• No

Votes: 64 23.2%

• Total voters

Gelvatron

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
pros saves fairings frame and riders...

cons could cause frame damage- if this is your outcome you were going so fast that frame damage was inevitable.... why is this your argument, is their anything else that would would change your mind. seems like you already made up your mind before you asked the question.....

rumblestrip

Coffee Drinker
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'd put it like this way....my clumsy @$$ dropped the bike last week just pulling up at my house, no good reason. Bar end & frame slider saved it from taking any damage whatsoever. I picked it up, gave it a minute, and it fired right up...no problems (thank you, Yamaha). I'd err on the side of frame sliders, personally, but that's just my preference. :Sport:

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
This thread has me considering the removal of the bumper on my cage cause I ain't bumped nothing in a long time. Lol

Baci

Reaction score
Visit site
Isnt there a debate on extended sliders actually being worse for your frame? With the logic being longer sliders could create more leverage and potentially snap or damage your frame?

I would love to hear from anyone that has the extended sliders and had their bike go down.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Good and inexpensive don't really go together when it comes to frame sliders.
Very cheap ones will just bend in half and the engine casing and fairing will still ground, I have had this experience with cheap ebay sliders. Also if they do not have decent metal fittings the Delrin just compresses and you cant torque them up.
I then brought some Puig sliders which were very robust ( and expensive) and after a 30 mph slide on gravel did a great job with no damage.
I have replaced these with a middle of the road brand wich have also performed brilliantly in a few flop and drops.

Good luck

Neil

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Isnt there a debate on extended sliders actually being worse for your frame? With the logic being longer sliders could create more leverage and potentially snap or damage your frame?

I would love to hear from anyone that has the extended sliders and had their bike go down.
As far as I can remember there have been two or three frame failures with extended sliders since I joined in 2009. There have also been a handful of frame failures with the Yamaha sliders.

Nelly

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The dealer installed Motovation on my bike. They also do axle sliders for the FZ as well, but I haven't installed those.
I thought axle sliders were just a gimmick, I got some for the bike as a bit of bling.
When I came off on gravel they worked really well in conjunction with the frame sliders keeping all the expensive parts off the floor.
One off the potential issues with the sliders is that they can sometimes prevent the engine cutout switch from tripping. I had this issue a few years ago, I have subsequently checked the switch out and it is not faulty.

Cortez

Reaction score
Visit site
Good and inexpensive don't really go together when it comes to frame sliders.
Very cheap ones will just bend in half and the engine casing and fairing will still ground, I have had this experience with cheap ebay sliders. Also if they do not have decent metal fittings the Delrin just compresses and you cant torque them up.
I then brought some Puig sliders which were very robust ( and expensive) and after a 30 mph slide on gravel did a great job with no damage.
I have replaced these with a middle of the road brand wich have also performed brilliantly in a few flop and drops.

Good luck

Neil

Sliders aside.. maybe you should work on your riding skills with so many
drops.. :confused:

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Sliders aside.. maybe you should work on your riding skills with so many
drops.. :confused:
We can all improve our skills with riding practice, I have had only one drop on the public highway related to gravel, which I am sure you will agree can cause problems for any rider.
I have had one drop when trying to bump start the bike with a flat battery I am very short and it is fairly difficult to run in full gear.
One drop when my left foot couldn't touch the ground. I think the important thing is to recognise that flop and drops do happen and it's prudent to take measures to reduce the risk of this. Hopefully other members can learn something from my experience.
Nelly:thumbup:

Ruggybuggy

Reaction score
Visit site
I bought a pair of these:

Extended-4-0-Yamaha-FZ6-2004-2008-No-Cut-Frame-Sliders-

They're inexpensive and look okay. Do they work? Haven't been tested yet by me, but they seem to be well constructed. And they provide a leg rest for me on long touring adventures. The included bolts are the correct length and are also of good quality. No thread stripping to speak of.

I'm not sure why they stop at model year 2008 for fitment ...Did something change in '09?

Sorry bud but those are crap. A good quality frame slider is going to have a metal insert so they can be torque to the proper spec. Cheap one can't be torqued down to the proper spec and they will pop off the bolt on a slide.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry bud but those are crap. A good quality frame slider is going to have a metal insert so they can be torque to the proper spec. Cheap one can't be torqued down to the proper spec and they will pop off the bolt on a slide.
I would have to agree with you, they look very inferior to a slider with proper metal collars.

Nelly

iviyth0s

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I think they are a great idea but never really thought about them until they came with my FZ.

Not sure who made em but these are mine (looks like one already had a little use, and there's no other damage on that side so I'm even more of a believer)

oaks

~~~~~
Reaction score
Visit site
Last edited:

Helvete

Reaction score
Visit site
Skidded my bike down the road at a few mph the other week, apart from a random dent in the fuel tank, hardly a scratch on the bike.

Carlos840

Reaction score
Visit site
do they even make swingarm sliders for fz6? wasn't able to find any

I got swingarm, front axle and frame sliders...

Probably a bit overkill but i thought i'd rather have them and not need them than the opposite!

The frame sliders are R&G racing aero sliders and the other ones are from JSR racing designs.
They are cheap on eBay but are very well made (made in the UK) and look like they would do the job!

Yamaha FZ6 Fazer S2 Fork Crash Protectors 2007 - 2009 / sliders bobbins | eBay

Yamaha FZ6 Fazer S2 Swingarm crash protectors 07 - 09 | eBay

7UPyours

Reaction score
Visit site

Cortez

Reaction score
Visit site
I got swingarm, front axle and frame sliders...

Probably a bit overkill but i thought i'd rather have them and not need them than the opposite!

The frame sliders are R&G racing aero sliders and the other ones are from JSR racing designs.
They are cheap on eBay but are very well made (made in the UK) and look like they would do the job!

Yamaha FZ6 Fazer S2 Fork Crash Protectors 2007 - 2009 / sliders bobbins | eBay

Yamaha FZ6 Fazer S2 Swingarm crash protectors 07 - 09 | eBay

I just ordered those, thanks for the links!
They're rather cheap but it's probably better then not having anything.

Carlos840

Reaction score
Visit site
Glad i could help!

Honestly considering the price i was not expecting much but once you have them in hand they really feel and look well made.
They fit perfectly in each hole they are meant to, with no play at all and i am pretty sure they would do their job if need be.
I don't see how the R&G or the Motovation ones can do the job better and they are worth more than double the price of these!

Last edited: