Advice on Buying a Used 2004 FZ6

cjb600

Reaction score
Visit site
I am looking at buying a used 2004 FZ6. I took the bike for a short test drive and when accelerating, heard some rattling or clunking noises. I could not tell where they were coming from. It is hard to describe but the noise would speed up when accelerating and slow down when braking. It seems like it might be a chain or sprocket or wheel noise. Are there any other common things I could check? The bike is priced right so I don't mind putting some money into it. Thanks!

Last edited:

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
For starters, verify that your bike has gone through the TPS (Throttle Position Sensor) recall. The noise that you are hearing does not sound normal. Check that the chain is tight and aligned.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
It's a little hard to give advice on this when we can't hear what the noise is. If the bike has transmission problems and It's not just a case of chain and sprocket replacement. It may be less economically feasible to repair. Can you record the noise and upload to youtube?

cjb600

Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry I haven't replied to this post yet. The owner of the bike is out of town and I haven't been able to look at it again. I should know more by next Wednesday. Thanks for your advice! I hope it is only a chain/sprocket issue.

ozgurakman

Özgür Akman
Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry I haven't replied to this post yet. The owner of the bike is out of town and I haven't been able to look at it again. I should know more by next Wednesday. Thanks for your advice! I hope it is only a chain/sprocket issue.

was the sound noticable when revving the bike on neutral? is sound depends with engine revs or bike speed?

cjb600

Reaction score
Visit site
was the sound noticable when revving the bike on neutral? is sound depends with engine revs or bike speed?

I only noticed the sound when I was test riding the bike and the sound seemed to increase in speed as the bikes speed increased. When the bike was in neutral, I couldn't hear any weird noises from the engine.

cjb600

Reaction score
Visit site
Well I ended up buying the bike. I think I got a good deal, I paid $1400 for 2004 model. I checked it over and found that the sound was most likely from a previous owner doing some airbox mod. There are holes drilled in the air box cover to give it a more throaty sound when accelerating. Anyways, it had a really bad naked conversion done to it, so I ordered a headlight kit from dev_usc. It looks great and runs good now. I will post some pics soon.

cjb600

Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry I haven't updated for a while. I finally got a chance to do some much needed maintenance on the 2004 FZ6 I bought. Changed oil, spark plugs, brake fluid, coolant-all were needed! When I was doing the throttle body sync, I found the air box was not fully seated on the throttle bodies. That was the noise I was hearing. Glad I found it finally!