Hit a rock (6" tall) on freeway - help

Symba2000

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello,

I don't post often but have been lurking ever since I got my FZ6 in October. I was wondering if there was anyone here who can help me out...

Tonight, at about 12:30am, I was riding up the 880N in Alameda when I suddenly saw a giant rock sitting in front of me... coming fast. I was going 70mph and figured I couldn't move out of the way safely, so I braced myself and held onto the handle bars tightly. The bike got some air and came back down with a hard thump.

I was able to maintain control and keep her straight... but I suddenly felt the bike become unresponsive and wobbly. I took the next exit and pulled over only to find out that both my front and rear tires were flat. Upon closer inspection, the front rim was bent, folding in by maybe 2-3 inches. The rear rim only had a slight 1/2 inch bend but had a crack where it bent.

If the motorcycle Gods are kind, hopefully my fork didn't bend during this whole ordeal.

My question to the community was whether or not anyone had a spare front and rear rim to sell at a fair price? I haven't begun research on buying new ones just yet but thought instead to reach out first. If not, does anyone know of a good place to buy on the cheap? I just came out of a financial slump... and this expense may put me right back in it... :(

I may need to buy new tires as well... but I figure the tires will probably be less? Well, it's 3am now, I'm very shaken up, and I really need sleep. If someone can help, I would be very grateful.

Thank you in advance for reading this... I know that I got very lucky tonight by even being alive to post this. I'm taking things one step at a time... starting off with appreciating life...

Last edited:
W

wrightme43

Damn man glad your ok.

Not a clue on wheels except to try salvage yards.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Wow, that's pretty nasty....so glad your ok, sorry about your wheels. I am thinking a search for secondhand wheels on the net, and at wreckers yards as already suggested...might be your best option.

Am pretty sure the FZ6 shares the same wheels as at least one or two years of the R6?

Again, sounds like you were very lucky & unlucky all at the same time.

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
glad you are ok and good luck with your wheel search. Ths FZ does share the same wheels as the R6s for 03-06 r6 and 06-08 r6s, Check the amateur racers page of your local track if you have one, the one around here always has people selling spare sets of wheels.

Ebay?

Front rim in Santa Rosa California Buy it now $149:
eBay Motors: Yamaha R6 FZ6 FZ 600 Front Rim Wheel (item 220353650460 end time Mar-31-09 12:43:08 PDT)

Rear rim with Pilot power tire 90% tread also in California (Sacremento) Buy it now $140:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/03-0...7114581QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories
Not sure how far from you these places are, but if you make the drive you can probably save on the shipping.

Then all you will need is a new front tire and can probably also make some $ back by selling your rear sprocket, rotor, ect... since the rear rim comes with everything on it already.

Last edited:

Symba2000

Reaction score
Visit site
glad you are ok and good luck with your wheel search. Ths FZ does share the same wheels as the R6s for 03-06 r6 and 06-08 r6s, Check the amateur racers page of your local track if you have one, the one around here always has people selling spare sets of wheels.

Ebay?

Front rim in Santa Rosa California Buy it now $149:
eBay Motors: Yamaha R6 FZ6 FZ 600 Front Rim Wheel (item 220353650460 end time Mar-31-09 12:43:08 PDT)

Rear rim with Pilot power tire 90% tread also in California (Sacremento) Buy it now $140:
eBay Motors: 03-05 and r6s YAMAHA R6 REAR WHEEL RIM complet tire 90% (item 270357114581 end time Apr-10-09 20:11:46 PDT)
Not sure how far from you these places are, but if you make the drive you can probably save on the shipping.

Then all you will need is a new front tire and can probably also make some $ back by selling your rear sprocket, rotor, ect... since the rear rim comes with everything on it already.

Thank you so much for the help. Both places are definitely driving distance from me, so this is a good sign of hope. Do you know if those prices are considered decent? I was looking around online with part #'s and couldn't find any prices.

I was thinking about calling around to various shops to get an idea of their market value. I'm just in a money crunch now and need to spend as little as possible... if possible.

xj750_Pete

Young Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
I know a motorcycle salvage yard that may have what you are looking for. I think Reiobard is right about the interchangability of the wheels, so there are lots of options out there.

Give these guys a try:
Safari Cycle

Good luck with the search.

Last edited:

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thank God you are OK, we all have those "Oh 5hit" moments, you got through yours and live to ride another day.

Hindsight is always great after the event lol. They only constructive thing I can add is, If you are ever faced with that situation again. Stop looking at the object and look where you want to go. It really does work.

Good luck mate

:thumbup:

CHEMIKER

Running Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry to hear about your - experience - accident doesn't seem like the right word. At 70mph it's awesome that you kept control and didn't crash. Way to go. Not much to add; everyone else has covered my recommendation: ebay and craigslist. Good luck with the search.

I may need to buy new tires as well...

I would absolutely buy new tires. You hit something hard enough to bend and crack your rims, and the tires were squashed in between. Even if the damage isn't visible, the tires could be ruined on the inside.

Symba2000

Reaction score
Visit site
Thank you all for the support. It's very reassuring hearing it come from a community of people who understand how it is out there. Yes, it was intense when my bike landed and began the speed wobble.

Should I be concerned with salvage yards having potentially (unnoticeably) bent rims?

Symba2000

Reaction score
Visit site
The funny thing is.. when I ride normally on the streets, I practice hard / sudden swerving using various objects I see on the ground for reference. I practice these usually at 30-40mph.

Given the limited visibility at midnight (even with high-beams on!) and it being 70mph, I'm not sure what else I could've done except hold on for the impact. I'll definitely take your advice and start practicing that though... see what kind of swerve I can make at slightly higher speeds. I'll work my way up the speedometer...

Symba2000

Reaction score
Visit site
you rock man.. thanks for the input. When I get off work today, I'll check various boards and links you guys have provided.

My neck is feeling a little sore... probably from the stress of the landing impact and the strain from straightening out from the wobbles.

Mattberkshire

Reaction score
Visit site
Wow, you were lucky today. Glad you survived what must have been a hell of an impact. The forces of inertia would have helped but you must have reacted pretty quick to stay upright.:rockon: Good luck with the wheel search. If you are going to buy 2nd hand make sure you inspect thoroughly. Cast alloy wheels can get hairline fractures from impacts that make them unsafe.

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Huge kudos for taking that head on and not having an off! Glad to hear the bike took the damage and not YOU!

Hope you find some great deals and get back on two wheels soon!

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The funny thing is.. when I ride normally on the streets, I practice hard / sudden swerving using various objects I see on the ground for reference. I practice these usually at 30-40mph.

Given the limited visibility at midnight (even with high-beams on!) and it being 70mph, I'm not sure what else I could've done except hold on for the impact. I'll definitely take your advice and start practicing that though... see what kind of swerve I can make at slightly higher speeds. I'll work my way up the speedometer...

I guess this could be an example of "Overiding your Headlights" ( breaking distance exceeds sight distance ).

1. You could slow down

2. Maybe look into improving your lights, change out your stock bulbs to better and brighter bulbs.

3. Did you have a clear visor on?

Good job of maintaining control of the bike though!

Symba2000

Reaction score
Visit site
Very true... although I never thought 70mph would be considered too fast for empty night riding. I guess there's a rude awakening for everything. Thank goodness the cost was only my wheels and tires... and not me. Yeesh.

Hehe, thanks for the advice man.

kinderwood

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Wow thank god your ok. That sounds like it could've been a lot worse at that speed. If you don't mind me asking, how did you control the wobbles? Slow down gently and let the bike choose a path so to speak instead of fighting it? As for parts I would say moto salvage/wreckers.

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thank you so much for the help. Both places are definitely driving distance from me, so this is a good sign of hope. Do you know if those prices are considered decent? I was looking around online with part #'s and couldn't find any prices.

I was thinking about calling around to various shops to get an idea of their market value. I'm just in a money crunch now and need to spend as little as possible... if possible.

Well the rear (If the tire actually IS 90% tread) the price with the rim, sprocket, rotor and labor to put it all together is less than just the tire would have been new... so IMO you should buy that one without hesitation.

Also FYI Ronayers.com has the rear wheel for $294 and the front for $423:spank: and those prices are JUST THE RIMS!!!

So i think those e-bay ones (Especially if you are local to them and can confirm that they are in good condition) are a good deal.

They are usually a good OEM replacement place...