• No

Votes: 64 23.2%

• Total voters

Brackson

Touring Member
Reaction score
Visit site
6QmyLh9.jpg

Roughly a 40 MPH slide, and this was the only significant damage to the low side. Mirror, turn signal, and bar end had small scratches, but no damage at all to frame, engine, or tank on the low side.

High side damage totaled the bike, but the frame slider couldn't prevent that.

Last edited:

Cortez

Reaction score
Visit site
Well, I dropped my bike yesterday (on a slope, in neutral, on sidestand - it rolled forward), (short) crash bung took the bulk of it, slight scratch on the crank case, slight scratch on the mirror - I recommend them!

Yep.
And I recommend parking uphill and ALWAYS in gear. :)

Seriously, tho, why park i neutral?
I never did that in 7 years of owning a bike.

Even downhill it's not a problem but I manually roll the bike until it locks itself
into place, then I know it won't roll downhill.

JeffSez59

Reaction score
Visit site
Following a good friend and good rider on his brand new Street Triple, hit gravel on a curve. He went down, so did I. About a 40 MPH low-side. Neither of us hurt as we both were in full gear, but his bike was totaled. Shattered engine cases, tank, bars, exhaust, wheels, frame all scratched up. My 2005 FZ had a cracked plastic side cover, scratched bar end, and a scraped up frame slider. Sanded and painted the bar end, replaced the $89.00 cover, kept the scraped slider. I'd say the 80 bucks were worth it.

89$!!! My brand new side cover only cost 30$!!!! Lol oh well

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk

Cortez

Reaction score
Visit site
I don't think I paid over $60-70 for all axle and frame sliders, all from links
in this (or some other) thread.

512FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Frame sliders

I just bought a pair of carbon fiber Delrin sliders to replace the cracked sliders that were already on the bike. They're made of a high tensile plastic. Cost around $20 on Ebay.
Did I just waste $20?? Most of you are talking about sliders in the $40-$80 range....

MattR302

Awesomeness, Inc.
Reaction score
Visit site
Re: Frame sliders

Last fall I lowsided my FZ6 at the track, and the left side frame slider (don't know the brand) took a lot of the damage. Still had some scuffing on the upper fairing mole, and a little bit on the stator cover, but the bike was still rideable the rest of the day. Without the slider, I would assume the stator cover would've taken more of the slide.
13549662244_5cd38978e3_b.jpg

This year, I replaced them both with Woodcraft's, from Moto-Heaven on ebay.
Yamaha FZ6 FZ 6 Fazer 2004 Frame Sliders Framesliders | eBay

cenoxodus7

Reaction score
Visit site
I just recently low-sided my FZ at about 40MPH, here is the damage. Notice the left frame slider compared to the right, Even after sliding about 80 yards The slider only ground off about .125 inch.

20141109_210440_zpssoxrnept.jpg

20141109_210450_zpslt4pzd5s.jpg

20141109_210500_zpsfb3tevvl.jpg

20141109_210402_zpsl9x2dwau.jpg

20141109_210414_zpsyq8vrln4.jpg

I was able to get up and ride away, I have a feeling that without these I wouldn't of been able to. I will always have frame sliders on my bike after i have seen how much damage they prevented.

Last edited:

sheltiedave

Reaction score
Visit site
In the first picture .The frame slider looks to have a bend in it , I take it that's what meant to happen by the bolt taking the damage and bending ?

Did the threads into the engine survive and any damage to the frame around that area ?

FZSexy

Reaction score
Visit site
i have dropped the FZ three times since getting it several months ago. i ride daily so it was to be expected, at least once. it is also my first "big bike," outweighing my previous scooters by a good 200lbs

first drop was sand at the side of a road. my fault, and did not take into account the HP going to the rear wheel

second time was at a stop sign. can't say what happened, bike just fell. these first two drops were within the first 6 weeks of owning the bike

third time was a around a month ago in the carport turning the bike around. funny because the now installed frame sliders were in the mail

each time the bike fell flat and one out of the three times was on the kickstand side. the clutch cover caught some scratches on that side, the cam chain cover (if that is what it is?) on the other. i am not sure if the frame even made contact as it seemed untouched. the bike did seem to fall flat but i think its wide engine and placing of its engine components keep the frame and other areas a bit off the ground, perhaps? i just used a small amount of touch up paint on the scrapes and its good as new

glad i have the sliders, though. now at least when i pick the bike up it will be that much closer to upright!! :D

Last edited:

cenoxodus7

Reaction score
Visit site
In the first picture .The frame slider looks to have a bend in it , I take it that's what meant to happen by the bolt taking the damage and bending ?

Did the threads into the engine survive and any damage to the frame around that area ?
Yes, The bolt itself was bent, but only to where it meets the frame. The threads on the engine were perfectly ok and there was no other damage to the frame around the area.
My frame was still straight as a arrow:)

sheltiedave

Reaction score
Visit site
Yes, The bolt itself was bent, but only to where it meets the frame. The threads on the engine were perfectly ok and there was no other damage to the frame around the area.
My frame was still straight as a arrow:)

:thumbup:

I've been undecided about fitting frame sliders to my bike , worried about the weight of the bike being on one area of the engine/frame when laid over .

But good to see yourself and your bike were ok after the crash and the sliders prevented more damage .

cmantis

Reaction score
Visit site
I just 'checked' my frame sliders tonight. They still work. Very minor scratch to fairing, clutch and engine case but would have been much worse.

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry to hear about "an off" but glad your ok and have a positive outlook about it

my iPhone post using Tapatalk - sorry for any shpillong mishtooks i has fat fingies

Taz3

Reaction score
Visit site
Update: Ordered Shogun front axle slider spools and Woodcraft frame sliders from Revzilla, Givi engine guards from Twisted Throttle, Driven D3 bar ends (and grips) from Revzilla, and Motovation frame sliders from their website.

Motovation sent me the wrong length axle at first, but sent a replacement right away, they fit well and look good, work well as spools, haven't tried them out as sliders.

Same with the Shogun spools/sliders.

Woodcraft sliders didn't arrive until after I had installed the Givi engine guards, and I realised I need a longer bolt as they affix on the the same points... but they look gorgeous out of the box and you order the attachment and the slider puck separately, so you can choose your colour, and only need to replace the puck after a crash.

Givi engine guard is fantastic, but can't have my belly fairing on without modding it (which I am trying to find someone to help me with). Also makes oil changes longer since one of the bars blocks the drain bolt.

Driven D3 bar ends don't really look like they'd double as sliders very well, as advertised, and they are MUCH lighter than the stock bar ends. Just pulled my bike apart and cut off the old grips, so haven't ridden with either yet. Bar ends are also supposed to be a universal fit for 5/8" bar, but my stock bar seems to have a threaded insert inside of it that will not work with this bar end... was thinking of changing up the controls anyway, so maybe a new bar is in order...

Love@FirstRide

Reaction score
Visit site
Update: Ordered Shogun front axle slider spools and Woodcraft frame sliders from Revzilla, Givi engine guards from Twisted Throttle, Driven D3 bar ends (and grips) from Revzilla, and Motovation frame sliders from their website.

Motovation sent me the wrong length axle at first, but sent a replacement right away, they fit well and look good, work well as spools, haven't tried them out as sliders.

Same with the Shogun spools/sliders.

Woodcraft sliders didn't arrive until after I had installed the Givi engine guards, and I realised I need a longer bolt as they affix on the the same points... but they look gorgeous out of the box and you order the attachment and the slider puck separately, so you can choose your colour, and only need to replace the puck after a crash.

Givi engine guard is fantastic, but can't have my belly fairing on without modding it (which I am trying to find someone to help me with). Also makes oil changes longer since one of the bars blocks the drain bolt.

Driven D3 bar ends don't really look like they'd double as sliders very well, as advertised, and they are MUCH lighter than the stock bar ends. Just pulled my bike apart and cut off the old grips, so haven't ridden with either yet. Bar ends are also supposed to be a universal fit for 5/8" bar, but my stock bar seems to have a threaded insert inside of it that will not work with this bar end... was thinking of changing up the controls anyway, so maybe a new bar is in order...

Hey the givi bars i'm looking at for the fz6 Givi Engine Guard Crashbar Set TN358 Yamaha FZ6 600 Fazer S2 | eBay do not have a hole where a longer bolt would be able to add frame sliders. Do you have a different set of givi engine gaurds?

Taz3

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey the givi bars i'm looking at for the fz6 Givi Engine Guard Crashbar Set TN358 Yamaha FZ6 600 Fazer S2 | eBay do not have a hole where a longer bolt would be able to add frame sliders. Do you have a different set of givi engine gaurds?

Looks pretty much the same from the picture. The one from A Vicious Cycle/Twisted Throttle Canada is the one I ordered.

I'm not sure what you mean they don't have a hole where a longer bolt will work... this part bolts onto the bike, at the front on one side where the engine mount bolt is. It comes with a longer bolt to replace the OEM engine mount bolt, to accommodate the extra length needed for the guard. But if you want to add a frame slider to that same engine mount, you need a bolt long enough to accommodate both the guard and the slider. Does that help?

vinmansbrew

Reaction score
Visit site
My bike came with them. They apparently worked on a very low speed tip as the PO scraped some off the left side slider and the edge of the fairing. That said, I likely wouldn't put them on. I prefer a full crash guard. if possible. It is known for sliders to catch and rip out causing extensive damage, even on low speed slides. A good 3 point engine guard may bend, but thats about it.

My cb I got from a guy that got tossed 1 night and crashed it. The guard was bent and scratched like hell, but all i had to replace was a signal light and fix the fairing edge a bit. They are commonly referred to as case guards and they are available for the fz.

But the big thing to remember is that every crash is different.

Last edited: