FZ6 Wont Start

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
There is a unit called the "starter circuit cut off relay" It has the relay that passes current to the fuel pump as well allowing the starter circuit to operate. Chances are that if the starter is operational then the fuel pump relay should also be passing current. There are 2 relays in that circuit that are interrupted if the safety logic has been compromised via the side stand, clutch safety switch and the neutral switch.
Just for chitzengiggles....Put the bike in neutral, you should see the neutral light on the dash. put the side stand up, pull in the clutch lever and turn the key to on. Do you get the fuel pump prime? If not, there is a fuse that feeds the fuel injectors and fuel pump relay input. See this link. #6 on the fuse block diagram is the fuel injection fuse. It is a 10 amp fuse. Check it to see if it is blown. If it is blown there is a good chance current went high at the fuel pump and it may need service/replacement. https://www.manualslib.com/manual/659495/Yamaha-Fz6.html?page=77

This.....
Verify safety interlocks are being met.
Specifically the Side Stand.
Go into Diagnostics and when on the ## for gear and side stand, you'll see them toggle from off to on vice vs.
Tech section has sticky by me.
Brake bleeding, battery charging, Diagnostic info... Look there it will give you the diag setting to be on to perform the test.

http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-...uel-pump-battery-charging-brake-bleeding.html

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
A few things you can also look at: Understanding that the ECU must tell the fuel pump and fuel injection to run(same relay), regardless whether you've checked the fuse, check the solid red wire at the plug at the starter cut off relay assembly. This wire should show 12 vdc at all times, even with the key in the off position. At the same plug assembly there is a blue w/ yellow tracer wire. This wire should be at 0 vdc when the key is turned on. This wire is the control wire from the ECU that controls fuel pump relay coil. It should go to zero volts. If not then the ECU may be missing a sensor reading. For example if it were missing the crank Shaft Position sensor signal it will shut down the fuel injection. You would also see a #12 error code.
If you see the blue w/ yellow trace go to 0 vdc and you see +12vdc at the red wire and the red w/ black tracer wire. you probably have burned fuel pump/ fuel injection relay contacts or a bad internal path in the starter cut off relay assembly.

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Yes, critters, vandalism, theft, and well, damaged wires from the ignition switch can kill the safety relay at the back of the bike.

That said on a working FZ, key on action powers the pump for a few seconds and terminates it if there is no movement from the crank. It then turns on the pump when the CPS signal is detected. Hence, bump or push starting the bike spins the CPS turning the pump on with no interaction from the start switch.

It is wise to note if the tach needle climbs when cranking.

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Please confirm....
20 : Side stand switch - displays ON or OFF. Retracted = ON, Extended = OFF
21 : Neutral gear switch - displays ON or OFF. Neutral = ON, In Gear = OFF

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
In reference to post 23: The plug assembly you should find connected to the starter cut off relay assembly has a 16 wire plug. The schematic shows 13 wires connected to the assembly itself. The wires you would test are at that plug.

NOLA

Reaction score
Visit site
GOOD NEWS GUYS, THE BIKE LIVES!!!!!!!!!

Changed out the large relay under the left rear pod and it primed and fired right up. Thank you guys for all of the input and testing procedures and information. I feel like I will be here often, this is a great community.

Relay.PNG

Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
GOOD NEWS GUYS, THE BIKE LIVES!!!!!!!!!

Changed out the large relay under the left rear pod and it primed and fired right up. Thank you guys for all of the input and testing procedures and information. I feel like I will be here often, this is a great community.

View attachment 68741

Great news!

NOLA

Reaction score
Visit site
As soon as I get back home, I will cut it open and post some pictures! We'll see what the hell happened. I'm just glad it was a 40$ part and not the $600 fuel pump.

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Relay is fine. Burned up Diode will be the cause....

OP - any history on this bike? Throw down her life history as that diode only burns up for a few reasons.... PS it may not be obvious until a meter is placed across it.

Thanks...

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Also that is the "starter circuit cut off relay" assembly we've been discussing trouble shooting. I've been wanting to dissect one of these to see if it is a serviceable.
It consists of 10 diodes, 1 which is a zener diode. 1 resister and 2 relays.

I was wondering if this was a trouble shoot to this unit or was it a swap to see if it was the culprit...