04' FZ6N Single headlight wiring help

Jdehler113042

Reaction score
Visit site
Good evening all,

Really hoping I can get some help on this.

But first off, you guys are an awesome community, i've utilized the forum pages since last year to help me through my rebuild. Took me a year too join!. Don't roast me yet! lol

My question for the masses is I have an FZ6N headlight wiring question around lo/hi beam functionality. I have an LED bulb in currently and I have a similar bd43 wire connected to the top of the of the light socket, black/green on the right and all black on the left. The solid green wire that I have traces back to the connector under the tank where there was an open slot for the wire to go (sorry if i'm explaining this vaguely). I've been reading the forums on this but can't figure it out for the life of me. Anyone shed some light on what I'm doing wrong?. My wire harness is for the FZ6S model and I trimmed down the yellow/black wire from the other headlight socket, I can retain if needed.

Greatly appreciate you all in advance

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
sealed-beam-headlight-wiring-diagram-3.jpg
Looking at the back of your H4 plug black w/green is Lo beam. Black w/yellow is hi beam. Black is negative or ground.
Some LED replacements will switch automatically when the hi beam is activated. Some don't but it sounds like you already have the switching.

Oh yeah! Welcome new members!

Jdehler113042

Reaction score
Visit site
Moto!

Greatly appreciate the details! I’ll give the rewiring a go in the next day or so. Hoping it’s simple enough. Do I have a need for the all green wire that’s like BD43s anymore, which is plugged into the connector near the front of the frame where the wire colors change? Or can I just splice the black/yellow and run it to the headlight socket and sub it in for where I have my all green?. All green is up top, black/green is on the right.

Glad to be apart of the community!

Divadb3788

Reaction score
Visit site
Mine was like that for a while the low beam on it on was crap so I just combined the high beam and it’s not to bright but decent enough I really want to go through to putting fz6 kit on it or the fz1 but not sure what or which to buy

Jdehler113042

Reaction score
Visit site
IMG_5617.jpeg
This is my current set up. I believe you need different brackets for the FZ1 headlight but I’m not familiar with the parts needed for that.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Moto!

Greatly appreciate the details! I’ll give the rewiring a go in the next day or so. Hoping it’s simple enough. Do I have a need for the all green wire that’s like BD43s anymore, which is plugged into the connector near the front of the frame where the wire colors change? Or can I just splice the black/yellow and run it to the headlight socket and sub it in for where I have my all green?. All green is up top, black/green is on the right.

Glad to be apart of the community!
Some LED setups don't need switching between hi and lo beam. If you have the bd43 mod then use the green wire from below the airbox as your lo beam. If you have the H4 wire it as I described. You can use a 12 vdc test light to confirm your headlight wires. Normally the lo beam is active and then turns off when the hi beam is turned on. The original US FZ6 did not have proper H4 lamp switching because it had 2 separate headlamps. One headlamp used a dual filament H4 lamp but only used one of the filaments (lo beam) If you wanted to use both the hi and lo filaments you would have to turn off the lo beam filament when the hi beam filament was turned on. This prevented over heating the lamp which used 2 filaments in one bulb (H4). The lamp was a 2 filament halogen H4 bulb. Today there are a few LED type lamps and if your LED lamp is set up for hi and lo beam it may require the proper switching or it may do switching automatically when the hi beam voltage is present. You would need to find the specs on your LED.

Edit: Don't forget to start the engine while testing the headlamp connections because there is a headlamp relay that keeps the headlight circuit off until the engine has started. After the engine is started you use the kill switch to stop the engine and the headlight circuit will stay active until the key is turned to the off position. Don't forget to turn the key off.

Last edited:

Jdehler113042

Reaction score
Visit site
Beginning to make a little more sense now. So green wire I will keep. I’ll recheck to make sure the pin end is in the correct slot under the air box connector. Green wire should be on top and green/black on the right?.

Can you recommend an LED with this function?. I got mine of Amazon and it states it’s a Lo/Hi beam lightbulb.

I messed around with it months ago and flipped the connections. But the blue hi beam indicator was reversed and stayed on.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Beginning to make a little more sense now. So green wire I will keep. I’ll recheck to make sure the pin end is in the correct slot under the air box connector. Green wire should be on top and green/black on the right?.

Can you recommend an LED with this function?. I got mine of Amazon and it states it’s a Lo/Hi beam lightbulb.

I messed around with it months ago and flipped the connections. But the blue hi beam indicator was reversed and stayed on.
No..... the black w/yellow tracer is the hi beam.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
AUXITO H4 LED Light Bulb Motorcycle, 9003 HB2 LED Light 3000LM 6000K Cool White 1860 CSP LED Chips, Pack of 1 https://a.co/d/3wqeKHl

Or so I thought it did at least. I might be completely wrong about my previous statement
There are so many different LED lamps out there it would be hard to tell. Marketing is so skewed today that I'm not surprised if I see, "and she lub you long long time!"
Wait....... is that politically correct? I dunno, ask Dave C. and Bill B...... Lol!

Last edited:

Jdehler113042

Reaction score
Visit site
There are so many different LED lamps out there it would be hard to tell. Marketing is so skewed today that I'm not surprised if I see, "and she lub you long long time!"
Wait....... is that politically correct? I dunno, as Dave C. and Bill B...... Lol!
Re-wired everything and put it all back together. Black/yellow is now on the right, solid green BD43 wire on top and black/yellow’s ground wire on the left now.

Will put the battery in tomorrow to test.

Greatly appreciate the help gents! Awesome community

I’ll shop around for a better headlight that states it’s a lo/hi beam bulb.

Politically correct in this generation I’ll agree with that lol

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Re-wired everything and put it all back together. Black/yellow is now on the right, solid green BD43 wire on top and black/yellow’s ground wire on the left now.

Will put the battery in tomorrow to test.

Greatly appreciate the help gents! Awesome community

I’ll shop around for a better headlight that states it’s a lo/hi beam bulb.

Politically correct in this generation I’ll agree with that lol
Sorry the plain black wire is the one that goes on the left. That is the negative or ground wire. So green bd43 wire is lo beam. Black with yellow tracer is the hi beam. If you have a black with green wire left over just terminate it so it's insulated and tuck it away. You should have a plain black wire that was for the headlight plugs.

Where in NY are you. I'm originally from Jersey over 30 years ago. That's why I'm probably a little politically incorrect!

Jdehler113042

Reaction score
Visit site
My fault I should have specified. All black wire is on the left, black/yellow on the right and BD43 wire on top. Trimmed the black/green down and tucked it along with its ground wire.

I’m over in Western NY, originally from Brooklyn though, so can understand the incorrectness!

Again I appreciate all the help. Been after this for a year and finally realized I needed to reach out to the forum folks.