My UK Fz6 N Supercharged/nitrous Streetfighter.

rusty1

Reaction score
Visit site
It just im not very good with computers. I can build a streetfighter but cant put photos on haha

You sure can build a streetfighter. Hats off for commitment and originality on this one. :rockon:

You mentioned the stock engine coping with 140 bhp - on stock internals - from your experience how would you tune it to that point in addition to the obvious ECU/exhaust/airfilter?

Head work/cams/throttle bodies?

bmccrary

Touring Mod
Reaction score
Visit site
What size shot do you have it set up on? Only 40hp off the bottle? Seems kinda low... I mean 40 hp on a bike is alot, but I would think if you were going to spray it, it would be worth more than that.

Also, are you running a stand alone engine management? Motec, Megasquirt? Also, did you need to change out the fuel pump? I wouldnt think the batch fire injector set up would work that well, and the stock fuel pump proabably wouldnt supply enough fuel when at full boost and spray.

You said that you have a "high lift cam" Would you mind sharing the details as to which cams you put in and the lift and durations? Also, where in the heck do you find cams for the FZ?

I would like to see some more pics on the Supercharger set up. Not alot of room up there for that, esp with the the oil cooler right there. Did you have to extend the headers to get any extra room?

Also with the inverted forks? What issues did you run into with that? Are you still running the FZ6 front wheel? Also, do you have any measurements or solid models of the tripple clamps? Interesting to see if any of the geometry changed with that addition because I have a feeling the R6 inverts are not the same length as the conventionals.

Interesting bike.

-bryan

Last edited:

bmccrary

Touring Mod
Reaction score
Visit site
Ok so the more I look at this bike, the more question's I have.

How did you attach the pully shaft to the crank itself? Also, did you have to remake that cover in order to house a bearing to support the shaft?

-bryan

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Also, where's the nitrous bottle? is it on the left hand side of the bike? If so, How is it mounted? and would love to see a photo of it. D:thumbup:

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey Fighter, you've had the whole Forum on pins and needles for a week now. Any chance of some more photos and details. We all are dying to know. :don'tknow:

fz6fighterboy

Reaction score
Visit site
What size shot do you have it set up on? Only 40hp off the bottle? Seems kinda low... I mean 40 hp on a bike is alot, but I would think if you were going to spray it, it would be worth more than that.

Also, are you running a stand alone engine management? Motec, Megasquirt? Also, did you need to change out the fuel pump? I wouldnt think the batch fire injector set up would work that well, and the stock fuel pump proabably wouldnt supply enough fuel when at full boost and spray.

You said that you have a \"high lift cam\" Would you mind sharing the details as to which cams you put in and the lift and durations? Also, where in the heck do you find cams for the FZ?

I would like to see some more pics on the Supercharger set up. Not alot of room up there for that, esp with the the oil cooler right there. Did you have to extend the headers to get any extra room?

Also with the inverted forks? What issues did you run into with that? Are you still running the FZ6 front wheel? Also, do you have any measurements or solid models of the tripple clamps? Interesting to see if any of the geometry changed with that addition because I have a feeling the R6 inverts are not the same length as the conventionals.

Interesting bike.

-bryan

hi mate the headers are standard. as for the forks. they are 1/2 inch shorter than orig so turns in slightly quicker and is still running the fz6 wheel. 06 r6 wheels are the same running gear. you just have to get an r6 spindle as they are clamped and not screwed in like the fz6. the discs are r6 as they are 15mm bigger diameter. you can use r6 cams as the 03-05 r6 engine is the same as the fz6. hope this helps. mail me for more questions. cheers Joe

fz6fighterboy

Reaction score
Visit site
Ok so the more I look at this bike, the more question's I have.

How did you attach the pully shaft to the crank itself? Also, did you have to remake that cover in order to house a bearing to support the shaft?

-bryan

shaft goes straight onto the and of crank and is bolted down the middle. machine ign cover to accept pulley then put an oil seal in there. no bearing. doesnt need it as theres not alot of pain.

fz6fighterboy

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey Fighter, you've had the whole Forum on pins and needles for a week now. Any chance of some more photos and details. We all are dying to know. :don'tknow:

sorting them soon pal. just gotta sort bike out for the Nec show in birmingham as im in the streetfighters section. Keep ya posted pal.

fz6fighterboy

Reaction score
Visit site
You sure can build a streetfighter. Hats off for commitment and originality on this one. :rockon:

You mentioned the stock engine coping with 140 bhp - on stock internals - from your experience how would you tune it to that point in addition to the obvious ECU/exhaust/airfilter?

Head work/cams/throttle bodies?

Just a ythicker head gasket to lower compression from 12.2-1 to 10.2-1. Thats all you need to do as well as a custom map on a power commander usb.Can run standard pipes but air filter goes on end of blower on the left of the bike. Pics to follow. Keep you informed.

Hope this helps

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
hi mate the headers are standard. as for the forks. they are 1/2 inch shorter than orig so turns in slightly quicker and is still running the fz6 wheel. 06 r6 wheels are the same running gear. you just have to get an r6 spindle as they are clamped and not screwed in like the fz6. the discs are r6 as they are 15mm bigger diameter. you can use r6 cams as the 03-05 r6 engine is the same as the fz6. hope this helps. mail me for more questions. cheers Joe

you sure they are r6 calipers,look like r1 calipers to me,the gold discs lead me to think this.Yamaha only uses blue discs on r6 calipers and they are not interchangeable.

bmccrary

Touring Mod
Reaction score
Visit site
Thats all you need to do as well as a custom map on a power commander usb.

Care to elaborate on this? That must have been a wicked set up as the powercommander only adjusts fuel? How did you managed to adjust spark advance and such?

There are a few tuner's on here that would love to see that map if you dont mind.

Also, with regards to the pully shaft, what material is it made from?

-bryan

Last edited:

fz6fighterboy

Reaction score
Visit site
you sure they are r6 calipers,look like r1 calipers to me,the gold discs lead me to think this.Yamaha only uses blue discs on r6 calipers and they are not interchangeable.

Defo r6 mate bought a whole r6 front end with the original lines still attached. Trust me there r6 hehe. Done my research first plus my mates got a brand new one too so was easy for measurements. The disks are Galfer not OEM but are r6 size.

fz6fighterboy

Reaction score
Visit site
Care to elaborate on this? That must have been a wicked set up as the powercommander only adjusts fuel? How did you managed to adjust spark advance and such?

There are a few tuner's on here that would love to see that map if you dont mind.

Also, with regards to the pully shaft, what material is it made from?

-bryan

Thats all it needed (fuel map). No spark or timing changes needed. Just some suzuki gsx1400 injectors as the originals were maxxed out. The pulley shaft is mild steel.

bmccrary

Touring Mod
Reaction score
Visit site
Ok, so I have been studying these pictures over and over and reading these threads time and time again. I must admit it truly is a neat bike and there has been a lot of time, money and engineering put into this bike. Here is my problem; I am not so sure it is yours. However if the bike is indeed yours, the details that you have given have led me to believe you have wasted much of the time and money, and forgot about engineering completely and built a bike that is destined to fail, soon.

Here is why I have come to this conclusion:

First off, the way you started the thread is a bit odd. You showed three pictures of the bike, all from the same direction and the only thing you said about it was, “Hi there, what do you think?”
Something that has taken this much time and effort, in my opinion would get a heck of a picture whoring and many details listed.

Second, I am not sure if it was a typo or not but you said you put a high lift cam in it with no details on exact lift or duration. Last I checked the bike had two cams. Then when details were asked about it, you responded back saying it was simply and R6 cam. That is far from high lift…

Third, Fourth, Fifth and so on….

I began multiple questions about the bike and looking for some specific details regarding the design and tooling that went into the project. You answers were far from descriptive or accurate.

The forks are neat, it is awesome to see inverts on the FZ. However there had to be a lot of modeling and machining that went into making the custom triple clamps. You mentioned nothing about what machine the clamps were made on, the material used, setting the correct spacing for the forks. Those clamps are probably the only clamps in the world for a FZ6 to fit inverted forks and you provided no details what so ever for them?

The supercharger: Wow! That is truly amazing to see. However, there are no pictures or details about it what so ever. No description of how much boost you’re a making with it, no details on how the fitment is, other than the stock header was used. You didn’t even mention anything about the air box. How did you get the intake to it? How does that get around the battery? No mention of the work that must have taken.

To get the supercharger turning there was a shafted added to the crank and a cover was fabricated to replace the stock one. Cool deal. I asked you about how that was done, and you responded that the shaft was just bolted on! So now I want to know, what measures were taken to ensure that the shaft was straight? Also, what did you remove from the end of the crank to make room for a bolt of the required size to fit? I mentioned a bearing that would be needed to support the shaft as it is rotating. You responded that there was no need for that, only an oil seal. Your reasoning was that there wasn’t any stress on that member! No, No, No, No! The amounts of stress on that shaft are tremendously high! That shaft is connected to the heaviest part or rotating mass within the engine, it is then connected by a ribbed belt to another spinning object that is the parallel to the crank. That shaft is constant going through a compression load on the front side to the tension on the back side. The shaft is being bent forward as load as being applied. Now start rotating the bike at 10,000 RPMs and you have created cyclic loading, which is the cause of 90% of part failures. Trust me man, I have sat through multiple lectures and been tested on the material countless times. Ask any of the multiple engineers on this thread, this is basic stuff.

The reason I know a good deal about this supercharger stuff, is that the FSAE team here at UNCC last year tried to supercharge a KTM 610 that was specifically built for us. A special ignition cover was machined with a large bearing was added to house the shaft. Many long nights and countless hours went into calculating all stresses and strains placed on the system. The details you gave wouldn’t even come close to getting a part in the Makino.

Oh and here is the best part…

shaft goes straight onto the and of crank and is bolted down the middle. machine ign cover to accept pulley then put an oil seal in there. no bearing. doesnt need it as theres not alot of pain.

The ignition cover is on the left side of the bike. You know, that side you didn’t get any pictures of.

Now onto the engine management set up. You said that a basic power commander set up and some injectors from a GSXR 1400 was all that was needed. Last I checked the largest GSXR in production was the 1300. Also, there is no way in heck that our budget bike ECU can handle the type of running conditions that a supercharger and N20 creates. You responded back saying that no ignition changes needed to be made. How is that? You are forcing that much air into the system, not to mention the N20 and your saying the amount of spark and timing for a 90hp motor is enough? I don’t think so. That bike would require some serious adjustments to be made in order to get the full benefits of the systems added. I’m sorry but the FZ’s ECU just cannot handle that much of a change.

Over all there are just so many one of a kind features on this bike, many that most of the members on here would love to see made for their personal use. All you did was post three pictures of one side of the bike and say hi, what do you think. No more pictures posted in the past week, no graphs were supplied. Only lack answers that could be found by a simple google search.

If you could give us the contact information of the actual owner of the bike, I know that not only myself but many of the other members on this site would love to talk to him/her.

-bryan

fz6fighterboy

Reaction score
Visit site
Ok, so I have been studying these pictures over and over and reading these threads time and time again. I must admit it truly is a neat bike and there has been a lot of time, money and engineering put into this bike. Here is my problem; I am not so sure it is yours. However if the bike is indeed yours, the details that you have given have led me to believe you have wasted much of the time and money, and forgot about engineering completely and built a bike that is destined to fail, soon.

Here is why I have come to this conclusion:

First off, the way you started the thread is a bit odd. You showed three pictures of the bike, all from the same direction and the only thing you said about it was, “Hi there, what do you think?”
Something that has taken this much time and effort, in my opinion would get a heck of a picture whoring and many details listed.

Second, I am not sure if it was a typo or not but you said you put a high lift cam in it with no details on exact lift or duration. Last I checked the bike had two cams. Then when details were asked about it, you responded back saying it was simply and R6 cam. That is far from high lift…

Third, Fourth, Fifth and so on….

I began multiple questions about the bike and looking for some specific details regarding the design and tooling that went into the project. You answers were far from descriptive or accurate.

The forks are neat, it is awesome to see inverts on the FZ. However there had to be a lot of modeling and machining that went into making the custom triple clamps. You mentioned nothing about what machine the clamps were made on, the material used, setting the correct spacing for the forks. Those clamps are probably the only clamps in the world for a FZ6 to fit inverted forks and you provided no details what so ever for them?

The supercharger: Wow! That is truly amazing to see. However, there are no pictures or details about it what so ever. No description of how much boost you’re a making with it, no details on how the fitment is, other than the stock header was used. You didn’t even mention anything about the air box. How did you get the intake to it? How does that get around the battery? No mention of the work that must have taken.

To get the supercharger turning there was a shafted added to the crank and a cover was fabricated to replace the stock one. Cool deal. I asked you about how that was done, and you responded that the shaft was just bolted on! So now I want to know, what measures were taken to ensure that the shaft was straight? Also, what did you remove from the end of the crank to make room for a bolt of the required size to fit? I mentioned a bearing that would be needed to support the shaft as it is rotating. You responded that there was no need for that, only an oil seal. Your reasoning was that there wasn’t any stress on that member! No, No, No, No! The amounts of stress on that shaft are tremendously high! That shaft is connected to the heaviest part or rotating mass within the engine, it is then connected by a ribbed belt to another spinning object that is the parallel to the crank. That shaft is constant going through a compression load on the front side to the tension on the back side. The shaft is being bent forward as load as being applied. Now start rotating the bike at 10,000 RPMs and you have created cyclic loading, which is the cause of 90% of part failures. Trust me man, I have sat through multiple lectures and been tested on the material countless times. Ask any of the multiple engineers on this thread, this is basic stuff.

The reason I know a good deal about this supercharger stuff, is that the FSAE team here at UNCC last year tried to supercharge a KTM 610 that was specifically built for us. A special ignition cover was machined with a large bearing was added to house the shaft. Many long nights and countless hours went into calculating all stresses and strains placed on the system. The details you gave wouldn’t even come close to getting a part in the Makino.

Oh and here is the best part…

The ignition cover is on the left side of the bike. You know, that side you didn’t get any pictures of.

Now onto the engine management set up. You said that a basic power commander set up and some injectors from a GSXR 1400 was all that was needed. Last I checked the largest GSXR in production was the 1300. Also, there is no way in heck that our budget bike ECU can handle the type of running conditions that a supercharger and N20 creates. You responded back saying that no ignition changes needed to be made. How is that? You are forcing that much air into the system, not to mention the N20 and your saying the amount of spark and timing for a 90hp motor is enough? I don’t think so. That bike would require some serious adjustments to be made in order to get the full benefits of the systems added. I’m sorry but the FZ’s ECU just cannot handle that much of a change.

Over all there are just so many one of a kind features on this bike, many that most of the members on here would love to see made for their personal use. All you did was post three pictures of one side of the bike and say hi, what do you think. No more pictures posted in the past week, no graphs were supplied. Only lack answers that could be found by a simple google search.

If you could give us the contact information of the actual owner of the bike, I know that not only myself but many of the other members on this site would love to talk to him/her.

-bryan

Hi mate if you read the countless threads you will have read pics to follow. the bike is mine i built the thing. not it all tho. sdome was custom built by british firms. When i manage to put the pics on ill do a full writeup and descriptions of the project. I call the ignition cover the right hand side as thats where the crank sensor is to trigger the spark. You have already run a thread on here before about my bike when some one said they liked the slogan "made by japs modded by me" I had that on the radiator cover of my bike. these are the pics before the paint job from a cover shoot in Bike magazine. Did i say gsxr 1300 check the post i said gsx 1400 for the injectors pal. YYes it was a typo regarding high lift cam. thats how brits talk. sorry i meant camshafts. Dont know duration etc of the cam as TTS performance silverstone fitted it. All that was needed was a power commander for fueling as ive said before no timing changes needed. As for the uSD forks the material is billet aluminium and was built specifically for the r6 forks the fork spacing is 210mm just like mt01, mt03, fz6, fazer, xt660, bulldog. The bottom yoke is r6 just deseamed and polished with a stem swap from r6 to fz6. as the sizes are considerably different. When i get the other pics up ill do a proof of life to prove its mine.

Last edited:

Fred

M em b er e d
Reaction score
www.robietech.com
I want to see if I can mediate this thread before it erupts into a full on flamewar.

I also had wondered about the provenance of this bike. I don't know why, except that I was doubtful enough to to a google search for supercharged FZ6's. I didn't find anyone else claiming to own the bike.

I was surprised that the owner can build a supercharged bike yet can't operate a digital camera to post additional pictures.

I was also wondering about the lack of technical detail. If I'd built that, I'd be telling people what every single pipe, fitting and widget did and how I made it.

(In fact I do do that. Shamless plug for my blog!)
The things what I made and how I made them.

This all makes a lot more sense now. Fz6fighterboy outsourced the production of a lot of the parts. Depending on the level of outsourcing this can be anywhere from "bore a hole in this timing cover and install an oil seal into it. Weld up this plenum. Make this supercharger mount based on these designs I have provided. And you at the custom paint shop. Paint the bodywork like this." all the way up to,"Here's my bike and my credit card number. Get to work."

I'm not sure what amount of it was outsourced. I'm guessing the supercharger was provided in kit form and installed by fz6fighterboy.

The point of this is that if major components were manufactured by somebody else, fz6fighterboy wouldn't be able to provide the level of details we'd like to hear, as he's not the one who designed them.

There's no shame in that. Not everyone has the time, skills or inclination to acquire the skills necessary to build something like this from the ground up.

In conclusion, I suspect that it is his bike, but some of the facts he posted about it were incorrect due to him not being the one who did the actual tuning of the engine.

Let's NOT have a flamewar, folks.

Frederic