I got backed over by a van.

Fred

M em b er e d
Reaction score
www.robietech.com
Read up on Compartment Syndrome.
If you see any of the signs, go back to the hospital immediately.
It's pretty common in motorcycle accidents when the bike falls on the rider's leg.

The big warning sign is that pain in the affected area increases with time rather than decreases.

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Glad to hear you're OK and sorry you had this happen!

Her insurance will downplay it and pay as little as possible. It's their nature to do this with all claims. Get a lawyer and do not speak with her insurance at all on your own.

Heal fast and save your riding decision for a spell.

The Toecutter

Hero for Hire
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Read up on Compartment Syndrome.
If you see any of the signs, go back to the hospital immediately.
It's pretty common in motorcycle accidents when the bike falls on the rider's leg.

The big warning sign is that pain in the affected area increases with time rather than decreases.
yea she smashed my leg hard enough to tear the rubber off the rear brake lever.my boots did their job though!it was a hard enough smoosh to give me a hemotoma the size of an orange with blood on the surface of the skin.a blood clot is my biggest worry now.

DaveOTZ

Reaction score
Visit site
WOW!!! I would not be nearly as calm as you seem right now...

Get enough opinions on that leg as you can till the doc doesn't shake his head...

crush injuries SUCK!!! look out for swelling excess pain, odd sweating/goose bump patterns...

Do not be tough guy... when that much blood pools in a spot which that is so far from the heart make sure its all good...

If the boomers want to keep their cars get them out of trucks, vans and cadis and make them all drive beetles... She should walk into oncoming traffic...

Mattberkshire

Reaction score
Visit site
Really sorry to hear about your mishap Shreveport. Similar thing happened to me but thankfully I wasn't on the bike, it just got sent to the repair shop for 3 months.

My wife was talking earlier to a friend about horseriding. She said she used to be able to ride any horse, take jumps, go hunting but when she had kids the fear of injury took over and she stopped. I don't really think about this when I ride a bike but incidents like yours can have big consequences. As you said you can gear up and ride safely and still come a cropper. We just have to assess the risks and get on with it.

Get better soon, sort the bike and get back on it. Don't let some dumbass ruin your fun. Oh and sue for her every penny she's got

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Man I hate it when I wake up to read stuff like this....so glad your ok, sorry about your bike, but extremely glad your both relatively ok.

It's the worst feeling when something like this happens, not your fault, and powerless to do much to avoid impact.

Hope you missus is ok, it's also horrible for partners when this stuff happens.

If I can do anything to help, don't hesitate to PM me...here's to a speedy recovery with both you and your bike.

Reaction score
Visit site
Gotta admit...this story is going to be hard to beat at the next water cooler meeting:Flash:

Seriously, hind sight being 100% sure..dropping the bike and two legging it out of there seems to have been your only and best exit route.

When you numbers up its up...bike, walking, eating, etc. Once your feeling better you'll change your mind, and your wife seems to be a trooper, so get to feeling better and fix the ride.

PS: Punishment for the old lady...shave her head, put her on your bike, and you get to back up!!!!

davidsa1

Naked is more fun.
Reaction score
Visit site
yea she smashed my leg hard enough to tear the rubber off the rear brake lever.my boots did their job though!it was a hard enough smoosh to give me a hemotoma the size of an orange with blood on the surface of the skin.a blood clot is my biggest worry now.

Man, that sucks really sorry to hear that. I had a hemotoma simular to what you are describing (dirt bike), blood clots a definatley a big concern with them. Anyway I hope you heal up quickley and get back on her. :thumbup:

Stumbles06

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
$HIT MAN, glad to see you are (sort of) ok, that's just crazy. Not what I wanna read first thing in the morning, wrong.. just wrong. She was Behind you, must have seen you, then proceeds to run over you. Definate case of DWHUA. :spank:

I know it's like beating a dead-horse, but for the sake of a few seconds... God People.. FFS... RELAX & SLOW DOWN.. I'm sure your beauty appoint will wait.

Real sorry to see this Shreve, hope the pain goes away quickly, and get back out there.
Listen to your lovely wife, you know how much you love riding (as does she), keep the bike and enjoy.

:thumbup:

ender

ohfive
Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry to hear about the accident. Hope you heal quickly. Now I'm going to be looking for those backup lights.

Best wishes, ender

Cali rider

Reaction score
Visit site
Wow, what an odd incident. It's difficult to understand why someone would make this kind traffic move and not pay particular attention to the motorcycle that she was just stopped behind. Total distraction on her part. I'm glad to read that you survived this, it really could have been catastrophic!

Her insurance will downplay it and pay as little as possible. It's their nature to do this with all claims. Get a lawyer and do not speak with her insurance at all on your own.

Words of wisdom, my friend. Heed them.

rickvan67

Junior Cheeseburger
Reaction score
Visit site
You are so lucky to have walked away! Glad you are OK. That is the strangest motorcycle accident I've heard of in ages, god you'd think you'd be safe parked at an intersection waiting for a friggin train to pass by!

W

wrightme43

my wife says to wait and see what her insurance company has to say before i call a lawyer.

No I must disagree. Call a lawyer, do not talk to the insurance company about anything other than damage to the bike.

Insurance companies are evil evil evil manipulative bastiches. Sorry if any of you are in insurance but thems the facts as I see it. I promise they do not have your welfare at heart and in fact your welfare, is the furthest thing from thier minds. Profit drives insurance, I.E. have you ever seen one nonprofit insurance company???????

Sorry that happened man, it sucks. In the future no matter what if you see a vehicle moving near you, its in gear with the clutch in, hand on gas, left foot on the ground, right foot on the rear brake, and ready to go with a escape route planed and just waiting on hair trigger. We cant be there.

Imagine in your mind a bunch of sparrows harrying a hawk. If the hawk grabs one its dead, if the hawk gets altitude and can convert it to airspeed the sparrows are screwed, if the hawk can land on the nesting area they sparrows are screwed, but the sparrows drive away the hawk by being more manuverable, able to accel, decel and change directions faster. That is our only advantage, we just cant be there.

Sorry for the rant man.

Heal up quick, sue the hell out of here. She was late for a hair appointment man. Your late for your life for who knows how long, and your bike is hurt. It lost a great deal of value today, and she needed to get her hair done.

STUPID cagers.

Jman

Metamorphic
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Glad you are still in one piece. Hope you recover quickly! Sorry to hear the news.:disapprove:

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Yes, be very careful, try and keep the blood flowing, and get a decent doctor to keep am eye on the blood clot...you don't want to get a deep vein thrombosis, which can then lead to much worse...a pulminory embulism...ain't no doctor, but I have just been through this..and it ain't fun...