Wind knocked the bike over; can I repair the damages?

LinearCitrus

Reaction score
Visit site
So with the recent tropical storm Jose, I was notified by my apartment complex's maintenance guy (also a rider), that the wind had knocked my bike over not once, but twice (he picked it up once). When I got home that evening, there was a large puddle of oil next to the bike and oil spread all across the right side of the bike. After it stopped raining I went and took a good long look and it appears that the handlebars got bent, but I don't see any other serious damage.

I'm considering filing an insurance claim because I don't feel it's safe to ride with the handlebars like that, but it looks like OEM handlebars are relatively cheap ($75-$100). I'm wondering how difficult it is to replace the handlebars myself (to avoid towing costs, shop costs, etc.), and if it's safe to do that? Like I said, it appears that only the handlebars are damaged, and the oil needs to be replenished, but I wanted to get some opinions before I make a decision.

Thoughts?

Thanks

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
changing the handlebars is a little bit of a pain but somewhat one of the easier repairs you can do yourself. it will take a bit of patience but I think you can do this yourself. And this could be the perfect time to swap in with an Fz1 bar for the same price. much better angle on the wrists.. this is a must have upgrade, IMO

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
It's not hard to swap.

BUT if you have a helper or better yet TWO, they can hold, say the brake master cylinder (so that doesn't spill) as you swap the bars out.

Pad the tank with a blanket, etc, so as parts come off the BARS, you can simply set them there till your ready to re-install on the new set.

One part at a time, easy peezy...

major tom

Reaction score
Visit site
You can do it! Look everything over closely first, Do you have the tools? Box end wrenches or sockets not open ended or crescent wrenches, allen wrenches.too. Getting the grips off and on is tricky. An air compressor is best but a long thin skinny screw driver or tool and brake parts cleaner will also work. Cover your gas tank, fairing and especially the dash instruments-no over spray. Remove the bar-ends before removing the handlebar. Remember, you can just loosen the handlebar clamps and slide it side to side if necessary to remove brake lever, throttle assy, etc without stressing cables or wires. Replace everything in reverse order. Grips can be glued with hair spray and allowed to dry overnight or dedicated cement. Viola! Congratulations You're done.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
You may find a free replacement of the handlebars on the forum, many have converted over to the FZ1 bars. Or now maybe a good time to do one if you are interested in this mod

swedespeed

Reaction score
Visit site
I wouldn't use brake cleaner to get the grips off, that stuff eats paint and who knows what else. All you need is a quick spray of rubbing alcohol and a flat head screwdriver. With the bar ends removed, use the screwdriver to pry a little bit of grip away from the bar, then spray some rubbing alcohol in there. Push the screwdriver farther in and spray a bit more alcohol, then rotate the screwdriver all the way around the grip. Grip will come right off.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I wouldn't use brake cleaner to get the grips off, that stuff eats paint and who knows what else. All you need is a quick spray of rubbing alcohol and a flat head screwdriver. With the bar ends removed, use the screwdriver to pry a little bit of grip away from the bar, then spray some rubbing alcohol in there. Push the screwdriver farther in and spray a bit more alcohol, then rotate the screwdriver all the way around the grip. Grip will come right off.

Just a side note, brake cleaner doesn't eat paint... Brake fluid, carb cleaner will.

We're talking fighing ONE grip (the left). Once the bar end is off, you can easily sneak a very thin screwdriver, from the bar end, INTO the grip
to break it loose, Some WD40 helps... Just clean that WD 40 off real well before re-glueing..

swedespeed

Reaction score
Visit site
Depending on the paint, I have definitely seen brake cleaner (even the non-chlorinated formula) remove paint. Depends on the type of paint, application (powder coat, acrylic enamel, clear, etc).

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I thought that as well, until a small drip of brake cleaner from an aerosol can instantly flaked off a chunk of paint the size of a coin, on my FZ6's front rim.

My wheels are the only thing that see's the shop for tire changes (and that's off the bike).

I only allow ONE person to do it. I trust him not to scratch it, (tip him well) and my wheels are in cherry condition.

When he balances the wheels / tires, He uses BRAKE CLEANER on the wheels (black wheels) so the sticky weights adhere well

I've watched him do that on EVERY TIRE change since 2009 and there is NO discoloration, issues at all.

Perhaps what he's using is not as strong as yours, maybe yours is stronger...

But it is brake cleaner....