Bit by the motorcycle bug... Advice for a new rider!

philosopheriam

aka: Mr. Awesome
Reaction score
Visit site
I agree with you, Vegasrider....

If you go through the MSF and bike control isn't your thing, I could see how the FZ6 could get out of hand quickly...

Wh0M3

Reaction score
Visit site
I can see how some might say that the FZ6 wouldn't be a good starter bike. It was my first bike and I really fell in love with it. I did take a riders course and it improved my confidence and skills. I'm always looking to learn new things and want to take the more advanced courses too.

When I first got my FZ6 I had a hard time with the clutch control, it stalled out to many times before I left the dealership. It was my fault for buying the bike first then going to the course. If I had never taken the course I am sure my opinion of the FZ6 would be different, it was too much bike and I didn't know how to handle it.

Popeye70

Reaction score
Visit site
2 MONTHS LATER...

I cannot even begin to describe how happy I am that I DID NOT buy a GS500F or a Ninja 250. I absolutely love my FZ6... I definitely know that I would have gotten bored fast on either of those bikes. I ride on a lot of highways to visit friends and relatives, and the fizzer is just a wonderful highway machine!

It's fast, has excellent street manners, it's comfortable to ride, and it looks good, too!

However, I admit that if a rider has zero experience and has not taken the MSF (or a similar beginner course), I could see how the FZ6 might be a little too much bike.

Just my .02

Congratulations! I just discovered this thread...

I did as you - bought an FZ6 as my first bike (in Sep 2009), and just love it. As you, I considered the other 500-600cc bikes like GS500F, GSF600 Bandit and the Honda CBF500/600 in addition to the FZ6. Haven't han any regrets at all with the FZ6.

The engine characteristics make it almost like two different bikes - below 6000 rpms for commuting in city traffic and above 7-8000 rpms for the open road. The FZ6 is forgiving, flexible, versatile and just a great ride. :rockon:

Once again - congrats!