FZ6 Wont Start

NOLA

Reaction score
Visit site
Relay is fine. Burned up Diode will be the cause....

OP - any history on this bike?

I have nothing on it unfortunately, I bought it on Craigslist, had to jump through titling hoops and everything but it's all finally sorted, and didn't hit the wallet too bad. It was owned by one older guy since 2004, then two younger guys sold and bought it within 6 months without ever registering it, so I had to deal with the title jumping they did. Now it's all finally legal, I can clean it up and bring it back to life. Apparently none of them owned a bucket and a sponge :rolleyes:

20180213_083120.jpg

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I put it in the mail today, it will be coming USPS. I'll PM you tracking afterwhile whenever I get home from work.

---Jeff

Wow! It got here fast! PM me the shipping cost. Thank you!

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I opened the unit and there was an unusual amount of dirt film and moisture inside. Almost as if it were submerged and then drained at some time. I will try to test the relays first when I get more time...

It also smells musty inside so I would say moisture was what did it in. Was this bike ever submerged in water? I mean I know it gets humid in Mississippi but this has a film Inside like it was in muddy water...?

I had to wipe it off to reveal components....

Sent from Moto's Motorola

Attachments

• IMG_20180225_165013734.jpg
    IMG_20180225_165013734.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Also look at the different circuit board from the picture that [MENTION=15974]FinalImpact[/MENTION] posted. I imagine one unit was used by the earlier S1 FZ6 and they changed the circuit board in the later S2 version.

The Omron relays in the unit I opened have 9vdc coils where FinalImpact's picture shows Omrons with 12 vdc coils.

attachment.php

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I opened the unit and there was an unusual amount of dirt film and moisture inside. Almost as if it were submerged and then drained at some time. I will try to test the relays first when I get more time...

It also smells musty inside so I would say moisture was what did it in. Was this bike ever submerged in water? I mean I know it gets humid in Mississippi but this has a film Inside like it was in muddy water...?

I had to wipe it off to reveal components....

Sent from Moto's Motorola

Damn, that is looking like it got swamped a time or too! Sure is a lot of debris in there.

I wander if any of the rest of the bike was subject to this??? Or maybe its off a different bike?

You recall the gauge cluster I repaired for a member? It was full of cQckroach poo and when moisture was added via cracks it became an acidic nasty eating the copper PCBA and eroding the solder joints. It was a mess inside!

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, I wonder if this part is from a part-out and purchased through ebay, or is this a swamp bike. Hey NOLA, it might be worth disassembling some other items on this bike to see if its a water/flood recovery or is just using some parts from a flooded bike. Knowing about the title issue you had...and that it's got a swamped enclosed electrical part on it, you may want to try to figure out the service history of this bike before you start to invest in a number of replacement parts.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
^^^ +100

If this were mine I would be unplugging every connector on it looking at the mating pins for discoloration, plating being etched away by organic growth, burns, opens....

Clean all with soup and water, then MAF cleaner, apply dielectric grease to pins and assemble.

You don't want to give this bike an oppertunity to put you at risk from a stall or lighting issue.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Damn, that is looking like it got swamped a time or too! Sure is a lot of debris in there.

I wander if any of the rest of the bike was subject to this??? Or maybe its off a different bike?

You recall the gauge cluster I repaired for a member? It was full of cQckroach poo and when moisture was added via cracks it became an acidic nasty eating the copper PCBA and eroding the solder joints. It was a mess inside!

Yeah, I wonder if this part is from a part-out and purchased through ebay, or is this a swamp bike. Hey NOLA, it might be worth disassembling some other items on this bike to see if its a water/flood recovery or is just using some parts from a flooded bike. Knowing about the title issue you had...and that it's got a swamped enclosed electrical part on it, you may want to try to figure out the service history of this bike before you start to invest in a number of replacement parts.

^^^ +100

If this were mine I would be unplugging every connector on it looking at the mating pins for discoloration, plating being etched away by organic growth, burns, opens....

Clean all with soup and water, then MAF cleaner, apply dielectric grease to pins and assemble.

You don't want to give this bike an oppertunity to put you at risk from a stall or lighting issue.

I totally agree. Inspect the ECU plug and clean 1st. The ECU may even have been replaced first. This could possibly been a salvage bike. There is just no way for the Starter cut-off relay assembly to have this much gunk in it without it having been submerged. There was dirty water that left a film inside and there are no holes in the unit. Maybe the bike was on it's side in water for a while? I can see water damage on the pins inside the unit and it's not from the rain/weather.
When I wiped the relays inside the unit with my finger, my finger was wet. This unit should have been bone dry. Take your time, inspect and clean as needed.

Last edited: