How to Remove an Oil Filter - Screwdriver

zixxerboy

Reaction score
Visit site
Gotta give a HUGE thanks to the original poster on this one. Earlier tonight, I was doing my 2nd oil change on my FZ6. When I did the original one, I replaced the filter with a Purcolator and used a torque wrench and oil filter socket wrench to torque it to spec. That was BEFORE I had read on here that folks recommend hand tightening only. Little did I suspect that that would come to haunt me.

So I spent much too much time trying to use my oil filter socket wrench, a strap wrench, and a 3 prong claw wrench, to get my damn oil filter off, but it would NOT... COME... OFF!!! The primary problem with all three of the above, is that none of them could maintain a proper grip around the oil filter. Even the oil filter socket wrench kept slipping upwards/off.

Jumped onto the boards in desperation, found this thread and figured what the hell do I have to lose? 15 minutes with a flathead and a hammer and I finally got the bastard off! Talk about waaaay too much hassle, for a lousy oil change. Oh well, lesson learned... hand tighten that filter!

I have a cheap strap wrench that wouldn't grip and years ago I zip tied a piece of sandpaper to the inside of the strap - works wonders.

DaveOTZ

Reaction score
Visit site
Oil filter wrench... the screwdriver should be you last resort....

+1... I usually end up needing to do the screwdriver method... but last time the tin can filter got shredded and I needed the 2-needle nose pliers method... Then I needed the band aid method... Then I was good to ride...

Censport

Reaction score
www.breezybrigade.com
I used a screwdriver too, but in a different way:

1. Drill a small hole in the side of the filter "cup" wrench.
2. Slide wrench onto filter.
3. Put screw into hole and drive it into filter.
4. Turn filter wrench, removing filter.

P1010110-1.jpg

It worked so well, the screw never moved. As you can see, it never "slotted" the filter, as the filter had no choice but to move with the wrench.

P1010113-1.jpg