your power to protect yourself and make it safe for other riders. And thats just a lot of bad luck running its course. But whats done is done, I am happy that this didnt happen to you in traffic. People with this mentality are everywhere and its extra bad that another biker wouldn't have the decency to at least apologize. It takes a mature person to apologize after being 100% at fault i guess.

Months roll by faster than you anticipate so you'll be back on your bike in no time. Focus on the positive and have a speedy recovery :thumbup:

Last edited:

PhotoAl

Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry to hear about your crash, heal quickly. At least you get to go, my wife has seen too many of my photos and refuses to let me on a track! Don't have any experience with bike track days but the car events I have been to were very structured as to when and how to pass for all groups except the most experienced. Corner workers are very good about watching the on track action and reporting improper actions and equipment.

You make a strong case for knowing how the track day or race school event is run. My biggest fear of a track day (not that I'm going to get to experience one) is being in a group with much faster riders.