Idiot sent me into the ditch!!!

K Rig

Reaction score
Visit site
Riding home from college and some retard pulls out over two lanes and cuts me off. So i swerve to avoid their rear bumper and curb it. Fell off and the frame got some serious gouges. :banghead:
:banghead:
Didn't get a license plate...

A lot of the plastic is all messed up, and the right side of the aluminum frame component has a few really nasty gouges in it. I doubt i have funds for a new one. Does anyone know any tricks to hide the scratches on it? or fill it in?

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
wow. what an *******. did anyone stop to lend you a hand at least?

inconsiderate bastard. 50 bucks says he saw you in his rear view but didnt want to stop and deal with the aftermath. jesus.

K Rig

Reaction score
Visit site
wow. what an *******. did anyone stop to lend you a hand at least?

inconsiderate bastard. 50 bucks says he saw you in his rear view but didnt want to stop and deal with the aftermath. jesus.

not really, i sat there on the side of the road for about 20 minutes waiting for the local PD to show up. Had a few people just honk at me because it was such an inconvenience to have to change into the empty, uncongested left lane to avoid my bike. I'm sooooooooo sorry f***ers...

Does anyone know any tricks for polishing off an aluminum frame though?

K Rig

Reaction score
Visit site
Glad to hear YOU are OK.
What color is your bike?

Its the dark purple/blue color that yamaha made.
I've already got to replace most of the front fairing. The right side is all messed up. And the right side cover is screwed. Same with the oil pump cover. But i can't replace the frame, so i'm looking for tips and tricks to dress it up a bit. The scratches aren't terribly deep.

Iethius

Who?
Reaction score
Visit site
That sucks! Glad you are in one piece.

Motorcycle Paint :: Touch Up, Aerosol & Refinish Paint - ColorRite

These guys have matching paint for the frame. Actually the whole bike.

Depending on how deep and the place of the scratches I would sand them out, or even hand grind with a small air tool. Then paint over it. Replace plastic or go naked. My 2 cents, good luck. Posting pics would help........

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Glad you're okay.

Tough call in those situations. Swerve to avoid the collision, but if you crash without having any contact with that vehicle, it's on you.

Sometimes you're just better off hitting the damn jerk. It's a split second decision you have to make.

tweak89

Reaction score
Visit site
After my accident I had a small gouge in my frame. I filled the gouge with spot putty, sanded and shaped it. I found a matching silver paint at my local O'Reilly auto parts (I still have it and can give you the name if you need it).

When I was done you couldn't tell it had ever been down.

Check out Ron Ayers for your plastics, e-bay is also a good source. I had to replace the entire front cowl, headlights, screen and 1 mirror. Yeah, it cost some $$, but a lot less than a new bike.

If your bike is mechanically sound, fix it!

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
Riding home from college and some retard pulls out over two lanes and cuts me off. So i swerve to avoid their rear bumper and curb it. Fell off and the frame got some serious gouges. :banghead:
Didn't get a license plate...

A lot of the plastic is all messed up, and the right side of the aluminum frame component has a few really nasty gouges in it. I doubt i have funds for a new one. Does anyone know any tricks to hide the scratches on it? or fill it in?

K Rig.....

I don't mean for that to sound as harsh as I am sure you're probably going to take it, so I will apologize right now. I have to ask.

If this car cut across two lanes to pinch you out into the curb..... why didn't you see that coming sooner? I am of course happy that you have come through this with minor injury to your self..... It would of course have been better to not have any damage at all.

If you had started slowing down, as soon as the driver started across the first lane, and had used your brakes as soon as it was clear this bozo wasn't going to yield......... But we have to be looking for them to cut us off, to take those sorts of pre-emptive moves......

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
K Rig.....

I don't mean for that to sound as harsh as I am sure you're probably going to take it, so I will apologize right now. I have to ask.

If this car cut across two lanes to pinch you out into the curb..... why didn't you see that coming sooner? I am of course happy that you have come through this with minor injury to your self..... It would of course have been better to not have any damage at all.

If you had started slowing down, as soon as the driver started across the first lane, and had used your brakes as soon as it was clear this bozo wasn't going to yield......... But we have to be looking for them to cut us off, to take those sorts of pre-emptive moves......

Same thoughts and I agree and should have expected something like this could happen and with two lanes as a buffer zone, we start to wonder what could have we done differetly? Horn? Was it target fixation?

When it comes to swerving, it requires to very quick countersteers, one to avoid the hazard and another to regain your intended path of travel. Concentrating solely on avoiding the obstacle could have prohibited from correctly looking ahead for a clear out.

However, we were not there and don't know all the variables such as speed, distance, etc.

But I will give credit, a lot of riders have a natural tendancy to apply emergency braking rather than swerving when an object suddenly appears in front of them and the reality is that they do not have enough stopping distance to stop thus making swerving the only option. Glad to see your decision making consisted of both.

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
Power out of the scenario, or slow, or swerve..... any combination thereof.... without being there, it's impossible to judge.

Keeping the space bubble around the bike, and being aware of how many different directions danger can approach from..... head on a swivel, eyes constantly searching and evaluating.........

K Rig

Reaction score
Visit site
K Rig.....

Yes I agree with you on looking out for possible collisions, the circumstances weren't quite so permitting however. I was probably traveling at 45 mph and was right on top of him when he pulled out. There was maybe a 15 foot difference from my front wheel and his rear bumper. To give a better description of the scenario: I'm moving 45 & he's accelerating still (maybe doing 20 mph ish). I squeezed the front brakes for a quick moment and swerved to his right side (the lane further from the oncoming traffic lanes). I missed him by about (I hope it wasn't any closer than this) ten feet. At this point I'm still fine, however right after the swerve the road enters a left bank and I'm too close to the right curb entering the turn. I've heard people say that you cannot brake hard and turn at the same time, and i was so close to the curb i was now riding in a thin layer of sand leftover from winter. tried to pull it back to the left as quickly as i could but it wouldn't have it, so some part of the motorcycle caught the curb and launched me into the grass (that was the lucky part i guess, landing in the dirt.)

Anyway, as far as i can tell it was only cosmetic damage to the Fz6 and I've already fixed the gouges in the frame, just waiting on paint right now and a few fairing components from yamaha. (and a turn signal)
Probably put about 4 hours of work into it yesterday afternoon.

The officer who came to the scene to make sure my head was still attached chuckled and told me he always rides with his high beams on during the day. Think i'll take his advice next time.