Bit by the motorcycle bug... Advice for a new rider!

champion221elite

Reaction score
Visit site
I wouldn't get too bent out of shape over having a carbed motorcycle.

Carbs are pretty simple to operate and maintain properly. If you're buying a used bike, just follow the previous owners instructions on what works for them to get the motor started and keep it running.

Cold starts usually require full choke to get it running. After 15-20 seconds of running, you can back it down to half choke and listen to the motor. If it's acting funny, try increasing or decreasing the choke to keep the motor running like it should.

After about 30 seconds, you should be able to turn the choke completely off and the motor should run on it's own.

*My previous statement applies if the carb(s) are properly tuned and the bike is in good running condition.*

BTW, a GS500, Ninja EX500 or similar bike is a good place to start for a beginning rider. Also, don't over look the 250 CC class of dual sport bikes. You can have A LOT of fun on one of those things!

deeptekkie

Reaction score
Visit site
What everyone else here has already said.
You WILL get good advice on this board.
While the FZ6 may not be the perfect beginner's bike, it is a great steed and it is the most comfortable bike I have ever ridden, bar none! It can/will grow with your abilities. Be careful and good luck!

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
I wouldn't get too bent out of shape over having a carbed motorcycle.

Carbs are pretty simple to operate and maintain properly. If you're buying a used bike, just follow the previous owners instructions on what works for them to get the motor started and keep it running.

Cold starts usually require full choke to get it running. After 15-20 seconds of running, you can back it down to half choke and listen to the motor. If it's acting funny, try increasing or decreasing the choke to keep the motor running like it should.

After about 30 seconds, you should be able to turn the choke completely off and the motor should run on it's own.

*My previous statement applies if the carb(s) are properly tuned and the bike is in good running condition.*

BTW, a GS500, Ninja EX500 or similar bike is a good place to start for a beginning rider. Also, don't over look the 250 CC class of dual sport bikes. You can have A LOT of fun on one of those things!

This will only happen on a GS 500, with the caps drilled..... otherwise it can take 15 minutes or more on a cold day to get the engine hot enough to run without some choke applied. I kid you not.

FrankieOC82

Reaction score
Visit site
I am a fairly new owner of an FZ6, but I started out on a ninja 500 and I think that was one of the best decisions I made. Learning on that bike was great because it was so forgiving, yet with 500cc instead of 250, you could still have a blast and not redline your top gear at 65 mph - it's faster and more powerful than many people think it is. If you plan on hitting the highway (once you get VERY VERY comfortable riding), a 500 cc won't hold you back. Check out these stats for the Ninja 500R from Motorcyclist Magazine:

Standing start 1/4 mile: 12.98 s @ 99.0 mph
Top speed: 135 mph @ redline in 6th gear
Average fuel consumption: 48.5 mpg
Average touring range: 233 miles (375 km)

I put these stats up not to condone speeding like a maniac especially as a new rider, NOT AT ALL MY INTENTION, but more to emphasize the idea that a 500 cc bike is a GREAT place to start AND can still keep you grinning from ear to ear as your skill level progresses until you are ready to step up. They are very capable bikes and you won't outgrow it within a month or two, if you are worried about that. The fact that they are that much easier to control, are more predictable yet can still keep you thoroughly entertained later on is why I chose a 500 cc to start on. Plus, it was awesome squeezing 200+ miles per tankful of gas out of it!

Either choice you make, these guys have given great advice on here and I hope you have a great time learning. Ride SAFE!

dean owens

Hippopotomonstrosesquiped
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.ccf-unc.org
...Learning on that bike was great because it was so forgiving, yet with 500cc instead of 250, you could still have a blast and not redline your top gear at 65 mph - it's faster and more powerful than many people think it is. ...

sorry. just have to jump in here. this sentence reads as though if you got a ninja 250 you'd only be able to go 65 and you'd be redlining it. i just did a quick google and ended up on a kawi forum. top speed most of them were showing was 100-110. factor in speedo error and you're looking at what... 90mph? that's a far cry from redlining at 65mph.

your other points about starting on a 500 are good points.

to the OP. i wouldn't buy any bike until i had taken the BRC. you'll learn a lot about what you do and don't like there. as usual i think you've gotten some great advice. keep us updated.

FrankieOC82

Reaction score
Visit site
sorry. just have to jump in here. this sentence reads as though if you got a ninja 250 you'd only be able to go 65 and you'd be redlining it. i just did a quick google and ended up on a kawi forum. top speed most of them were showing was 100-110. factor in speedo error and you're looking at what... 90mph? that's a far cry from redlining at 65mph.

your other points about starting on a 500 are good points.

You're absolutely right! I was referring to a post the OP made earlier about being worried that they would be "limited to 65 mph in the right lane" on a beginner bike, so I was just relating to that comment and not so much about the actual capability of the 250R. Thanks for pointing that out though; reading it over I can see how it may have sounded like that. I actually have a friend that kept his 250 for about 3 years because he liked it a lot more than he thought he would! Both 250 and 500 are great places to start, and I was just trying to advocate that. Sorry for the confusion :thumbup:

Also, you make a good point about taking the class first. It made me feel soo much more comfortable and they have a few different styles of bikes you can try out. Great job OP on doing it right!

Iethius

Who?
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome: I rode dirt since age 7, Bought an 05 FZ6 of the Showroom as first street bike ever at age 32, ( it was the underseat exhaust that got me at first). Taught myself to ride on it, didn't have anyone to ride with but I was ready to carve the roads so I did. Never had a tach on my dirt bikes so I used my ears when riding the FZ6 and in hindsight I bet I never got over 6-8k rpm for the first couple years. After several thousand miles and research on the bike, I thanked my lucky stars for my purchase, de-tuned? redline at 14-15k? The list goes on....It was like getting a new bike without buying it. And sorry carb guys, I have worked on many a carb and the fuel injected FZ6 is heavenly. I also putt around on a 82 Kaw 440 beltdrive for fun and the choke is a joke, the FZ6 warms up while putting on gear, no choke. I picked the FZ6 because it felt right and I trust my instincts. Probably never sell it.

So I am of two minds about it as a first bike, YES if you have an eye on the future and want to make one purchase rather than two.

Definitely NO if you have lack of self control or peer pressure is an issue.The FZ6 will keep up with your buddies no problem, but it can kick your butt real quick.

Control is the issue not hp, you can ride a Hyabusa if you can hold it up, I see rookies on them all the time, the question is do you have the ability to control it. You sound like you want to enjoy the ride and not just be a poser on a shiny two wheeler, the people on this site are all about the soul of riding and will point you there. That in mind I recommend getting what is comfortable to you physically, mentally, and financially.

And @ approx 98hp on the FZ6 and 72-78hp on the FZ6R, the FZ6R is more of a trainer bike than the FZ6.

Oh, and if nobody told you yet, if you clean your chain with the bike running and chop off ANY part of your fingers you are out of the COOL KIDS club.(sorry nine finger Tommy) Anyway, best of luck and hope you actually read this, unlike me I usually skip the long winded ones.......

philosopheriam

aka: Mr. Awesome
Reaction score
Visit site
Here's my problem with carbs:

As I mentioned earlier, I'm a shade-tree mechanic and taking apart/maintaining carbs isn't a problem. However, I think back to the day when I owned a small Kawasaki ATV - even after ajusting the idle mixture properly, that ffing thing was nothing but a pain in the ass to start when it was cold (even on full choke). In cooler weather, it would need to warm up for at least 15min before you could drive and stop without it dying (or constantly maniuplating the choke).

We have better, more efficent ways of feeding fuel to engines these days - it's called fuel injection.

Also, no matter how well a bike is maintained, carbs will eventually need to be disassembled, cleaned, rebuilt, and tuned. Nature of the beast...

pointbreak

Reaction score
Visit site
I got my bike licence 2 years ago. I had never ridden a bike before. It's one of the best things I've done and regret not having had a motorbike sooner.
I bought a new FZ6 Fazer 08 which now has about 20K miles on it. I have toured on it and currently commute 350 miles a week on it. It has performed brilliantly in every area. I know I don't have experience of other bikes but I think this is a great first bike which will allow you to grow with it if you use it sensibly.

Major contributers to my riding experience:
1. Ear plugs (will also prevent you going deaf)
2. Twist of the Wrist II DVD (exluding the cheesy bits)
3. Neck scarf.
4. Track day experience.
5. Life saver (final check over shoulder before manoevering)
6. Arai Pinlock system - never mists up in the cold and wet.

Always wear protective clothing and ride within your limits.

philosopheriam

Reaction score
Visit site
Good stuff - I will keep that in mind!

I've just been skimming through it, but "The Complete Idiot's Guide to Motorcycles" just hit my door, and it looks like it's packed with a bunch of useful information.

On a different note, I've noticed that some people have experienced head bearing failures on the FZ6 - are there any other common menchanical problems with these bikes?

Aside from different frame colors and ECU tunes, are the 04's through 09's pretty much the same?

Thanks!

champion221elite

Reaction score
Visit site
are there any other common menchanical problems with these bikes?

Aside from different frame colors and ECU tunes, are the 04's through 09's pretty much the same?

Thanks!

For the earlier models, there is a known condition with the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS). A failed or failing TPS sensor can cause low speed stalling and snatchy partial throttle riding.

There is a known recall for this part, and most earlier models have been updated already. A simple check of the VIN number with your local dealer will confirm if this update has been completed.

Regarding your second question about 04's through 09's being the same, the bikes were significantly updated for the 2007 model.

The most obvious upgrade was the switch to a separate analog tachometer instead of the integrated digital tach/ speedo. The swing arm was updated for a smoother, flowing look instead of a chunk of square aluminum. The front brakes were also updated to 4 piston calipers instead of 2 piston units. (I'm not sure which year this happened).

Otherwise, the 04's through 09's are basically the same. They use the same cast aluminum frame, fuel injection and 600 cc I4 engine.

There may be other subtle differences, but those are the ones that come to mind.

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
As a fairly new rider (about 1000 miles including learner permit activity) I can vouch for the FZ6 as a nice first ride. I checked out the 'zuki gsx650f, the ninja 500 and the SV650. I almost went with the sv650 but there was something special about the FZ6 I did not mind paying a little more for it. The ninja 500 by the way is a capable first bike, I just felt no excitement when I test rode it.

So, yeah, as others have very adeptly said.. be careful, take the safety course with you eyes wide open and be aware of your surroundings.

I find the FZ6 will be as docile as a house cat at low rpms when you want it to be but turns into a screaming fast machine when you boost rpm's past 7,000. And you don't get to 7,000+ rpm by accident. So if you think you are mature enough to ride within your limits and get to know the bike and your abilities I think the FZ6 is a good choice. If you have trepidation about having that potential power available at the flick of your right wrist, then perhaps consider a smaller cc bike.

Good luck and be sure and check back in to the forum with any more questions you will have

Regards,
FB

von_trippenhopf

Reaction score
Visit site
On a different note, I've noticed that some people have experienced head bearing failures on the FZ6 - are there any other common menchanical problems with these bikes?
Thanks!

I've only had mine since September '09 but I've done a fair amount of reading up on the Fz and some of the usual topics are:
Headstock bearings (I replaced mine with taper rollers & they're much better)
Clunky Gear change (they all do it).
Hard seat (get off & massage your butt every hour or so, or buy a Gel seat)
Front Brakes can seize up (brake pads stick, but I found it was an easy job to free them).

I'm sure there are other niggles, but I've heard nothing serious.
Like FB400 says, it is fairly docile at low revs but takes off like a scalded cat when you hit the higher revs.:D

Capo79

Viking spirit
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome:

I can't see why quite a few states that the FZ6 isn't a good beginners' bike?

First of all, the FZ6 is being used as a school bike at every other driving school around here. Normally, that wouldn't be such a heavy hitting argument, but the fact is that the mandatory driver's training (and especially motorcycle training) is one of the best you can aquire in the world(!). This is due to strict regulations and focus on safety, which basically exceeds any other countries' minimum requirements. We're talking minimum 20 hours training, first on a closed circuit then on the open road, a mandatory classroom training course, track driving, theroretical exam and finally a two hours practical excam with an officer from the DMV sitting behind you. It will take the average candidate roughly half a year to aquire the license if everything goes well.

My bike is my first bike, and I find it to be very easy in most aspects of motorcycle driving, both in heavy traffic and on the open road. I use it for commuting and leisure (of course!). It's very forgiving, and it won't bite you too hard if you do it wrong. Lane splitting is a piece of cake with this bike:thumbup:

Jez

Reaction score
Visit site
It's just got a lot of power for a learner bike I suppose. In the UK we have pretty high motorcycle training standards as well, and most schools seem to use either the Kawasaki ER5 or the Honda CB500. Good basic workhorses to learn on but a bit staid compared to the Fazer.

philosopheriam

Reaction score
Visit site
Update:

I went to a place called Chicago Cycle - they are a Honda/Yamaha/Suzuki/Kawisaki dealer with a ton of bikes on the floor. I sat on a bunch of models, including the GS500F and the FZ6.

I fell in love with the looks and the comfort of the FZ6. My mind is now made up, FZ6 it is... :rockon: They had an all black 2009 on the floor that just looked darn sexy!

On the lighter side of things, what's the dilly with people who post bikes on Craigslist for 1K over the bluebook - I mean, I understand CL is full of lowballers, but seriously, who's dumb enough to buy a bike without checking KBB or the NADA?

PS: If you're in Illinois and are looking to sell a clean FZ6 for a reasonable price, let me know :)

PhotoAl

Reaction score
Visit site
Not trying to change your opinion about a the FZ6 but wanted to add my experience with the Ninja 250. I started with a 2007 Ninja 250 which my wife gave me for Christmas - fantastic bike. I spent the first few months riding on neighborhood roads and then on to the Interstates. It would run all day at a real 80MPH and was fast enough to go with the flow of traffic. It was light and had OK acceleration. Best of all it was FUN - I could ride home through the neighborhood and have a great time going up and down thru the gears and never get over 40 or 45. The same trip on the FZ6 is 1st and 2nd gear - can't wind it up in first even cause the speed limit is 30MPH and it only gets ya in trouble fast. Loved the little Ninja. Got my FZ about a year ago and it is a fantastic bike. Great on the Interstate and faster highways, always ready to go, no choke, etc.

As others have said, get good gear and wear it all the time. I do a lot of motorcycle race photography and have seen many folks part company with their bikes. I took a photo sequence of Jamie Hacking in the AMA race at Barber's last year (the Great Save) and the dust off his leathers is visible in the photo when his shoulder was on the asphalt. I have to look at the photos from time to time to just wonder how did he do it! Personally I like the Shark helmets - light and have good safety ratings. There is an article out there about helmet ratings and the old Snell ratings caused the helmets to be "stiffer" than necessary which cause the g forces to be higher. The Shark RSI I have is DOT and European rated and is light. Most important get one that fits - first one I bought was too loose and I would up buying a size smaller. I told my teenage daughter that it was because the it had a chip in the paint - she had a predictable reaction which was why I told her that. For boots I have Joe Rocket Sonic's which have been very good. They are waterproof and comfortable enough to walk around in. They are wearing out and I am going to buy a pair of Komodo Pro boots. Last March I rode from 150 miles at night in the rain at 42 degrees. The boots did very well - I got kinda cold but stayed dry. I had FrogTogs on top of my Jacket and pants.

Last advice - practice - remember others don't see you - practice - others don't see you and more practice. When I first started I made lots of mistakes but was going slow enough that they weren't costly. I had someone move over on me and I locked up the front brake - I let off the brake and saved it but it happened REAL fast - on a city street and maybe 25 or 30! At a 4 way stop sign when making a turn I wound up 3 or 4 feet from where I intended and was fortunate not to be over the center line or off the pavement - only happened a couple of times, just another reason to start slow. Best experience was when I thought I could reach down and pick the newspaper up off the driveway without getting off the bike. I would up getting off the bike but not the way I intended!

vdbergj1

Manna
Reaction score
Visit site
First WELCOME to the BEST forum ever! These people knows what they talk about - not me I have not ride for years, still rookie.

Just had to add my experience.

I had a Suzuki Quad ATV LTZ 400 for 2 years and then it got stolen. I saw that I can handle not being a hooligan in the gang - allot of the others were with some consequences. That will only getting more dangerous with allot of cagers around you on the roads.

I decided to get a bike and it would enable me to ride much more than the every second weekend with the quad. I got a FZ6, bias Yamaha and the under-tail exhaust sold it to me. It was not a 1litre bike which everybody buys here without enough/any experience. I had not do any investigation on bike forums and got to FZ6-Forum only a while after purchase. It worked great for me as first bike, BUT...

I'm 40 with a controlled right hand and ride to do it again tomorrow. I almost never went over 8000rmp - where the devil comes out. You can get quickly in trouble with it which you not even try to do.

The important thing I want to make is that I think I would have been learning much faster on a smaller bike. I was on a level between respect and scared for a long time and I think that hinder my learning curve.

Kriswithak

Reaction score
Visit site
Here in Aus we are much more limited in learning on a motorcycle and the FZ6 isn't learner legal, its power to weight ratio is just too high.
That being said its not impossible to learn on, just the more power you have the more trouble you can get into faster.
I learnt for over a year on a FZX250 which was a carbi bike, and in every way was much easier to ride than the FZ6. The smaller bikes are thrown around more easily, carbies are generally more forgiving on the throttle and a bit more native than fuel injection which is very jerky.
They are also of course slower.
Even if you could borrow one for a few weeks to start riding you would probably benefit greatly on starting on something less powerful than the FZ6.
If you started on one you can't quantify just how much easier a 250 or similar is to start on, and beleive me its a huge distance because once you start up the 250 feels like its pedal powered! The choke warmup thing isn't entirely true it should take no more than 5 minutes on really cold days to start up if its properly set up and tuned. Sometimes it can be a bit of a pain in the backside, but I wouldn't say fuel injection is better than carbs in any way except the quicker warmup time and auto choke.