cdi dead in yamaha fz6 fazer S2 (europe model)

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Its not a mistake and don't apologize. Your frustrated and should be.

Just know, there's probably more knowledge here on this forum than easily in your Yamaha shop.

The down side is, we can't physically examine, touch/test, etc, the bike as you or the shop can which is frustrating on both ends...

I've personally had horrible experiences at several dealerships (while under warranty) and eventually found the fix on a forum...

Hang in there, we'll get it going...

Do you have the shop manual for your S2 to check the fuel pressure per the manual? It may be holding steady and correct at lower engine speeds, but when its acting up, the pressure should be checked THEN.

And as Final Impact stated, that pump filter has to be intact. If there's ANY sized hole in it, crap gets in there and clogs the injectors. On the Yamaha FI'ed boats engines, they have a built in 10 micron filter. Most folks also add another transom mounted filter/water separator (also 10 microns). Even with that and several other filters thru out the system, particles smaller than 10 microns get thru and CLOG up injectors.

ANY BREACH in your pump filter won't cut it. Wether you can find a housing with a burnt pump and use your pump and their filter or get a another pump here or new, may be an option. Member Scooter65 was parting out a bike or check the F/S section, etc...

Last edited:

DruGus

(non) ClockWorking Fazer
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks friend.

Although my current bad feelings

I don't want to bother or abuse even though i only ask for everything. .... not seem to be a good deal in this forum. .... i couldn't promise less than keep playing my (weaks) knowledge when i solve this.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

DruGus

(non) ClockWorking Fazer
Reaction score
Visit site
Well. It's very cheap price & product seems to be well built but problem it's me [emoji24] I saw no way to separate plastic surrounding pump... plastic seems to be glued over pump......has someone changed it or does anybody share a link to develop how to DIY ?

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Im not saying buy this one, i am saying there are many on there. Regardless of pump sucking rocks, a hole in the filter causes cavitation and limits the pumps ability to deliver the designed pressure and volume.
Do you have a good filter or not?
Sample;Fuel Pump Intank Fits Yamaha FZ6 FZ6R for 2007 2010 | eBay

Does the filter come off the stock pump?

I gather this IS the aftermarket replacement pump/filter for our bikes?

DruGus

(non) ClockWorking Fazer
Reaction score
Visit site
Sure it is but currently don't know if i could extract oem pump to change by this other

Z3R0_zhift

Reaction score
Visit site
This is the first time I see the stomach of the beast for the S2 model. I suggest if you manage to get your bike up and running. Try record the sound if possible at different angles and on the road. Wish I could help a fellow S2. Does the idling died out of the blue or it gets erratic at first before it died? Perhaps bring the pump over to the mech to service it and change the necessary things.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

DruGus

(non) ClockWorking Fazer
Reaction score
Visit site
I think must be erratic before. But also other noticiable thing is if my S2 unit smells too much for fuel.

Look, I don't use to smell anything by sinusitis but when gets worse i go to hospital and they give something that get my nose back to the game for months . So now don't know if bike smells or problem is that I'm not accommodate.

I checked fuel pressure when bike started to stay in two cylinders
In that days pressure gauge doesn't move about 2,56 bars (almost normal, in fact this operation was executed by second workshop that i visited).

I'm not able to check these things, because i haven't necessary tools for it. I have called for a second visit to check again.

Thinking as I told about if no trouble in FI Fuel then need to watch AIS valve and related to Air Feed

DruGus

(non) ClockWorking Fazer
Reaction score
Visit site
Well. We have a modal in Spanish language as it follows "de coraje" that means to do something even is a waste of time. So i buyed four new sparks and drive to times like a crap today. My Gizmo Issue has not appeared yet. But i don't feel optimistic. Today my little daughter is suffering for ear pain what a good night for yesterday) and i had a poor interview for ISE2 English Certificate.

I have commute in bike to try.

Back in two hours to write.

Sorry. It seems my blog.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I have not held pump in hand but yes, OEM install does not want filter coming off or leaking so it may have glue mating the filter to the pump.

Its moot point if you dont have a filter and if you order a pump it comes with a filter.
The question is; is there a need to epoxy the new filter on?

It has no where to fall off once assembled.

Order the pump & filter. Install new spark plugs. Verify plug lead to cap body. The wire should not spin freely in the cap. If it does, it needs. Repaired which easy.

DruGus

(non) ClockWorking Fazer
Reaction score
Visit site
This was really my final impact !

So I'm going to think about this while i resume all symptoms :

Trouble

* power loss more over 5.000 range

One cylinder is off then a second
If stop and turn key engine normal

* previous cdi fail > repaired
* reliably affected coil & regulator
(also replaced)
* new sparks didn't fix.

Pending Checks :
Fuel Pump
Plug Sparks (thks F.Impact)
(AIS) Air induced System

No news until Tuesday

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
There is nothing the AIS can do to impact driveability. IT CAN drastically impact exhaust temperature on bikes with catylists.

Fuel pressure/volume could directly impact 5k up performance. Knowing you have holey sock on fuel pump makes me suspect fuel volume & pressure, not to mention debris could be obstructing injector(s).

Now add in bad history of ignition issues and you have a need to solve an item and leaving NO Doubt that the fuel system works as its intended too.

You must obtain a pressure gauge and fix the hole (sock) and verify it has 36psi AND the fuel injectors spray equal amounts. Assuming anything works 100% is a not a good idea and good cause engine damage if a cylinder is not getting fuel!

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
There is nothing the AIS can do to impact driveability. IT CAN drastically impact exhaust temperature on bikes with catylists.

Fuel pressure/volume could directly impact 5k up performance. Knowing you have holey sock on fuel pump makes me suspect fuel volume & pressure are low, not to mention debris could be obstructing injector(s).

Now add in bad history of ignition issues and you have a need to solve at least one fault leaving NO Doubt that the fuel system works as its intended too.

You must obtain a pressure gauge and fix the hole (sock) and verify it has 36psi AND the fuel injectors spray equal amounts. Assuming anything works 100% is a not a good idea as it could cause engine damage if a cylinder is not getting fuel!

Last edited:

DruGus

(non) ClockWorking Fazer
Reaction score
Visit site
You must obtain a pressure gauge and fix the hole (sock) and verify it has 36psi AND the fuel injectors spray equal amounts. Assuming anything works 100% is a not a good idea and good cause engine damage if a cylinder is not getting fuel!

(Certainly I agree in this)

I must wait next Tuesday for this, I talked in a workshop and pay cost of this testings.

By the way, I started to check all wires sockets and found some strange thing about side stand connector : Number #20 of Diag Mode enable a test of this item, so it is written on
worshop manual if sidestand is collected makes appear ON in LCD screen, otherwise you´ll see OFF also if you remove sidestand connector.

Well. I start engine and change neutral gear by other with sidestand in use and engine stops ( this is Ok and expected ) but unexpected in DIAG MODE #20 , LCD always shows ´ON´
wherever I do with sidestand or switch connector wire under fuel tank ( blue-gray / black-gray in my case, do not trust usa models has same wiring colour )

Is it ordinary ? Other issue for my glory list ?

Also Checking spark plug for cylinders #2 #3 , one is over 9,36 K.ohms , and other is 9,94 K.ohms , by earlier attempts, i have other used plugs, I ckeck if some of them are above these values , and two gave me upper digit, so I have removed and waiting for a chance to ride.

Last edited:

payneib

Reaction score
Visit site
No dash lights on UK bikes for the side stand either, don't know about indication in diagnostic mode though.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

DruGus

(non) ClockWorking Fazer
Reaction score
Visit site
Hahahaha seemed a full eggs pain. Well. Time to ride. Going to the city

DruGus

(non) ClockWorking Fazer
Reaction score
Visit site
Unfortunately when engine is down (likely this morning again ) doesn't appear any warning or later error code.

Aside this. I will post photo of side stand diag.

I asked for someone could check in his own fazer at spanish forum but other consultations weren't answered before ( maybe this time will be):thumbup: