FZ6 vs Corvette

Darth Fazer

formerly Anakin StarRider
Reaction score
Visit site
A couple of rednecks pulled beside me today in a "hopped-up" C4 Corvette sporting Cragar S/S wheels (Why did they have antique Cragars on a wedge-nose 'vette? I don't know, they're rednecks). Anyway, they were revving their unmuffled Cross-Fire injected engine like they wanted a piece of the 600 Fazer today! Stop laughing, yes, they were really that stupid! They took off using all 200 horsepower (I don't know if they were trying to "peel out" or not but I don't think that car was capable). After I stopped laughing, I clicked into 1st gear & quickly caught up. I felt a little sorry for them, so I paused when I got beside them give the driver a chance to clunkily catch 4th gear. He looked like he was actually trying to outrun me! I shook my head, gave him a little friendly wave & promptly put him into my rear-view mirror. The 'vette soon became a very small speck. I wonder what happened to them? :)

GTPAddict

Just a dude with an FZ6
Reaction score
theblattners.com
LOL,, That's funny. My daily driver (other then the FZ6) is a 1998 Grand Prix GTP that runs high 12's - low 13's in the 1/4. I was feeling especially frisky one night after spanking a modified Cobra Mustang when I pulled up to a red light next to a motorcycle (not sure what kind, it was a bigger (liter) sport bike). When the light changed I took off hard, not really trying to race him, just taking off hard. After about 3-4 seconds, he came shooting past like I had put the car in reverse. If ever I needed a reality check on the power of my car, that was it! It was great!

mrphotoman

Massive Member
Reaction score
Visit site
LOL,, That's funny. My daily driver (other then the FZ6) is a 1998 Grand Prix GTP that runs high 12's - low 13's in the 1/4. I was feeling especially frisky one night after spanking a modified Cobra Mustang when I pulled up to a red light next to a motorcycle (not sure what kind, it was a bigger (liter) sport bike). When the light changed I took off hard, not really trying to race him, just taking off hard. After about 3-4 seconds, he came shooting past like I had put the car in reverse. If ever I needed a reality check on the power of my car, that was it! It was great!

Mustangs suck but running 12's-13's (how did you come up with those numbers? been to the track or just make them up?) should not spank a cobra unless it is one of the older 90's model that are exceptionally slow. running 13's is really not all that quick at all.

REO Scorpio

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Mustangs suck but running 12's-13's (how did you come up with those numbers? been to the track or just make them up?) should not spank a cobra unless it is one of the older 90's model that are exceptionally slow. running 13's is really not all that quick at all.

Most Cobras run 1/4 mile in that 12-13 range, some at 14 (the mid '90s ones that you referred to).

So while not "spanking" in terms of numbers, if you have some wannabe in a cobra who doesn't know how to run, there'd be a long list of cars that could spank it.

:)

Way back in the day there was a rich kid at my high school with a ~'96 Cobra that I'm pretty sure I could have taken with my '90 Mazda MPV. Hearing him shift was like nails on a chalkboard.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

Darth Fazer

Reaction score
Visit site
My daily driver (other then the FZ6) is a 1998 Grand Prix GTP that runs high 12's - low 13's in the 1/4.

How DID you get a GTP to run that fast? With the stock supercharged 3.8L V-6 it puts out about 240 hp (I worked in the service department of a Buick dealership for 12 years, same platform & engine as a Regal GS). Decent for a FWD pushrod GM of the era, but not extraordinary. You must have modified it somehow, I was just not aware of any serious tuner kits for the GM W-bodies or VIN "1" engines.

mrphotoman

Massive Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Most Cobras run 1/4 mile in that 12-13 range, some at 14 (the mid '90s ones that you referred to).

So while not "spanking" in terms of numbers, if you have some wannabe in a cobra who doesn't know how to run, there'd be a long list of cars that could spank it.

:)

Way back in the day there was a rich kid at my high school with a ~'96 Cobra that I'm pretty sure I could have taken with my '90 Mazda MPV. Hearing him shift was like nails on a chalkboard.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

he said modified, and i said unless it was a 90's. you can get sub 12's out of the newer ones one very easy. i do not care for them at all though.

GTPAddict

Just a dude with an FZ6
Reaction score
theblattners.com
I'm not saying my car is super quick, didn't mean to imply that. Hell, it's a 3700 pound front wheel drive V6, but it runs good for what it is. The mustangs are pretty quick until they hit 3rd gear, after that they kinda peter out. Again, I'm not talking about drag cars either. The mid 90's cobras were running high 13's to low 14's stock. Check this out...

Documented 1/4 mile times (Camaro-Mustang) - Mustang-Town

but running 12's-13's (how did you come up with those numbers? been to the track or just make them up?)

Here's a run at Silver Dollar Raceway in full street trim (regular street tires, no weight reduction) before I put the ported heads on my car...

MySilverDollarCityRun_Nov2007.wmv - YouTube

pookamatic

Reaction score
Visit site
PSA for car owners: Your car is (probably) not faster than an FZ.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MuHbbjKs9zs"]Porsche vs FZ1 - YouTube[/ame]

A bit apples and oranges but ya get the point. Here's one a little more evenly matched but again, not really.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIXISdElisI"]02 Camaro SS vs 07 Yamaha FZ6 0-100 mph - YouTube[/ame]

** Not condoning this type of behavior. Just sayin...

GTPAddict

Just a dude with an FZ6
Reaction score
theblattners.com
How DID you get a GTP to run that fast? With the stock supercharged 3.8L V-6 it puts out about 240 hp (I worked in the service department of a Buick dealership for 12 years, same platform & engine as a Regal GS). Decent for a FWD pushrod GM of the era, but not extraordinary. You must have modified it somehow, I was just not aware of any serious tuner kits for the GM W-bodies or VIN "1" engines.

LOL, come to ClubGP! Not real active there anymore, but I did write some tuning software that's used by most. My screen name there is GTP addidt as well. I have an HPTuner and a DHP PowrTuner (dedicated 96-04 GM V6 tuner), but use my software for most PCM modifications. As far as the times, the really fast GPs are either innercooled or turbo'd. I never had the intention of going that far with mine, just wanted a little more kick.

If your intersted in the V6 tuner software, look up 'Tiny Tuner', and 'Table Modifier' and either 'Eddie' or 'GTPAddict'

Edit - here's my car...

http://theblattners.com/ourcars/eddiesgtp.html

Last edited:

Darth Fazer

Reaction score
Visit site
LOL, come to ClubGP! Not real active there anymore, but I did write some tuning software that's used by most. My screen name there is GTP addidt as well. I have an HPTuner and a DHP PowrTuner (dedicated 96-04 GM V6 tuner), but use my software for most PCM modifications. As far as the times, the really fast GPs are either innercooled or turbo'd. I never had the intention of going that far with mine, just wanted a little more kick

I'd LOVE to see what you could do with a Grand National, T-Type (RWD) or Turbo T/A (late 80's ones, NOT sucky 70's ones)! Or even better, a Cyclone or Typhoon! :rockon: GM will rule once again!

D

Dave.TX

I'd LOVE to see what you could do with a Grand National, T-Type (RWD) or Turbo T/A (late 80's ones, NOT sucky 70's ones)! Or even better, a Cyclone or Typhoon! :rockon: GM will rule once again!

I used to be a big GM fan but since the government is refusing to sell back their share of GM to keep their control I won't buy anything from them.

The FZ6 is a quick little bike! The FZ1 ain't a slouch to a Porsche for someone that doesn't know how to drive it but it wasn't a GT2 or GT3 either. Apparently the top speed of my bike is around 165mph, I've had it 20 below that and it still wanted to go but I didn't.

As far as the old crossfire Corvettes, they were a one year anomaly if I remember correctly. They progressed to the L98 or whatever it was, TPI. My brother had an 86 Corvette with the 4+4 transmission... said he was having fun out in the desert with a couple of other Corvettes and when he got to 130mph he didn't want to go any faster. At the time the CHP 5.0 Mustangs would do about 150mph. I think the LT1 Corvette was the first 300hp motor since the early 70's. My memory is failing me and I'm too tired to look it up so I'll just throw some B.S. out there.

According to GPS my FZ6 top speed was 131mph with stock gearing (speedo said 140 but those things are off). My Beemer speedo is pretty spot on from what I can tell. It's heavier but also has more power than the FZ6. I don't think it's any quicker just has more top speed. Doesn't do as well putting around in city traffic, needs to open up on open roads and it really shines there.

Blackberryleftovers193.jpg

Blackberryleftovers194.jpg

Saw this GN in El Cajon, CA, back in July 2010.

Last edited by a moderator:

Darth Fazer

Reaction score
Visit site
As far as the old crossfire Corvettes, they were a one year anomaly if I remember correctly. They progressed to the L98 or whatever it was, TPI.

Saw this GN in El Cajon, CA, back in July 2010.

Actually, I believe the infamous CrossFire Injection system was offered for 2 model years in the Corvette; '82 & '84 (of course there was no '83 'vette, except one "token car" in the Boling Green museum) & you're right; they quickly realized that was not the direction they wanted to go. The tacky 'vette that "tried" :rolleyes: to race me probably wasn't a CrossFire model, it was just worn out & as slow as one.
Beautiful pic of a G/N! I was lucky enough to drive one while working at a Buick dealer several years ago. We had one tech who was old enough to have worked on them when they were new & he really knew how to tune them! We had customers bringing them from all over to get Jim to adjust the wastegates, install larger intercoolers & turbos and delete the stupid emissions crap.

zackeeboy

Reaction score
Visit site
An old friend of my familys had a Grand National that was his drag car. This car was his life. The last time I saw him and the car (at a car show quite a few years ago with my brother because he was rocking his souped up WRX STI) the GN was over 1,000 HP. He wheelied it once coming off of the line up at the drag strip. Car was ridiculous

CanadianFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
A couple of rednecks pulled beside me today in a "hopped-up" C4 Corvette sporting Cragar S/S wheels (Why did they have antique Cragars on a wedge-nose 'vette? I don't know, they're rednecks). Anyway, they were revving their unmuffled Cross-Fire injected engine like they wanted a piece of the 600 Fazer today! Stop laughing, yes, they were really that stupid! They took off using all 200 horsepower (I don't know if they were trying to "peel out" or not but I don't think that car was capable). After I stopped laughing, I clicked into 1st gear & quickly caught up. I felt a little sorry for them, so I paused when I got beside them give the driver a chance to clunkily catch 4th gear. He looked like he was actually trying to outrun me! I shook my head, gave him a little friendly wave & promptly put him into my rear-view mirror. The 'vette soon became a very small speck. I wonder what happened to them? :)

Maybe they're laughing at you 'cause they got you to bite and you fell for it...:BLAA:

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
While we're on the topic of the past;
I had this for 24years. 73 Gran Torino Sport, 4spd, posi 3.50, 351Clevo layin down 375hp. . . God I miss that car. . . 13.5 on street tires.

IMG_6332.jpg

D

Dave.TX

Actually, I believe the infamous CrossFire Injection system was offered for 2 model years in the Corvette; '82 & '84 (of course there was no '83 'vette, except one "token car" in the Boling Green museum) & you're right; they quickly realized that was not the direction they wanted to go. The tacky 'vette that "tried" :rolleyes: to race me probably wasn't a CrossFire model, it was just worn out & as slow as one.
Beautiful pic of a G/N!

I've been to the museum in Bowling Green, cool place, and yes saw the one-off '83 Corvette. For body style the '82 was different than '84 but you're right in that they both had Crossfire Injection (as did a few Camaro's). TBI, not TPI.

I remember all the flak the Mustang guys got for getting spanked by a 6 cylinder Buick. The Camaro's were'nt any better than the Mustangs back in the 80's. The turbo 6 Buicks were a real gem, one of the few highlights of the 80's for "muscle cars". I wish I had an '87 GNX parked in my garage, those are very rare.

D

Dave.TX

While we're on the topic of the past;
I had this for 24years. 73 Gran Torino Sport, 4spd, posi 3.50, 351Clevo layin down 375hp. . . God I miss that car. . . 13.5 on street tires.

Not a "striped tomato" but close! That thing looks like a land barge. After 1972 emission restrictions and size started getting out of hand, neutering everything on the road. Remember the Mustang II? Was it just a Pinto in disguise? Didn't matter, Charlies Angels drove one and it was cool...

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Not a "striped tomato" but close! That thing looks like a land barge. After 1972 emission restrictions and size started getting out of hand, neutering everything on the road. Remember the Mustang II? Was it just a Pinto in disguise? Didn't matter, Charlies Angels drove one and it was cool...

Lets not talk about S&H that was a coupe of later vintage. These were only made for 2 years. But yes - land yacht @ 4300lbs it took torque to accelerate it.