Sat. 10-2 - SoCal Ride - Palomar, OJH, HVR...

Goop

Chips & Dip
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Time: Saturday, October 2 · 9:30am - 1:30pm ?

Time to do some Canyon Carving!! :Sport:

** Meet at Shell gas station off Mira Mesa Blvd/Interstate 15 by 9:30AM **

Mira Mesa Shell Station

Route: Highland Valley Road (HVR) thru Ramona to Old Julian Highway (OJH) to Santa Ysabel to gas up then to Palomar, maybe Banner Grade before if we are feeling adventurous.

This ride is being put together by David who rides a Ducati 848 Dark and has gone out with the SoCal FZ6 group in rides past.

Lefty

Quis, mihi fatigo?
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Oh man, I wish I was in. I'll be in Anaheim this weekend but without a bike. :(
You guys have a safe and fun ride, I'll miss you.

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site
I have family visiting from Europe, so it'll be tough, but I sure will try!

John, what r u doing in Anaheim this wkd? work?

Lefty

Quis, mihi fatigo?
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have family visiting from Europe, so it'll be tough, but I sure will try!

John, what r u doing in Anaheim this wkd? work?

The missus is taking me to Dizzyland. I've never seen the halloween change-over which she's seen with our daughter. It's our only vacation this year. :(

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Keep an eye on the forecast because as of tonight the ten day on the weather channel says 30% chance of T storms on Saturday.:confused:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
It doesn't look good for us I checked Julian and Pally and both have intermittent T-storms and still 30% rain. Borrego Spring looks good (temps near 100) but we have to get over the mountains or take 8 east to maybe S2 to get there. We could play on Zuma but to get there and back is a big round about way. I don't think we'd avoid the rain coming through the higher elevations.
For now I'm bowing out unless the Wx man says different...:(

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site
Ha! Who cares if it rains a bit!! :)

I can ride tomorrow morning but gotta be home by 1pm.... Probably too short to meet you guys :( i may still be there at 9:30 though... Cliff i'll txt u :)

Goop

Chips & Dip
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Ha! Who cares if it rains a bit!! :)

I can ride tomorrow morning but gotta be home by 1pm.... Probably too short to meet you guys :( i may still be there at 9:30 though... Cliff i'll txt u :)

Hey guys!

I just got a call from "Ducati" David and he wanted to move it to 10:30 AM to 2:00 PM because one his buddies who's bringing a bike in by trailer can't make it until then. I wasn't sure if anyone on the forum was going to make it...but if anyone wants to meet up before then I can be at the meeting point at 9:30.

Goop

Chips & Dip
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
We dodged the rain today, but there were some impressive thunderheads in the sky!

I have a story though. No motorcycle-related crash injuries, but I had to bail on the ride after Palomar...we were almost finished anyway, except for lunch and a sprint back down the mountain.

Bear with me, I just had a morphine shot a few hours ago.

Two days ago I took my Alpinestars A-10 textile/leather pants in to be professionally cleaned. They were smelling bad and they call for dry cleaning only. So thinking I would take care of these $250 pants so they last, I should keep them clean. I pulled out the armor and took them in. Got them back last night and got them ready for today's ride. They looked fine and like new again.

We go for the ride, and out in Santa Ysabel I notice that the back of my thighs are hot. Odd, but it was warm and I figured it was heat from the engine. We continue on and make a run up to Palomar. I get to the top after a couple of runs, and now my legs are itching and tingling. I decide to head home because I was not comfortable and wanted to change out of the riding gear (the pants are not overpants so I only had underwear on underneath). By the time I got halfway home my thighs and ass are burning badly and in pain. I figure this has to do with the cleaning solvents used in the dry cleaners. I make it home and get the pants off and to my horror I have large red burns. I jump in the shower and rinse and clean the burned areas but the pain is intense.

My wife took me to urgent care at the hospital and I have chemical burns from the solvents. There is some padding that was permanently stitched in the thigh area of the pants that absorbed the solvent and whatever else is in there. After riding and sweating, the chemicals leached out and came into contact with my skin. It was a delayed effect. By the time I was on my way home and out in the middle of nowhere it burned the **** out of me. I had a tetanus shot, and anti-inflammatory shot, and a morphine shot for pain.

I'm going to have a chat with the cleaners about this, needless to say. The pants are done, I won't wear them. Thing is they didn't have any solvent odor when I put them on. So the pressure of me sitting on the padding plus the sweat released the chemicals.

I attached a pic of part of the burn on my left thigh...you can see the outline of the padding. Sorry my thigh ain't so sexy. ;)

Anyway, the riding I did get to do was great and the new Nolan N90 helmet is awesome!

Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
That is so bizarre! Sorry but they need to take responsibility for this. Those are serious chemical burns. No wonder they gave you morphine! You should make sure this doesn't happen to other people.
Lisa doesn't like anything dry cleaned because of the chemicals.
Get better my brother!

westgoingzax

I ride a motorcycle
Reaction score
Visit site
BryanDH, that stinks you got chemical burns from your gear. Hope you heal quick! You guys got some cool pictures from Rick!

Lefty

Quis, mihi fatigo?
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Bryan, I'm glad you're feeling better today. That really sucked about the chemicals in the cleaning solution and I'm glad that it didn't get worse than it did. Get well soon. :thumbup: