How To: FZ1 Bar on FZ6

matt.fz6

Reaction score
Visit site
I have been doing some reading up on the benefits of the FZ1 bar. This morning was rather wet outside, so I deemed it a perfect time to attempt this install. It was relatively straight forward and could be done with a few simple tools. As this is my first how-to write up, I do apologize in advance.

Total install time: 60 mins

Tools Required:

•10mm socket

•8mm socket

•8mm Allen key

•5mm Allen key

•ratchet and extension (for ease)

•Phillips screwdriver

•coat hangar

Remove both bar ends using the 8mm Allen key

Image-1.jpg

Using the coat hangar, make a small 90 bend at the end. This will act as your handle/lever. Insert the straight end between the left grip and the handlebar. Using your little lever rotate around the bar, freeing up the glue used to hold the grip. Once this has been done, you should be able to wiggle/twist the grip off.

Image-2.jpg

Using the Phillips screwdriver, remove the two screws holding the turn signal assembly.

Image-3.jpg

Using the 8mm socket and ratchet, remove the pinch bolt holding the clutch lever.

Image-5.jpg

Once both of these are loose, you should be able to slide them off, and carefully let them hang beside the bar.

Image-6.jpg

Using the Phillips screwdriver again, loosen the three screws holding the throttle assembly on the right side handlebar.

Image-7.jpg

There is no need to completely remove these bolts. Once the bar is loosened, you'll be able to slide it out.

Using the 5mm Allen key, remove the two bolts holding the brake lever and fluid reservoir.

Image-8.jpg

Using the 10mm socket and ratchet, remove the 4 bolts holding the handlebar down.

Image-9.jpg

Once these bolts are out and the bar is loose, you should be able to slide the bar out of the throttle assembly. You can also carefully let the throttle assembly and brake lever hang while you install the new bar.

You'll notice that at the bottom of the throttle assembly there is a small locator knob that centers the controls on the bar( I forgot to take a picture of this). The new bar has a hole for this, but in the wrong spot. You have two options for this. You can measure and drill a new hole for the centering nub, but I opted to just snip the piece of plastic off. This gave me the option to make minor adjustments later on without having to drill additional holes. Once you tighten the screws down, there is no play in the controls.

Install the new bar in reverse order. I sprayed the right end of the bar with some krown (wd-40 or something similar would also work) to help the bar slide through the throttle assembly.

As you proceed to install the remaining parts, lightly snug all the bolts/screws. You may have to make minor adjustments to ensure clearance.

Once everything is installed, check your clearances. Turn the bars all the way to the left, and all the way to right, making sure nothing touches the tank. You may have to rotate the bars slightly up. Once you have ensured everything is good, go around and re-tighten all the bolts and screws.

Image-10.jpg

You can see how much clearance I have, I may even lower the bar a bit more, see if that makes any difference, while still keeping minimal clearance

tony

Reaction score
Visit site
How is the riding position? I like the upright positioning but want a little more tuck. Just not the tuck that you get from a supersport. Thinking about getting the FZ1 bar.

matt.fz6

Reaction score
Visit site
To be honest I changed the bar to minimize hand craps, and it has fixed just that. With regards to the riding position, you are slightly more tucked, but nothing even close to a SS. I have long arms, so the tuck may have been even less for me