Was I wrongly "Lit Up" by the Cop?

franklin5-0

Reaction score
Visit site
And to you, Franklin5-0, I'm not stupid enough to be riding crazy out of my city. I know how small city/surburbs like to do traffic stops. It's all the excitement they have. I shouldn't have said that, it's only half truth. I know 99.99% if I ever do get pull over by my fellow officer, they will give me professional courtesy. We've lost so many officers this year it's not even funny. It's not worth anything to mess with another officers when our lives is so hard already. Good luck getting professional courtesy from a red light camera. Hence, the first video. And thanks for the heads up. Next time I'm in Franklin, MO and a cop tried to pull me over...nevermind.

buddy there is a huge difference between giving professional courtesy to somebody that is speeding and somebody that is showing out just because they think they can. and trust me I get more excitement then I need without running traffic...thats what the motor guys are for.

novaks47

Yeah!
Reaction score
Visit site
Actually, most of the argument was about how she decided to stop inches away from my bike. I don't think she was ever planning to light me up, put when I pointed out where she stopped in such close proxmity where I was and how I reacted by shaking my head in disbelief, that's when the light came up. And then that's when the right hand turn lane subject came up, as she was trying to use that against me. Kind of like changing the subject because in honesty, she probably realized that she did stop too close.

I do know that a cop can pull you over for any reason, as they will make up a reason if they can't find one. And they can write any citiation they want, even using their creativity on how much their imagination will allow them.

That is why we have our traffic courts. Which will always side towards the LEO unless you have great witnesses and documents.

Wow, this thread got derailed! :popcorn:

The bold is what that was all about. She probably already hates motorcyclists, got irritated when you passed those people, and then got all offended when you shook your head at her. You bruised her clearly already delicate ego. I'd also bet that she couldn't even bring herself to admit she was too close! It was all about a bruised ego, and an attitude problem. I guess I'm the only one that thinks you did right to argue with her? lol I would've argued too, even though I normally don't argue with cops, based solely on principle. Who is she to lecture on legal/safety issues, when she's being unsafe? Sounds like it wasn't even an actual traffic stop anyways! She just threw on her lights to alert other cars that she wasn't going to be moving soon.

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Whoa! I leave for half a day and this thread explodes.

Ok, first things first....

*pulls out sidearm*

EVERYBODY BACK!!

Ok, just going to say everyone is getting VERY aggressive with their assessment of tcmalker. He has been polite and courteous of other people’s views and in return he is not receiving the same. That is not fair to him and reflects poorly on this forum. Also, when did this forum turn into a police state? Either agree with us or be shunned as an outcast? Out of principle that upsets me. Freedom of speech or bust. I get this is a family forum and all that so I tone my posts way down for it, but impeding opinions is just wrong. A forum is a place for discussion, not affirmation of existing opinions.

Among the things he is getting flak for…..speeding?? WTF. People who don’t zip over the limit now and again are incompetent motorists. They just are. They clog up the roads like arterial waste. Sure, my typical speed is speed limit +15%, but that’s because I ride a sport machine with great brakes and am a rider with reaction times better than a grandma driving a dump truck. The letter of the law says don’t speed. If you do you get tickets. Tickets in this case are just a road tax. It is revenue collection. Getting all high and mighty because tcmalker is willing to pay a road tax for efficient and safe use of our public roads is pretty righteous. The spirit of the law says be considerate and not dangerous. Tcmalker doesn’t seem to be doing that. Sure that red light clip was a bit sketchy, but not to the point where it was heinous or anything. The rest is just efficient, albeit a touch aggressive, riding. I don’t know about you, but I much prefer to have all the action coming at me from the front where I can react to it until I get to a nice clear section where I ease off than putt-putting along in traffic surrounded by that grandma in the dump truck and all her friends.

Just because the guy is being open, up front, polite, and courteous doesn’t give anyone an opening to treat him roughly.

Now, all that being said…unless you’re in the saddle assessing risk at that moment you can’t know the situation really, but to me if I’m coming up to an intersection with traffic, criss-crossing through it while gunning it is something I won’t do as a rule of thumb. Most of the time nobody is set to turn left and I can see that, but I know if I get into that habit ONE day someone will be and I won’t see them. So I ease off on yellow. Those great brakes are great for that. But I do keep an eye out on the mirrors. If it is a close yellow I ALWAYS push through because I don’t want to risk getting rear ended. But if it is a late yellow and there is any risk of it going red, since I never approach intersections at my usual limit + 15% speed in the first place so braking isn’t a problem.

Now, as for everyone else here, can I put my gun away?

P.S. The only thing that grinds my gears about this is that I don't get the same treatment when doing limit+15% in a safe way. That is screwed up. Tcmalker, not just LEOs have tough lives. Paying $1500 in road tax this year made my tough life tougher. I didn't get any recognition for that by the LEOs that pulled me over (rest were cameras).

Last edited:

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Novaks47 analogy is correct. No disrespect to any LEO as I am always very courteous when I get pulled over. But not when the cop performs an intentional unsafe act directed against me.

Remember, I didn't technically get pulled over, she lit me up as we were both at the red light. The light had turned green and all the cars were buzzing around us while we were still in the middle of the street. Bad judgement by the cop right there, she should have waited until we both started rolling and then have me pull off to the side of the street.

Once again, her big EGO as Novaks47 mentioned clouded her good judgement, that's if she had any.

Tcmalker, I did not delete your post. I have no objection to a poll. I am pretty thick skinned on the forum, as everyone should be, as everyone may not agree. Once again, no disrespect to you or anyone else in the armed forces, but I don't consider a Military Officer as a LEO outside of base. This will probably be another thread in itself, but correct me if I'm wrong. An off duty cop, like a Chicago cop is always on duty, can carry a weapon at all times even on his days off and can perform his duties as a police officer anywhere he is as long as a crime is commited in the act. Can a Military Cop do the samething off base? Do they have all the power as a State Trooper or any municipal cop?

CHEMIKER

Running Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Friends that tried to protect your good name (by deleting a poll posted by me asking whether Vegasrider was right or wrong in his action).

I deleted your poll. Not because Vegas can't take it - he's a big boy. I deleted it because it was nonsense - had nothing to do with motorcycles or to add anything constructive here.

cap'n

Reaction score
Visit site
I deleted your poll. Not because Vegas can't take it - he's a big boy. I deleted it because it was nonsense - had nothing to do with motorcycles or to add anything constructive here.

Agreed, for what it's worth.

Also, for the record,

tcmalker said:
And to you, Franklin5-0, I'm not stupid enough to be riding crazy out of my city.

...implies by its inverse that you ARE stupid enough to "ride crazy" inside your own city, which may carry a lower risk of getting you a ticket because you can flash an MP badge, but is nevertheless... stupid. Wheelying between a slow lane of cars and a city bus pulling away from the curb is duuuuumb. Dumb. The fact that you video'ed it, then posted that video, suggests that on some level you want recognition for doing something dumb ("check out what I can do!"), and as others have said, this isn't that kind of place, which is why I like it. It also gives a good example of why some members have been reticent to accept that you are in fact a law enforcement officer of some sort.

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
you video'ed it, then posted that video, want recognition for doing something dumb ("check out what I can do!"), and as others have said, this isn't that kind of place, which is why I like it.

It is that kind of place. Others have posted similar stuff. Sure you get flamed for it, that's par for the course.

But nobody should be prevented from posting it in the first place. In fact, posting it should be encouraged.

It's entertaining. Then again, so are train wrecks. But entertainment is entertainment.

Keep em coming folks!

cap'n

Reaction score
Visit site
It is that kind of place. Others have posted similar stuff. Sure you get flamed for it, that's par for the course.

But nobody should be prevented from posting it in the first place. In fact, posting it should be encouraged.

It's entertaining. Then again, so are train wrecks. But entertainment is entertainment.

Keep em coming folks!

Not to split hairs, but I wasn't saying people don't post it here, just that when they do, as you say yourself, they don't get kudos, "they get flamed for it." I like that this isn't the kind of place that rewards flagrant stupidity (it just chuckles at it.)

The Toecutter

Hero for Hire
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
If this was in Brooklyn, NY.. you'd be in a prison cell right now :BLAA:

LOL here in Shreveport for arguing with a cop he would have been shot(literally) beaten,took to the hospital,allowed to heal,beaten some more,released on probation,violated and beaten by P.O. sent to prison learn how to ride bulls in the rodeo and make leather products,released on parole,violated beaten and sent back to prison...... :BLAA:

novaks47

Yeah!
Reaction score
Visit site
Whoa! I leave for half a day and this thread explodes.

Ok, first things first....

*pulls out sidearm*

EVERYBODY BACK!!

Ok, just going to say everyone is getting VERY aggressive with their assessment of tcmalker. He has been polite and courteous of other people’s views and in return he is not receiving the same. That is not fair to him and reflects poorly on this forum. Also, when did this forum turn into a police state? Either agree with us or be shunned as an outcast? Out of principle that upsets me. Freedom of speech or bust. I get this is a family forum and all that so I tone my posts way down for it, but impeding opinions is just wrong. A forum is a place for discussion, not affirmation of existing opinions.

Among the things he is getting flak for…..speeding?? WTF. People who don’t zip over the limit now and again are incompetent motorists. They just are. They clog up the roads like arterial waste. Sure, my typical speed is speed limit +15%, but that’s because I ride a sport machine with great brakes and am a rider with reaction times better than a grandma driving a dump truck. The letter of the law says don’t speed. If you do you get tickets. Tickets in this case are just a road tax. It is revenue collection. Getting all high and mighty because tcmalker is willing to pay a road tax for efficient and safe use of our public roads is pretty righteous. The spirit of the law says be considerate and not dangerous. Tcmalker doesn’t seem to be doing that. Sure that red light clip was a bit sketchy, but not to the point where it was heinous or anything. The rest is just efficient, albeit a touch aggressive, riding. I don’t know about you, but I much prefer to have all the action coming at me from the front where I can react to it until I get to a nice clear section where I ease off than putt-putting along in traffic surrounded by that grandma in the dump truck and all her friends.

ROFL!! That's the perfect description for 99% of CA "drivers".

Jeez, I can't believe she did that in the middle of traffic! Talk about unsafe! All it would've taken in one distracted/sleeping driver to take you both out! Around here, that definitely would've been an accident. :eek:

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
Please tell me that was in fast forward or something!:eek:
I saw several places where that guy is a slowpoke. I know that road in Moscow and he can do much better than that. Maybe, he was slowing it down because he knew the camera was on. He's lucky if a traffic cop would even bother with his conservative riding style and write a ticket about it.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Me thinks Kenny's thread has been thoroughly hijacked! :spank: :hijack:

rsw81

Keep it Kosher
Reaction score
Visit site
Back on topic.... I don't think you were in the wrong here Kenny and were perfectly within your rights as an American citizen to voice your opinion as is your constitutional rights. I do, however, think that turning around and giving her the "WTF?!" gesture probably antagonized an already irritated officer to give you the lights. I think you were perfectly in the right, but could have handled the situation differently and kept your cool more to avoid the situation in the first place.

Your right hand turn, in my understanding of the law, was perfectly legal. Then again, so was the officer pulling within a foot of your rear tire as she did not actually hit you. Do I think it was very polite of her? No. Would I have been annoyed? Yes. Would I probably have turned around and at least shook my head at her? Likely.

Just look at the bright side. You didn't get a ticket and you aren't harmed in any way. Enjoy the winter riding season while the rest of America freezes it's stars off.

ozzieboy

Avid 4WD Hunter
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Can't say for sure judging by your laws, but over here I can pass on the left (opposite obviously) if the person is indicating to turn right, or stopped, regardless off whether I am sharing a lane. I do however have to observe other laws about clearence between myself and the vehicles I am overtaking.

It all sounds pretty similar:thumbup:.

I personally think that doing what you did would be safer than sitting at the back of the pack, waiting for the occasional idiot who doesn't see the stopped traffic ahead, and ploughs into the stopped traffic, to come along:rolleyes:.

Having an idea of how you ride (by tire life, credentials etc.) I am certain this was done at a safe speed also:thumbup:.

Green, amber and red over here relate roughly as follows.....

Green - procceed if it is safe to do so.

Amber - stop if it is safe to do so, and the red light is about to come on.

Red - Do not enter the intersection.

As for getting confrontational with uniformed folk....let me relate what happened to me yesterday.....

Radar car comes and sits 6 feet off my tail in a 60km/h zone:eyebrow:. In the interests of protecting my own safety, I change lanes. He changes lanes and continues tailgating me. I roll off the throttle slowly, as we have all been educated to do via an extensive advertising campaign....no help:shakehead:.

I turn round and look at him so he knows I am not amused...no help.

I give a hand gesture that he is a w4nker and he should get off my tail....no help.:spank:

I change lanes rapidly and nail the brakes to get along side him.

I look in his window to make sure I've got his attention, and run my thumb across the throat and point to him, nail the brakes again and follow him:mad:.

After watching him drive straddling white lines, nearly rear ending a truck due to tailgating (this guy really can't drive for crud), he eventually heads to the police station, for the protection of his cronies:rolleyes:.

Now I'm a pretty friendly guy, but I will not take that crud from anyone.....badge and a gun? Who cares? Tough job? So was being in the Persian Gulf in the Gulf War, and it didn't start making me treat people like crud, or make me feel superior to everyone around me, or endanger other peoples well being. Put up with it and report it to the police? Why waste my time? Been there done that. Cops selling pirated movies, on Gov't supplied media, and accessing the personal information of people on his local street, and that of their families as well, using the police computer systems. This is all documented (I've even got a price list, and a video, that once it finishes cuts to a view of the cells with a time stamp on it)....the police complaints authority is a screaming joke, and worse than just a waste of taxpayers money.

I wonder how long it will be before he does it again to someone else:Flip:.

Back to the OP...If they want to talk to you they should pull you over. They should then cite you or warn you. They will get a much better response I am sure.

Why should you feel intimidated by a cop? If they are doing something wrong, let them know.

Want respect? Give a little, get a little. Want to try and p1$$ me off?.....Why not give 'em what they want, and see if they are smiling?

If people are shocked and think I behaved badly, they are of course entitled to their opinion. My opinion is that there is no excuse for someone in uniform to deliberately and knowingly endanger someone else to try and intimidate them or amuse themselves. I know that reporting things to the police about the police here in sunny Adelaide is a complete waste of time, so I acted accordingly.