Lidl Motorcycle Gear

Senior

My brother is Junior
Reaction score
Visit site
Now, don't all scoff . . . . :eek:

I've just spotted that Lidl are going to have their Motorcyle Gear in next Thursday 11th Mar, and thought I'd let you all know.

At least they're not doing helmets this year, so there'll not be the long flaming :eyebrow: of them selling helmets of unknown quality, but the rest of the kit is actually worth a look.

Last year I bought an oversuit (fits well and doesn't leak), gloves (hard knuckle protectors kevlar and triple stitched) and back protector (EN1601-2 the higher protection level) and have had no problems with any of it. :thumbup: I'll be buying another oversuit for me and one for the misses, and as much as I prefer not to ride with a rucksac I'll be having a look at them as well for the odd times that I do use a rucksac.
UK_43697_01_b_20100222130407.jpg
UK_43205_01_b_20100222130407.jpg
UK_43698_01_b_20100222130407.jpg

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well I've had a Lidl tankbag for several years now and I'm very happy with it.

A couple of years ago one of the Dutch motorbike magazines did some tests on the Lidl motorbike stuff and they were impressed with the quality, safety and (of course ) price.

My wife has a Lidl helmet but she's hardly ever used it (this has nothing to do with the product I hasten to add).

P

Perfj

Just for your information.
Lidl Denmark also have these items on sale next week.
:danish:

Puz

Reaction score
Visit site
I think it's all to German standards which are usually to a better standard than the Brit equivalent.
Just something I heard so I apologise if that's duff info.

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The Lidl are selling their stuff here as well LIDL

I think it's all to German standards which are usually to a better standard than the Brit equivalent.
Just something I heard so I apologise if that's duff info.

I always thought that German safety standards are better than the British ones as well.

grommit

...M
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The Lidl are selling their stuff here as well LIDL

I always thought that German safety standards are better than the British ones as well.

I don't think the standards are any different, I think they are better at applying them. :D

Now a BMW M5 would look good on the drive.:thumbup:

Scorphonic

No Man is an Ireland.
Reaction score
Visit site
Irish Lidl had this sale on today...a few things similar in price to the UK but the thermals were so much more expensive in the republic compared to the north of ireland which is reflected in the UK Lidl page.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well I went mad and got the lot. Not from Lidl though. I didn't really like the items they had. I found these in Lid l's rival Aldi. I purchased:
2 X thermal tops
1 X jacket & Pants
1 X Boots
1 X Gloves
1 X inner gloves
1 X neck tube

186 Euro for the lot. If it is waterproof I will consider this money well spent.

I haven't brought any gear in ages and things are very expensive in he south (as scorph has alluded to). I compared the textile to my Hein Gericke gear.
The textile is lighter and the weave is not as tight. There is a definite difference on wearing them. The Hein Gericke gear is much more tailored and conforms to the body better it also feels heavier. The CE gear is fully removable and fits well. Both jacket and pants are fully lined with a zip in option. I like the visibility of the Aldi jacket (a very important consideration for motorcyclists over here).
ALDI - Sunday Special Buys 21st March 2010

The thermal sweater is excellent, it has a waterproof neck and shoulders but remains very light and comfortable to wear.

The gloves have Kevlar weaved into the textile and double stitching on the seams. The palms are leather and they feature the excellent "HIPORA" waterproof lining.

The inner gloves are brilliant and breathable. They will add some well needed warmth in the back end of this year.

The boots are leather with a water resistant and breathable lining. They Secure onto the foot and leg via an inner zip and Velcro outer. Very comfortable and quite supple with good support. Certainly not the worst boots I have ever worn and not as industrial to wear as my Hein Gericke Bulson boots. They are kind of halfway between a touring and sports boot. There is an option to have removable toe guards.

It's going to rain tomorrow. I will report back with the comfort and all important water resistant qualities.

Nelly

Last edited:

Doorag

Reaction score
www.4dbrown.com
Nice one Nelly. My mother-in-law got me some 'motorcycle socks' from ALDI last year and I wasn't sure about them at the time. Once I finally wore them though they were great. I wear them all the time now and keep waiting for them to go on sale again.

Both ALDI and LIDL have some good stuff if you aren't worried about 'being brand'. The food is pretty good too.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well this week I have managed to ride in hail stones, misty swirling rain and a good old fashioned down pour.

I am very happy to report that the Aldi gear was more than capable and stood up to the rigor of a 20 mile commute with out leakage.
Now that I have worn the gear for a week I can make a better appraisal.

Where my Hein Gericke gear utilizes a stud popper to close a pocket and the breast zip cover The budget jacket uses Velcro and only one stud at the top and bottom of the zip. Obviously the Velcro will need to be replaced after a while. The trousers have a strange outer leg zip design. The rain cover for the zip actually faces into th direction of travel. Potentially water could come in here. This is my only criticism.

The thermal gear is superb, very light and comfortable with excellent wicking. I have purchased to more tops. The inner gloves are also the best that I have used.
I don't know if the jacket and trousers will be warm enough in the winter? Despite having a fully removable lining both jacket and trousers have a light feel to them. The upside is that you don't get clammy and sweaty whilst wearing it.

I would definitely recommend this clothing to anyone, especially riders on a budget.

Nelly

von_trippenhopf

Reaction score
Visit site
They are doing DIY stuff now and they've got quite alot of cheap & cheerful tools too. OK, they're not exactly 'Snap-on' standard, but they're useable.
They've also got work gloves that are almost as good as Mechanics gloves at half the price. May save some bashed pinkies!
Car accessories from Thursday so cheap bungies & ratchet straps and cleaning stuff. Always worth a look.

Last edited: