Bit by the motorcycle bug... Advice for a new rider!

philosopheriam

aka: Mr. Awesome
Reaction score
Visit site
Dear FZ6 Enthusiasts,

Well, it happened - I got bit by the motorcycle bug and I can't stop thinking about buying one! :rockon: All of my buddies own bikes, and they always tell me how much fun they have in the summer - going to events, riding in groups, etc. In addition, the guy to whom I rent my 2nd bedroom owns a GSXR1000, and he's encouraging me to go riding, too. Needless to say, I don't want to sit on the sidelines this year (talk about peer pressure)!

For a multitude of reasons - looks, features, size, riding position, etc, I've decided on an FZ6 for my first bike. A used 05 or 06 is on my target list...

Long story short, I've never been on a motorcyle in my life. So, with this in mind, I decided to begin the process by being as responsible as possible:

1. I bought the book "The Complete Idiot's Guide To Motorcycles" - I intend to read it cover to cover.
2. I signed up for the Illinois State beginning rider training course - 3 days of safety and operational instruction, and it prepares one to walk into the DMV to obtain a motorcycle license.
3. I'm taking to as many riders as I can about advice, tips, etc.

I'm a self-taught mechanic, so maintenance and upkeep is no problem for me. I'm just curious to see what advice you guys might have and any things to "look out" for when I'm evaluating a used bike.

Also, when it comes to personal protective gear, who makes good helmets, etc. I intend to buy a helmet, a jacket, gloves, and a set of boots. I'll buy the helmet new, but I figured I might be able to get the other stuff from Craigslist, etc...

Thanks for your time and I appreciate the help!

bcramer

Wise Newb
Reaction score
Visit site
My advice is to read this sticky

Since you've never been on a bike before, I cannot even begin to express how much better of an experience you will have on a beginner bike.

I just can't recommend an inline 4 to anyone as their first bike.

Buying a new helmet is a must, used gear off Craiglist should be okay as long as it's in like new condition and you do a little research ahead of time. Also, do not forget about pants! Your legs are just as important as the rest of your body and your jeans will be torn to bits if you hit the asphalt.

Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome:philosopheriam!!

You will certainly enjoy your experience riding as well as the interaction with this fine forum. It also sounds like you have some riding connection locally at home and there should be some good experience gained riding with friends.
I'm sure you'll probably hook up with other FZ6 forum members in your area.
Ride your own ride. Don't ride someone else's ride! Practice braking so that if that time comes and you have to do an emergency brake you will be familiar with the bike's characteristics under harder braking. Sounds like your on the right track with the safety course.
Have fun!

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
Reminder to---when on a motorcycle---be super vigilant about watching for gravel, oil, water, anti-freeze, sand, dirt, paper, debris, moisture, anything that looks potentially dangerous....especially when cornering or braking. And of course, DON'T TAILGATE! (sorry, if I sound like I'm lecturing) have fun!

dean owens

Hippopotomonstrosesquiped
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.ccf-unc.org
few things...

1 - welcome. you've picked a great place to ask questions and hangout.

2 - i'm one of those guys that doesn't think the fz6 is a good beginners bike so i'd never suggest it as one. having said that, there are some that disagree with me and i'm not sure i'd change your mind anyway. so i'll say please take it slow, use your brain and stay safe.

3 - the steps you're taking are GREAT. sounds about where i started. i got anything i could read (think i got motorcycles for dummies - a really great read) and took the basic riders course. that was money well spent. all of these lead me to hope you will be a smart, safe, longtime rider.

4 - my one "dad" moment... i know the pear pressure stuff is said a bit in jest... but being that it sounds like your friends who are riders have sport bikes you might be tempted to ride much above what your skills can handle. especially with the fz6. it is a great machine and can quickly become a monster and hard to handle for someone with little experience. please be wise. it's better to be around to be laughed at then the alternative.

5 - the basic rider course will qualify you to ride in a parking lot. after you get your license continue to practice. 4 years and i still practice about one a month on different things... braking, figure 8's, etc.

6 - helmet... as long as it fits properly it's good. here is a great read on picking a helmet.
Total Motorcycle Community Fourm • View topic - Helmet Fit Guidelines...
other stuff, yeah get it used. and check out newenough.com for some bargains.

7 - and last. i know i said i wouldn't change your mind... but in this economy bikes are pretty easy to come by. it wouldn't be a bad idea to get say a ninja 500 for a year or two to learn on and then move up. as long as you keep it up you usually get what you spent on a "beginner" bike. plus, if you drop your beginner bike it doesn't hurt as bad as dropping the nice bike you really wanted.

all of that said, welcome and good luck.

philosopheriam

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks guys!

As I mentioned, I want to be as safe as possible about this - hence the instruction course. They'll be starting us on 250's..

I'm not completely dismissing the idea of a 250, but I want a bike that I can take out on the highway. Great starter bikes, totally. However, from most of the people to whom I've spoken, the consensus is that they are dogs on the highway. I'm not lookin to go 100mph in the left hand lane, however, I don't want to be that guy who's limited to 65mph and stuck on the right. Perhaps this is a trivial concern for a beginner, but anyhoo...

My buddy and I are going to Chicago Cycle this weekend so I can sit on a bunch of bikes and see how they feel - he has emphasized that first and foremost, a good beginner bike must fit well, and second, it's power must be reasonable (not crazy).

I've looked at a GS500F, as well, but I really don't want a carbed bike...

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
Look up the writings of David Hough..... riding is about 90% mental; and he started writing the book long before the MSF got itself together. His books are compilations of articles he's written for motorcycle magazines over the years, and it's all still quite applicable. Easy to read, too.

Congrats on doing the schooling before you do anything else. People fixate on whatever they learn first -- it's much much much better to learn to do it right the first time, rather than have to unlearn 'bad' habits.

Counter steering sounds counter intuitive..... but it's a cornerstone of riding effectively.

There's lots of sources of material for how to ride fast.... the biggest trick is to learn how to ride within your limits, and then expand your pace, as your skills increase. The #1 HUGE thing to do (as has already been mentioned) is to RIDE YOUR OWN RIDE.

And wear your gear. :)

philosopheriam

Reaction score
Visit site
And by the way, I have enough humility and common sense to be swayed by a convincing argument - if a GS500F fits me well and I can steal one for under $2500 cash, I might do it...

Actually, my buddies have been very responsible with their suggetions and advice: too much power = very bad for a beginner. And they have threatened to kick my ass if I ever get on a bike without gear :)

I want to have fun, not die...

Last edited:

nextfriday

Reaction score
Visit site
all i can say about choosing a beginners bike is to RIDE everything you can if possible. You'll learn very quickly what kind of throttle and style bike you can handle and want to handle. An SS bike should scare the crap out of you at this time. Most of all, you want to feel mentally comfortable on the bike. You want learn to handle everything that bike throws at you and not be leary that you own a bike that will get away from you if you screw up.

kpaul

The Great Destroyer
Reaction score
www.xbox.com
Thanks guys!

As I mentioned, I want to be as safe as possible about this - hence the instruction course. They'll be starting us on 250's..

I'm not completely dismissing the idea of a 250, but I want a bike that I can take out on the highway. Great starter bikes, totally. However, from most of the people to whom I've spoken, the consensus is that they are dogs on the highway. I'm not lookin to go 100mph in the left hand lane, however, I don't want to be that guy who's limited to 65mph and stuck on the right. Perhaps this is a trivial concern for a beginner, but anyhoo...

My buddy and I are going to Chicago Cycle this weekend so I can sit on a bunch of bikes and see how they feel - he has emphasized that first and foremost, a good beginner bike must fit well, and second, it's power must be reasonable (not crazy).

I've looked at a GS500F, as well, but I really don't want a carbed bike...

I rode the GS500F for a year before the FZ6. It is a good beginners bike but the carb is a pain for sure. The power curve is very predictable and it's extremely flickable and forgiving. Great for learning the basics of ... well everything.

I honestly don't think I'd have had a huge problem learning on the FZ6 instead, it's not quite as forgiving or predictable but it's still pretty comfortable and easy to ride. The learning curve would just be steeper. The major difference to me is that the bike has so much more potential (power, torque, grip) and if you push yourself to reach that potential before you're ready, you'll kill yourself.

That would be stupid though, and if you're going to be stupid, you'll kill yourself equally dead on a 500 or a 250. And it's not like any casual rider ever unlocks their full potential on a 125, 250 or 500 before moving up to 600/liter bikes. Starting small just provides an even learning curve for you.

I would absolutely recommend you start on a 250 or 500 but if you have your heart set on the 600, of all the 600s it's probably going to be your best bet. Just don't be stupid!

philosopheriam

Reaction score
Visit site
Well, I just went on Craigslist and there are a bunch of people selling GS500F's for reasonable prices...

I'm now seriously considering this option - there's always a can of ether for the carbs :)

I'm looking at it like this - I can get a GS500f for $2500 and gear for $500, putting my total investment at $3000. I can't do that with an FZ6... Considering I want to ride, not kill myself, and not spend gobs of money, seems like the decision is becoming more clear!

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Dear FZ6 Enthusiasts,

Well, it happened - I got bit by the motorcycle bug and I can't stop thinking about buying one! :rockon: All of my buddies own bikes, and they always tell me how much fun they have in the summer - going to events, riding in groups, etc. In addition, the guy to whom I rent my 2nd bedroom owns a GSXR1000, and he's encouraging me to go riding, too. Needless to say, I don't want to sit on the sidelines this year (talk about peer pressure)!

For a multitude of reasons - looks, features, size, riding position, etc, I've decided on an FZ6 for my first bike. A used 05 or 06 is on my target list...

Long story short, I've never been on a motorcyle in my life. So, with this in mind, I decided to begin the process by being as responsible as possible:

1. I bought the book "The Complete Idiot's Guide To Motorcycles" - I intend to read it cover to cover.
2. I signed up for the Illinois State beginning rider training course - 3 days of safety and operational instruction, and it prepares one to walk into the DMV to obtain a motorcycle license.
3. I'm taking to as many riders as I can about advice, tips, etc.

I'm a self-taught mechanic, so maintenance and upkeep is no problem for me. I'm just curious to see what advice you guys might have and any things to "look out" for when I'm evaluating a used bike.

Also, when it comes to personal protective gear, who makes good helmets, etc. I intend to buy a helmet, a jacket, gloves, and a set of boots. I'll buy the helmet new, but I figured I might be able to get the other stuff from Craigslist, etc...

Thanks for your time and I appreciate the help!
Welcome to the forum,

Very good advice so far, the only thing I can add is start kicking yourself in the ar5e now (when you realise you should have got a bike years ago lol). On a more serious note ride your own ride. Good luck.

Nelly

Hutchmaster34

Sparkie
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well i'm gonna have to be the guy that says the FZ6 is an ok bike for a beginner. I mean the FZ in the lower RPM's is fairly forgiving IMO. I took my course and test on a Buell Blast "thumper" and I would never recommend that bike, Because the clutch was a pain in the a$$ I constantly found myself concentrating more on feathering the clutch than being aware of my surroundings. Where as the FZ's clutch is smooth and hell with the inline 4 you can bog that beast down and still not stale it. I know I'm gonna get hell for saying it but the FZ6 was my first bike and I couldn't imagine being more happy with my decision.

Gilo-FZ6

Riding the Big Honda
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
you know what im gonna go against the grain here and say the FZ6 is a fantastic bike to learn on.simple reasons.. its light, manoverable (sp) and very forgiving/predictable below 8k RPM.

You sound level headed and plan on doing everything the right way :thumbup:..theres no reason why the FZ6 would be unsuitable for you

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
Well, I just went on Craigslist and there are a bunch of people selling GS500F's for reasonable prices...

I'm now seriously considering this option - there's always a can of ether for the carbs :)

I'm looking at it like this - I can get a GS500f for $2500 and gear for $500, putting my total investment at $3000. I can't do that with an FZ6... Considering I want to ride, not kill myself, and not spend gobs of money, seems like the decision is becoming more clear!

GS500s have been around for a long, long time. They are in fact one of the best choices you can make in the US for a first bike. :thumbup:

The F model is not as ideal compared to the earlier E..... simply because it's got the fairing. Gravity will win, sooner or later....

The carbs? They are adjustable. The idle circuit is set on the very lean end, to meet EPA requirements. One of the first jobs should be to drill out the brass caps covering the adjusters, and setting them as rich as they were meant to be.

The greatest advantage of the GS over the FZ (for a beginner) has to do with it taking a few seconds longer to get to truly heinous speeds. That gives you more time to think "should I really be doing this?" before it bites you.:spank:

I would think below 5,000 RPM they would have fairly similar power characteristics, and the FZ simply keeps making more power long after the GS mill 'signs off'. There's no big sudden avalanche of power..... it just keeps building and building. 'Sneaky fast'.

The GS will get better mileage, and is cheaper to operate. What you learn on that bike will apply to whatever you buy after that. It will still get through a 1/4 mile faster than 80-90% of the cars on the road, and is no slouch stop light to stop light. Like most budget street bikes, the suspension is set up for lighter riders, and the brakes could use better material in the pads.... easily fixed when you want to expand your envelope.

philosopheriam

Reaction score
Visit site
Ha, I found an 04 GS500F with 900mi on it - with cash in hand, I think I could steal it fr $2500...

I'm almost tempteted to get my buddy to drive it home for me - thats a hell of a steal...

Ugh, I can't handle the excitement :)

von_trippenhopf

Reaction score
Visit site
Ha, I found an 04 GS500F with 900mi on it - with cash in hand, I think I could steal it fr $2500...
I'm almost tempteted to get my buddy to drive it home for me - thats a hell of a steal...

All good advise so far, I think your idea of a GS500 first with a new Helmet & second hand riding gear is excellent! We've all had a slow speed tumble or even tipped ourselves over at a standstill, and you wouldn't want to do that on a new bike & shiny leathers would you? Get out there, get some experience and buy something fancy (like an FZ, of course!!) when you've got the basics covered. Good luck, you'll love it! :thumbup:

mstewar1

hot diggity
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'll chime in for the 500cc bike, too. You *could* start on an FZ6 but I think it'd be a mistake. As has been mentioned, you can ride a nice, simple 500 all summer long and get your learn on, not having to worry about the power biting you. Then you could tidy the bike up over the winter and sell it to the next new rider in the spring.

Welcome to the forum. Even if you end up on a 500 (for now) you should still hang out...

philosopheriam

Reaction score
Visit site
Honestly, it's the price range that's swaying me quite a bit to the GS500F - with cash in hand, I doubt I'll be able to grab a clean FZ6 for under $3500.

However, with respect to the Craigslist bike, I'm going to hold off until I read the book, take the class, and have my license. I wanna be able to ride the bike, check the clutch/gearbox, etc before I buy it. Also, I'd like to go to Chicago Cycle to sit on some bikes, do some admiring, etc...

After I have been riding for a year and perhaps taken the intermediate/advanced riding courses, I might step up to an FZ6R (I friggin love the styling). Or maybe wait a bit longer and get my dream bike of an Aprilia :D