SoCal Octoberfest ride Sunday Oct. 13th

Cali rider

Reaction score
Visit site
As I look closely at the business hours for the proposed meeting spot, I see that they do not open until 9:00AM on Sunday. :( So... I am changing it to a Starbucks that is nearby. Address:

5970 Orangethorpe Avenue
Buena Park, CA 90620

Orangethorpe & Centerpointe | Starbucks Coffee Company
Still meeting @ 8:00AM. Our route to Santa Monica will be slightly different. I hope that clears up any confusion.

marke14

running on empty
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
IN for sure! (New battery arrived - filled, charged & installed!)

See you guys tomorrow at Starbucks.

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
S
As I look closely at the business hours for the proposed meeting spot, I see that they do not open until 9:00AM on Sunday. :( So... I am changing it to a Starbucks that is nearby. Address:

5970 Orangethorpe Avenue
Buena Park, CA 90620

Orangethorpe & Centerpointe | Starbucks Coffee Company
Still meeting @ 8:00AM. Our route to Santa Monica will be slightly different. I hope that clears up any confusion.

Starbucks? Gulp (delicious and aromatic coffee!). I'm overnighting in nearby 90242 and take C&S. ---Stacy

Verharen

~ Wild Child ~
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Meet up! SD sunrise crew arrived first. And we have 4 fz6s today!!! Thinking of you Motogiro. :)

e6y2emam.jpg

marke14

running on empty
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Home. Exhausted. Beer.

Great ride everyone! Really glad that I was able to make it out again (finally).

We had an interesting detour on the final leg of the journey back - ACH was closed to clear a wreck - evidently a truck hit the side of the mountain? Or so a Forrest Service worker told Lefty at least. We opted to ride back up to AFH and out the "back" way to Sunland, instead of waiting for some indeterminate amount of time. As we turned around, we saw the Sheriff's Department Search & Rescue flying down to the accident site. I hope they were OK.

The SD crew is probably still riding home as I write this.

Here are a few (non-moving) pictures:

Checking out the map at the beginning;note the shadow :D

10259620364_f28fdfbe9b_z.jpg

What is Calirider about to pull out of his jacket here?

10259728876_5404500a25_z.jpg

Pit stop by Lake Elizabeth:
10259832393_f0aeb49580_z.jpg

Great ride! Thanks to the NorCal and SD crews for making the long journey down/up, and thanks to John and John for organizing and leading/sweeping.

Goop

Chips & Dip
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
We're still on the road..we're at the 15 / 76 freeway Mobil station :)

WP 8/Lumia 920 using Board Express

Goop

Chips & Dip
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks to John and Stacy for coming down from way up north! Also, thanks to John for taking us on those awesome roads. I really enjoyed them, as I'm sure everyone else did. It was cool to see Mulholland and the hundreds of bikes there. Like Stacy said, we road on lots of roads with the name "Canyon". All were great rides.

Jen, Spencer and I decided to take the adventurous route home with Jerry. We took ACH over to Wrightwood then dropped down to the 15. Lots of big rocks in the road and snow on the ground! Nice and cold.

I'm sure we rode a good 500 miles. I'm one sore fella today!

Edit: And John, you were right on with the bike running lean at high elevation. When we split up, I had a little over 100 miles on my trip odometer and I was anxious about making it to Wrightwood. My reserve light usually comes on at ~130 miles. I rode at steady RPMs through ACH and when we got to Wrightwood, I had over 140 miles and the reserve light was not even lit.

Last edited:

Verharen

~ Wild Child ~
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
My total mileage was 530 for the day. WooHoo!! Truly Hoonigan numbers in my opinion. :thumbup: I'll post some pics up tonight when I get a chance. When I got home last night all I wanted was a hot bath to ease my muscles and some warm food. That last 100 miles was COLD.

I LOVED the roads we rode. And I was so happy to hear that you all agree Betty sounds super sexy with her new exhaust! I couldn't ask for a better group of riders to be with on a perfect SoCal day. I love you guys. :blowkiss:

I'm back at work today. I get to hear 90 student speeches :eek: between now and 5:15. At least they are short ones.

sandctrev

Reaction score
Visit site
I fully agree with the Goop. Once we dipped away from the beach, I had no clue where I was until we passed Mountain High. Our lead and sweeper did great giving us the LA Tour.

I learned that In the future I must record football and go riding. Very few cars got in our way.

When we got up into the mountains the views are spectacular. I have to look into just how high we were. Oh.... Then Snow!!! That was cool for a second. Then it was just cool. I can't complain... It was kinda fun dodging rocks and piles of sand.

marke14

running on empty
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Wow, "big rocks" ... "piles of sand" ... "snow on the ground" - sounds exciting, especially when you are 300+ miles into a long day! :D Glad you guys made it through OK.

Can't wait to see the video and other highlights!

Lefty

Quis, mihi fatigo?
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
O.K. all, sorry I'm so late posting something on the ride but I just got home a couple of hours ago and after 3 days and 1200 miles of riding and not eating anything since breakfast, I needed a little time to decompress, eat, drink a couple of beers and drag myself to the computer.
First of all I want to thanks all of you who prticipated on the ride and made it such a success..
A special thanks to the SD Hoons, Jen, Bryan, and Spencer, for the extra effort of putting in such a long riding day to be with us. And to Jerry too, who may not live in San Diego but he's so far in the boondocks I'm not even sure where it is. You're a stud Jerry :rockon:
To Stacy who wins the long distance award for riding down (once again) from Sacremento and going out of his way to join Cali rider and myself this morning on a mini group ride back north for a ways.
Mark, it's always awesome to see and ride with my "partner in crime" after our bonding experience with Officer Peterson on the 1st annual NorCal/SoCal ride a few years ago.
And last but not least, to my friend John who sets aside a whole weekend to put me up and then always plans a safe, well coordinated, fantastically diverse ride route and makes sure everyone has a great ride together. And also for bringing his friend Rich who we all met for the first time and was such a nice guy.
To the entire group for being such nice people, safe riders, and truly a bunch of friends who I always look forward to riding down south see. Not only to go riding with but to spen time visit catching up on all the "what's been happening since I've seen you last" conversations we all have.

Thanks all for a fantastic weekend! :D

P.S. Thanks for the pics you guys posted, I'll look at my camera tomorrow and see if there's anything worth adding.

Last edited:

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
Glad everyone made it home safe and sound!

Thanks motojoe. Did make it home safe next day (Caliifer, Lefty and I) despite a cross-over blown turn (Mulholland Drive). How many might one get in a lifetime? I got lucky (no oncoming). It was a great tour/ride on Sunday (many thanks to Calirider and Lefty for the idea/planning) with spectacular scenery and an incredible pass-by of an establishment where there must have been at least 100 motorcycles side standed everywhere. The LA/San Diego area has got to be one of the world's great playgrounds for motorcyclists. Thanks Spencer (Sandctrev), Bryan (Goop), Rich (Mystery rider), John (Calidier), John (Lefty), Jen (Verharen), Mark (marke14), Jerry (Jblk9695)