foxhounddown

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello, new here! Thought that this would be the best place to ask. I'm considering buying a 2004 FZ6 because I like the look, the EFI, all that.

Anyways, my question is what are some things I should look for in an FZ6? Are there any common failures in this model? I'm handy with a wrench and know enough about motorcycles to check out the obvious things when I go shopping but I figured I'd check out some potential areas of concern with the FZ6 before I go out craigslist shopping. Thanks!

OZXJR

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Do you have one in mind ?
Whats the mileage like ?
Probably the most common problem with the early models was the throttle position sensor, check that that has been done :thumbup:
The FZ6 is a great bike, I had two .
Oh and :welcome:

foxhounddown

Reaction score
Visit site
Do you have one in mind ?
Whats the mileage like ?
Probably the most common problem with the early models was the throttle position sensor, check that that has been done :thumbup:
The FZ6 is a great bike, I had two .
Oh and :welcome:

I've been looking at a few in the area. I live in the SF bay area so there are quite a few options. Prices are anywhere from 2500 to 4000. Might be inflated because prices here for bikes seem to be inflated since theres riding year round. Some have higher mileage (~40000-50000) which I honestly don't mind. I know that maintenance is key.

Here's an example of one that stood out:

Last edited by a moderator:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
That bike looks very sweet and a very good deal...

The bigest thing to pay attention to the Cam Chain Tensioner(RS of engine). If you hear chain slop on that side, I'd be looking at replacing that(about $100.00), maybe a cam chain.

Also, the valves (clearances) should have at least been checked at approx 26,600 miles and again, after another 26,600 (due again). Can they document that's been done(and the specific #'s what they found?). This ISN'T a deal breaker and checking them isn't too bad. Adjusting, obviously a bit more involved.

And lastly, the FZ has a VERY loosely adjusted DRIVE chain. It should be about 2" total up and down at the mid point of the chain, (on the center stand at its tightest point, it does get tighter once on the ground). If its super tight, not good for the output shaft bearing, rear sprocket carrier bearing, etc..

Last edited:

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
Other things to watch out for:

TPS (throttle position sensor). There was a recall on them in 2004. See if the previous owner has record of it being fixed.

Steering head bearings. Probably not an issue because it's dry in CA but at that mileage I would place the bike on center stand, have someone weight down the rear end so the front tire is in the air. Grab the front forks low near the axle and pull forward and push back and see if you feel any play or knocking. Should be zero play with good head bearings.

Otherwise these are very solid bikes that seem to want to run forever if maintained.

2007Z6ALL-LED

Reaction score
Visit site
I would rather buy 2007 model than the 2006! there had been changes in the year of 2007 model, so if you can, get, look for 2007, 2008 model!

Beside, buying the used bikes have lot things to be aware of, if the mileage is low like 10k-15k, it's ok to do some visible check of anything can be seen, riding test, listen to the sounds of the engine..if possible, look a bike almost has all the stock with some acceptable light mods (i.e riser bar, HID, LED..). If the bike is like 40K/50K miles...better bring someone good in mechanics with you and ask for maintenance docs specially valve adjustment, stators' working condition, waterpump..etc

Those are my opinion as I learned when buying the used bike otherwise go with your instinct, luck

Good luck for your purchase!

SandyN

Reaction score
Visit site
Just from the look of this bike I would say that the owner took good care of it. I also doubt that it has worked hard as it seems to have been used as a tourer (seat, extra pegs forward, cases); a good buy.

foxhounddown

Reaction score
Visit site
Am I looking at a good deal? (2004 FZ6)

Hey guys, I'm new here and I asked a question about the FZ6 in general on the main forum the other day.

Anyways, I'm looking at a 2004 FZ6 in San Francisco, CA and it's being sold for 2,000 firm. It has 20,000 miles and some damage but looks to be in good shape otherwise. Needs new tires. I'd be more than happy to post the advertisement but I wasn't sure if that was prohibited or not. Thank you. I've barely delved into reading more up on the fz6 so I'd rather know from an informed crowd what the going price is around.

Last edited by a moderator:

ChanceCoats123

Reaction score
Visit site
Re: Am I looking at a good deal? (2004 FZ6)

20k miles is before the first real important maintenance interval when the valve check is done, so I wouldn't have many worries about the engine unless I heard odd noises. When you say it has some damage, what parts are damaged? We should be able to advise you better if we know a little more, but I paid a good deal more for my 2004 FZ6, so $2k sounds like a steal to me.:thumbup:

foxhounddown

Reaction score
Visit site

Correction, it's at 26,000 miles. Seller told me that the valve train is quiet which worries me a little. I've always heard that a quiet valve train is more to worry about than a louder one. Anyways, it has a crack and road rash on the headlight fairing and a little road rash and a crack on the tail fairing. Also includes a givi rack apparently and it's a clean title. Owner says its never been crashed, just dropped on its sides from being parked in the city. Looks believable as the road rash is more scruff-like rather than horizontal gouges.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Since this is about the same subject and mentioning the same listing again, the thread has been merged.

There's not much we can really tell you from pictures. If the bike has some damage I think I'd rather pay an extra grand for a bike that's relatively clean.
Actually there's no way I could tell you what you're getting other than my own personal experience.

You can't find a Honda Ruckus that cheap and the FZ6 is a great bike for the dollar. If you're patient you'll find a seller here or elsewhere with a better deal. At 20,000 on the clock,(as mentioned) valves are due for check/adjustment about an oil change away. Don't forget other possible deferred maintenance items that may have to be done regardless. On average I think you can find a cleaner FZ6 for a few more bucks and also have a higher resale at less loss than a banged up bike for $2k If your a wrencher then you'll go look at it a have a better idea if it's for you but if not get someone who knows bikes to go look at a bike anyway. The other thing you might do is check to make sure the bike is clear on title and anything DMV might have have against an unaccountable seller. Someone here even got a bike from a dealer where there is now legal issue with title etc.

Yes, we do have a rule about specific listings that are stated in the forum marketing rules. http://www.600riders.com/forum/site-announcements/2807-forum-rules.html
Anyone can sign up and get big traffic from here to look at their listing. :)

foxhounddown

Reaction score
Visit site
Since this is about the same subject and mentioning the same listing again, the thread has been merged.

There's not much we can really tell you from pictures. If the bike has some damage I think I'd rather pay an extra grand for a bike that's relatively clean.
Actually there's no way I could tell you what you're getting other than my own personal experience.

You can't find a Honda Ruckus that cheap and the FZ6 is a great bike for the dollar. If you're patient you'll find a seller here or elsewhere with a better deal. At 20,000 on the clock,(as mentioned) valves are due for check/adjustment about an oil change away. Don't forget other possible deferred maintenance items that may have to be done regardless. On average I think you can find a cleaner FZ6 for a few more bucks and also have a higher resale at less loss than a banged up bike for $2k If your a wrencher then you'll go look at it a have a better idea if it's for you but if not get someone who knows bikes to go look at a bike anyway. The other thing you might do is check to make sure the bike is clear on title and anything DMV might have have against an unaccountable seller. Someone here even got a bike from a dealer where there is now legal issue with title etc.

Yes, we do have a rule about specific listings that are stated in the forum marketing rules. http://www.600riders.com/forum/site-announcements/2807-forum-rules.html
Anyone can sign up and get big traffic from here to look at their listing. :)

Awesome thanks. I've had a gs500 that I've taken apart and while it's a simpler machine I think I'd be comfortable wrenching on an FZ6. I'll just have to get well acquainted with EFI first haha. The seller is established on a regional forum so I'm fairly confident the title and those issues aren't going to be a problem but I'll make sure to look into them. Thanks for the link to the rules, I had not seen them earlier.

azbiza

Reaction score
Visit site
As a general subjective (without any technical knowledge) opinion regarding FZ6, i can say that it is a very good bike.

I bought one last year, make year is 2004, type rj074, naked version, and I'm absolutely in love with it.

It is quite comfortable to commute on, and had a few longer rides as well,
no discomfort at all. Al thou, i cant really imagine it as a touring bike.
I'm 179 tall, and 94 kg, and it fits me in size.

Hope this is usefully to you.

Last edited:

foxhounddown

Reaction score
Visit site
As a general subjective (without any technical knowledge) opinion regarding FZ6, i can say that it is a very good bike.

I bought one last year, make year is 2004, type rj074, naked version, and I'm absolutely in love with it.

It is quite comfortable to commute on, and had a few longer rides as well,
no discomfort at all. Al thou, i cant really imagine it as a touring bike.
I'm 179 tall, and 94 kg, and it fist me in size.

Hope this is usefully to you.

Ahh, I'm a lot shorter. I'm 5' 3" (about 162cm) but I went to check it out and I must have a normal length inseam because I felt quite comfortable with the stock height. Wasn't much different than the GS500 that I have.

azbiza

Reaction score
Visit site
Ahh, I'm a lot shorter. I'm 5' 3" (about 162cm) but I went to check it out and I must have a normal length inseam because I felt quite comfortable with the stock height. Wasn't much different than the GS500 that I have.

I am not surprised, i know a local, who is about your height, and rides one as well, had a little chat wight him back when i was deciding to buy or not, and he had no complaints at all.

In my opinion the engineers have designed this bike to satisfy in comfort a wide range of biker (regarding height).

Yamaha's engines are quite good, i have read that some don't like how the clutch operates thou, but i don't see any issues with it. At the end of the day, with used bikes it all comes down to proper maintenance, and you can see that just by looking and listening to its engine.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

Correction, it's at 26,000 miles. Seller told me that the valve train is quiet which worries me a little. I've always heard that a quiet valve train is more to worry about than a louder one. Anyways, it has a crack and road rash on the headlight fairing and a little road rash and a crack on the tail fairing. Also includes a givi rack apparently and it's a clean title. Owner says its never been crashed, just dropped on its sides from being parked in the city. Looks believable as the road rash is more scruff-like rather than horizontal gouges.

The damage, how you've explained is, is similar to what I had when I bought mine.. Likely close to $1,300 in parts alone..

My 07 had 4,500 miles (wrecked some), and I paid $2,100 with a brand new rear tire included, not mounted.

As noted above, if you want the bike back to good to excellent condition, count on spending a bit more on parts (plus labor if your not wrenching on it).

For the year/miles and work that needs to be done, I suspect you can do better looking around some..

Some before and after pic's;

Last edited:

foxhounddown

Reaction score
Visit site
Decided to pull the trigger and got it. This picture probably doesn't give an accurate assessment of any of the damage but you can see the crack in the headlight fairing. Anyways for $2000, the location, and the cost of other fz6 on craigslist, I thought it was a good deal. Seller included a givi rack as well.

Here ya go: Imgur