First "real" bike

Love@FirstRide

Reaction score
Visit site
Alright guys I'm new here I've read so much on here i feel like i know some of you.

Plenty of dirt bike experience here up to 400ccs havnt taken or passed my test yet I've driven my friends fz6 ( after a few stalls..) and fell in love instantly.

This was during my cross county drive to Colorado during a stop in gainsville, point being i cant test drive it again lol. I didn't really even drive the bike past 9000 RPMS.. (maybe to 10 once.. on the oh **** ride) so i know theres plenty to be discovered
I've seen some good 07's for 35-4000 under 10k miles few upgrades

Here's the only problem.. Just started reading about the fz7.. The money isnt a problem if im going to be happy with the bike and keep it for a while. I did notice the lack of low end torque on the fz6 but the top end just scared the **** out of me lol.

Here's the main question As a first bike which would be better? i know I'm probably going to accidentally drop her or just something... dont wana lose all the value on a new compared to used

Plus i want to spend a lot on good gear so i'll take all recommendations in that department

I'm leaning towards the fz6 still because my friends have super sports CBR and R1 so i dont wana be left behind in the horsepower department with the fz7 having 25 less and nearly 35-50 behind my friends

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Alright guys I'm new here I've read so much on here i feel like i know some of you.

Plenty of dirt bike experience here up to 400ccs havnt taken or passed my test yet I've driven my friends fz6 ( after a few stalls..) and fell in love instantly. If you have plenty of dirt experiance, especially with bikes up to 400cc, you should be fine..

This was during my cross county drive to Colorado during a stop in gainsville, point being i cant test drive it again lol. I didn't really even drive the bike past 9000 RPMS.. (maybe to 10 once.. on the oh **** ride) so i know theres plenty to be discovered
I've seen some good 07's for 35-4000 under 10k miles few upgrades

Here's the only problem.. Just started reading about the fz7.. The money isnt a problem if im going to be happy with the bike and keep it for a while. I did notice the lack of low end torque on the fz6 but the top end just scared the **** out of me lol.

Here's the main question As a first bike which would be better? After 2009, the HP dropped significantly, I would stick with a bike earlir than that. 2007-2007 were some brake/gauge, etc upgrades((ie 07-09, IMO is what I would look for) i know I'm probably going to accidentally drop her or just something... dont wana lose all the value on a new compared to used Either faired bike, if you drop it halfways hard, the plastic, mainstay(support) will be damaged. Again, you have plenty of dirt experiance, the road is somewhat different, a little dirt on a smooth road can be dangerous

Plus i want to spend a lot on good gear so i'll take all recommendations in that department

I'm leaning towards the fz6 still because my friends have super sports CBR and R1 so i dont wana be left behind in the horsepower department with the fz7 having 25 less and nearly 35-50 behind my friends

The FZ6, especially with after market pipes does fine and IMO, you won't be smoked once you learn how to ride it to the max. You'll also be MUCH more comfortable and will last much longer on rides NOT doing a constant "push up". If you want MORE aceleration, gear it down some and you won't be able to keep the front wheel on the ground. :)

I would keep away from an R1, R6, etc, as for the new STREET rider, their not as forgiving as the FZ6. The FZ1 will also flat get it with a comfy seating position(much more like what your used to).

Last edited:

kenh

Ride Like Your Invisible!
Premium Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome: To the Forum

+1^^^
I also started in the dirt and while your experience is invaluable, street riding in today's environment demands much more concentration to stay safe and enjoy your ride. After all, that's what it's all about right? I would not wait to take the MSF course, since they usually provide you with a motorcycle and the instruction is very beneficial. Besides, you will have opportunity to witness the outcome of the do's and don'ts, like grabbing too much front brake while the wheel is turned.
Good quality gear cannot be over emphasized. It will make you feel more comfortable on rides.
The FZ6 is my first "street bike" and I don't regret it for a moment. Sure there are times when i wish it had a little more grunt, but I love the sound from the inline four, especially in the 8 to 10k range.
Good Luck :thumbup:

FZ09Bandit

�� Paramedic ��
Reaction score
Visit site
The 7 would ride your front wheel up with the torque. The 6 is like a rocket. Both could be used a first bikes without issue if you're easy on the throttle. I like to think of myself as a pretty decent rider, but even at 260lbs cannot keep the front end if my 9 down in 1st gear A-mode. People harp on dirt experience like its a requirement. It's a good thing, but really just helps your balance.

Either which way you go you will be fine. I would be curious to see how the two fare of against eatchother on a 1/4 mile. I haven't looked at the numbers, but I bet they are close.

Love@FirstRide

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks guys i appreciate it.

I was leaning towards the fz6 still but just wanted some extra approval =P

this is the one I'm going to see next weekend i think its a great deal with the extra plastic under for engine gaurd and its sexy...

2007 Yamaha FZ6 Fazer 600 cc Sport Motorcycle 9000 miles

Any advice on good helmets would be most appreciated im about to just get the c3 because its the only one without a bad review lol.... but for 750.. no bluetooth.. damn. lol

2nd childhood

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The bike you posted looks okay but seems a tad high priced to me, especially this time of year. As for a helmet, I used to have a Scorpion EXO-900, which was okay, but recently upgraded to a Shoei Qwest and LOVE it! It does tend to fog up more than the Scorpion, so I bought a pinlock setup for it and have no problems with fogging now. I don't use a Bluetooth, so dunno if it supports that or not, sorry. Oh, and welcome to a great motorcycle forum. :welcome:

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I went from an EXO-1000 to the C3 (got mine on sale for $600, at a BMW dealership of all places) but I'll probably go back to the EXO next time, the Schuberth has great airflow but is noisy and fogs up compared to the EXO (and the pinlock shield had so much glare at night it was a safety issue for me).
Plus, everybody's noggin is different, try as many as you can to see what's the most comfortable, they all have to meet minimum impact requirements.

Welcome, and enjoy! :welcome:

Love@FirstRide

Reaction score
Visit site
I heard the C3 also passes the aussies safety standards that are more demanding, I havn't looked into many brands so i don't know at what price point or brands use the different standards.

So far i'm 90% sure i want heated grips

I know i want an 07-09 from the fuel issues

Last edited:

2old2ride

Reaction score
Visit site
I heard the C3 also passes the aussies safety standards that are more demanding, I havn't looked into many brands so i don't know at what price point or brands use the different standards.

So far i'm 90% sure i want heated grips

I know i want an 07-09 from the fuel issues

If you still want heated grips come June, let me know. I REALLY like the FJ-09. At least in theory. My FZ-6 is 10 years old and while I do keep it in good condition, it is 10 years old. The FZ-6 is a 'budget bike' and wasn't meant to last forever. I would have bought a FZ-09 for the weight but the no cowl turned me off.
I exect the FJ to weigh more but there looks to be 20 pounds of plastic to take off. Those hand warmers have to be the fuglyist things ever strapped bolted or glued on a motorcycle. So they go as soon as I get home from the dealer. Even before I put on Frame Sliders.:thumbup:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
If the bike was maintained and the mods done "correctly", it looks like a pretty good deal to me...

Depending on your mechanical ability/familiarity with bikes(dirt or otherwise), give it a good "going over" listening for odd sounds, checking the chain, checking any maintainance records, etc.

If prices are dropping now with winter coming, sounds like its time to buy. With a fairly new battery, a tender will help over the winter months..

ctbandit

Fazer, don't even know er
Reaction score
Visit site

Few things about this statement. As a new rider, you shouldn't be trying to keep up anyway. RIDE YOUR OWN RIDE. Trying to keep up is a recipe for disaster.
Secondly, unless your ripping down the highway, rider ability is going to be your limiting facor. Top end or horsepower won't be the issue.

If you don't mind dropping your new bike, I hear the fz07 is supposed to be pretty sweet. I say if you don't mind, because it's very likely that you drop your first bike. Probably on something benign as stopping on a slick spot.

I normally wouldn't recommend a 600 as a first bike, but with dirt bike experience and the fact that the fz6 is so tame down low in the rev range, it can be a decent starter.

There are some really good deals to be had on used fz6s out there. Save the extra money and put that towards some decent gear (jacket, helmet, gloves, boots) instead of the fz7.:thumbup:

Love@FirstRide

Reaction score
Visit site
Few things about this statement. As a new rider, you shouldn't be trying to keep up anyway. RIDE YOUR OWN RIDE. Trying to keep up is a recipe for disaster

i think i was unclear, i mean, long term i dont want to be left behind once i get really good at riding just because of the bikes power but with a 150 top speed im not concerned with the f6 more the f7 not having the 100+ track ability.

I'm trying to get a bike i can see myself happy with for the next couple years. I can see a few road trips including a camp ground or two but 99.999%street. A bike i can ride in town but during the weekend take a cruise or hit the track after the hour cruise. =P

living in a pretty small town, Montrose CO south of Grand Junction, i really dont want to call attention to myself with anything loud so the quite stock exhaust sounds like a plus. Any spirited riding would be done out of town. The fz6 seems to be exactly what i want.

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm trying to get a bike i can see myself happy with for the next couple years. I can see a few road trips including a camp ground or two but 99.999%street. A bike i can ride in town but during the weekend take a cruise or hit the track after the hour cruise. =P

living in a pretty small town, Montrose CO south of Grand Junction, i really dont want to call attention to myself with anything loud so the quite stock exhaust sounds like a plus. Any spirited riding would be done out of town. The fz6 seems to be exactly what i want.

I sold my FJR (too hot-1st gen), 04 Goldwing (too many issues, too big) and my old KLR (engine rebuilds every 32,000 miles) and have ONLY my FZ which I am very, very happy with.. Pretty much bullet proof with some regular maintainance, great fuel economy, fairly easy to work on.

IMO, its not just a beginners bike, you can mod it to do whatever you want..

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Scott, every time I see your sled I get a terrible. Awe of pipe envy! Those headers are gorgeous! Please tell me youRe a photoshop whiz. I got mine looking about half as good last year but just can't keep them looking like that. You do your bike and this forum proud! Now I gotta go get the drill and the buffing pad out. Ugh! [emoji1]

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Scott, every time I see your sled I get a terrible. Awe of pipe envy! Those headers are gorgeous! Please tell me youRe a photoshop whiz. I got mine looking about half as good last year but just can't keep them looking like that. You do your bike and this forum proud! Now I gotta go get the drill and the buffing pad out. Ugh! [emoji1]

Thank you and no, the pic is NOT Photochopped/pic modified, etc..

The fender extender helps a bit too...

The bike isn't a commuter and I try to avoid the rain.

Maybe once, every 2-3 months, I do them again but that won't take 45 minutes.

Once the heavy stuff is off originally, keeping them up isn't half as bad. I've NEVER used anything but polish on them, no super fine sand paper, steel wool, etc..

The last pic, when I got the bike, did indeed have nasty headers(the pic was taken whe I was replacing the fairing/stay, tank, etc) but you can see how nasty the header was...

The header before polishing/ bike apart for repairs;

Slopeflyer

Reaction score
Visit site
Let me start off by saying I am 6'2" and 230 lbs. I had the opportunity to ride the fz07. My brother purchase one a couple months back. On a long trip we swapped bikes. First thing I noticed comparing the two was it is a small bike. When your going through the twisty and hitting long stretches of straight highway I felt there was not enough bike in front of me. Holding on to the handlebars the front end just drops off. To me the suspension on fz6 is better, at times hitting rough patches on the road the front kind of felt a Little pogo stick effect. Compairing the engine and torque the fz07 has the feeling of a large CC four stroke engine. The fz6 I own feels like the old two stroke when the powerband kicks in. When you get to the 8 to 10k rpm range this thing is a rocket. I like having a little more bike out in front of me. I feel the fz07 is for someone 5'9" and shorter that wants to be in the twisties all the time. Where the fz6 can do both twisties and Cruise down the country road and site see. Hope this helps. If you go with the fz6 spend some of that saved money and a better seat you butt will thank you. Scott your pipes are sick!!!

Slopeflyer

Reaction score
Visit site
One more thing the fz07 is very light witch makes it easy to toss around... It also gets tossed around easy in the wind. Just one more thing to consider.

Scott did I mention the pipes are SICK!!!! Wow

Dry Martini

Reaction score
Visit site
I would take the FZ6 over the FZ07. The FZ07 has more displacement, a little more torque, not enough fun. I also am not a fan of flat torque response. I find it rather boring.

This space intentionally left blank.

thisisbenji

Reaction score
Visit site

I would imagine the FZ7 would keep up just fine on the street. I typically ride only 30-45mph advised curvy roads with my friends, they're all on supersports and I'm on a FZ6. I don't think I'v ever needed to use the full 90hp of the FZ6 to keep up.

That being said I don't think I'd get a FZ7 over the FZ6 especially once you factor in the used vs new pricing.