How to Remove an Oil Filter - Screwdriver

trampld

Reaction score
Visit site
that is a nice little tool, i am going to start looking for one from the States to get.

That site is the first place that I found a pic to link to - I bought mine in the States from one of the tool trucks that used to visit the Dealership where I worked as a tech.

For some reason I think it is a KD branded tool - I will check a catalog and reply back.

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
That site is the first place that I found a pic to link to - I bought mine in the States from one of the tool trucks that used to visit the Dealership where I worked as a tech.

For some reason I think it is a KD branded tool - I will check a catalog and reply back.

my work is right next to a VIP discount auto and i see the Snap-off tools truck there and can probably swing through and see if they have any.

trampld

Reaction score
Visit site
KD has one that is similar to the one that I have and the p/n is 3288

OTC has a couple that are similar p/n 4568 and p/n 4569 (4569 is the closest to the pic in the link above)

S-K has a couple listed as well that are similar p/n 90220 with a range of 2 3/8" - 4 3/4" and p/n 90216 with a range of 2 3/8" - 3 3/4" <---this one looks identical to the one I have...

Hope this helps...

Raid The Revenge

Reaction score
Visit site
So nice to see everyone getting along.

I just recently stabbed a screwdriver into an oil-filter like an assassin! After the ordeal, I thought HEY! Maybe I should show everyone else How To Do It?

I forgot to mention, make sure you hold the screwdriver with a MURDER grip! Ha Ha Ha.

fudge_FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
IMO why wast the money on a filter wrench when you can buy gas..lol and you should always discard your old filter so a screwdriver works like a charm.. and you gotta admit who don't like stabbing something every now and again. lol

ant_mb

Super *********
Reaction score
Visit site
Here is the tool I use! It was like $5 from Pep Boys and is the right tool to use. It is actually cheaper than the quality screwdriver you're using.

bd43

Staff member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Am I the only one torquing down the oil filter? You can't torque to spec unless you have the wrench ant_mb pointed out which is the one I have too.

watermark.php

I've got a torque wrench, might as well use it....:D

Maverick

Reaction score
Visit site
Am I the only one torquing down the oil filter? You can't torque to spec unless you have the wrench ant_mb pointed out which is the one I have too.

I've got a torque wrench, might as well use it....:D

I torque mine down too, but it's more of an excuse to use the torque wrench :thumbup:

H

HavBlue

IMO why wast the money on a filter wrench when you can buy gas..lol and you should always discard your old filter so a screwdriver works like a charm.. and you gotta admit who don't like stabbing something every now and again. lol

Yeah but you're wasting ride time. By the time you stab the filter and take it off those of us with the K&N filter or the filter tool that uses the ratchet will be out riding twisties. We'll be thinking about you though.......... NOT!!!!!

Raid The Revenge

Reaction score
Visit site
I guess we've all used the screwdriver method at one time or another. But it's a desperation method rather than an advisable technique.

I should've put that message in my tutorial.

The screwdriver technique is definitely a desperation move. However, I just want to point out that it DID get me to work on time the other day. On my FZ6.

PS- I replaced my screwdriver stabbed filter with a K&N 303c one afterward. My filter wrench got stripped and the nylon strap failed. The screwdriver DOES work, but use CAUTION.