cdi dead in yamaha fz6 fazer S2 (europe model)

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't think its the red kill switch, BUT just a visual inspection without opening up and seeing the actual electrical contacts doesn't count.(and won't tell you anything).

You can simply just jump those two connectors right there (while its open) and see if that helps..

Z3R0_zhift

Reaction score
Visit site
Wow, preserve m8. I'm sure there's a solution for you. I know how it how exactly it feels. I admire ya spirit.

DruGus

(non) ClockWorking Fazer
Reaction score
Visit site
Thks for your hopes .... We just looking all wires and switches that we could, close to a electrical schema. Everything looks fine, except for engine relay (don´t know if that his name)

This relay is at the left side cover, close to blink relay, blink and tail wires. (Yamaha 5VK819503000 Relay Assembly)

By fz6 repair book this relay must have continous in each and not in others and when we check it hasn´t like book says it has to.

I found at amazon and i´m going to order for replace, but also cdi/ecu it´s dead.

Has anyone send cdi to repair to Carmo ? I would like to try my last chance ........ has repair any warranty ?

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
IDK about the warranty, I would think it'd be on their site. That or e-mail/call....

Doing a re-flash, I believe they can also adjust some of the perimeters of the ECU to your preference as well.

DruGus

(non) ClockWorking Fazer
Reaction score
Visit site
Finally founded technnical asistance in city of my own country (spain). It has good quotes from a burning sparks forum of andalusian racing rookies (send last friday)

Also today outgoing new rectifier and engine relay from boats usa.

Harder to wait

<tapatalk mode on galaxy S3>

Slavo

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello everyone!

I am fighting exactly the same problem as DruGus on my Yamaha FZ6 S2 2008 (I guess it is some kind of mistake directly from YAMAHA plant)

Also happened on highway-> in service they said CDI is dead (two spark plugs doesn’t give a spark) -> I have bought original CDI from YAMAHA with set of keys and everything (for way too much money)-> Service has installed them-> first ride was without problem, but at second ride (maybe after 150 km after replacement) same problem as in the beginning..

Now I am getting realy desperate..

DruGus, did you get to fix it? Did new relay helped? I will be very thankful for any help!

Many thanks in Advance!

DruGus

(non) ClockWorking Fazer
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi. In spite of your issue thanks for your reply.

Reading your mp to reply as good as i can.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hello everyone!

I am fighting exactly the same problem as DruGus on my Yamaha FZ6 S2 2008 (I guess it is some kind of mistake directly from YAMAHA plant)

Also happened on highway-> in service they said CDI is dead (two spark plugs doesn’t give a spark) -> I have bought original CDI from YAMAHA with set of keys and everything (for way too much money)-> Service has installed them-> first ride was without problem, but at second ride (maybe after 150 km after replacement) same problem as in the beginning..

Now I am getting realy desperate..

DruGus, did you get to fix it? Did new relay helped? I will be very thankful for any help!

Many thanks in Advance!

I'd bring it back to service. If they diagnosed it and replaced it, someone apparently messed up...

DruGus

(non) ClockWorking Fazer
Reaction score
Visit site
Good night , everybody.

Local time in my basement is 2:15am.

Ok, it seems that Slavo bike and own has step in same issues & troubles.

I´ve walked one more step by sending cdi for repair to McMotronic in Catalonia(Spain) and just received previous day.

It is supossed that ecu is now working fine, ecu repaired is original that was given with factory bike.

I also changed engine relay because OHms values given were incorrect.

I changed Rectifier & Regulator Assy because no one could assure if it was working fine in high temperatures.

Well, by now, I have succesful register a black key with red one, so I can suppose that cdi and electronic lock (immobilizer is not an Usa bike feature)
are well connected ( by moron way second black still unregister)

And the hole thing to conclude, number 34 still appear just turning key :confused:

It remains to fit gasoline tank but prospects are not going to fruition for now.

It´s too late to loud with engine, so after assembling gas tank, I´ll go to bed.

When I wake up will consider if try to rolling on with bike or rolling a rope.

DruGus

(non) ClockWorking Fazer
Reaction score
Visit site
Well , sometimes you must give war a chance.......so I put my balls on the table and pull up.

Polite meaning : I tried to turn on bike for a second and ............ it turned on in first crankshaft twist !!!!

****ING GOOD NEWS AT LEAST !!!

Well, I´m not finished to fix all wires, air box & bolts and still
forehanded by the suggest that both bobbins must be replaced
(technical support advised me this, blamed to ecu fail).

Feeling more optimist , now.

its alive.jpg

DruGus

(non) ClockWorking Fazer
Reaction score
Visit site
Today was third short ride (about 15 miles)
When i was close to my house bike started to fall engine, then 34 error appear again.

I waited five minutes and back home in nornally drive.

Just ordered to change both coils. Still pedestrian mode is selected until next monday (fu***!)

Really worried by this true never ending story (and tired)

DruGus

(non) ClockWorking Fazer
Reaction score
Visit site
New coils finally had arrive in Friday (yesterday), and after change I have covered about 15 milles working perfectly _ !!

( I wish i had time to ride to Outskirts but it´s not possible by now. I only drive between home & work ........ maybe next week )

pd: Anyone is reading ? :ban:

DruGus

(non) ClockWorking Fazer
Reaction score
Visit site
Thks for your reply. But You, or Motogiro or Z3ro are not ordinary readers, your comments drove me out of boulevard of broken fazers

Yes. It seems to be a problem solved and maybe was better while i had no idea but actually I think I now.

Well I'm not completely sure untill a lardge of hundreds mileage but if I'm not wrong all chain of problems was my fault.

Soon i will upload an image and everything i said will be understand.

This is the poor part for me as this issue is not going to help other people. ..... well..... wait for photo....and this mess will clear

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Well, it seems you got it fixed, which is what counts..

It is a bit harder for us in the States as your European FZ is somewhat different with the immobilizer.

I think Motogiro may have the wiring diagram for the European bikes but I'm not sure. Issues on the US FZs are sometimes involved, sometimes not.

That's why its so important to get every piece of information from the Op about EXACTLY whats going with the bike. Nothing unusual
should be ignored. Any new work done recently can also be paramount in helping too!!

I had a weird smell with my bike last week but couldn't find anything (like something cooking on the header).
Well, I found it tonight. I must have bumped off the coolant overflow tank cap at the front of the engine. Yep, the tank was dry.

Every hard turn apparently dumped some out, cooked it on the header and by the time I was stopped, it was burned off. I must have bumped the rubber cap last time I washed it.. The radiator was still full, just had to fill the tank. There was NO higher than usual engine temps either...

payneib

Reaction score
Visit site
I've been reading your thread with interest recently also. My reg/rec died the other day (about two weeks ago now). I replaced it, took the bike for a spin, attempting to make the engine drain the battery at high RPM, nothing, brilliant, all sorted I thought.

The next morning, started her up for work and she was running like a pig. Horrible tractor noises.

So having been reading this thread, I was panicking that the new reg/rec was either faulty or exposed an underlying fault in another electrical component, and something expensive had popped.

So I followed your thread.

After my two day shifts, I get a long night off, which I used to change my sparkplugs. Nothing obvious on the plugs, but some of the HT leads needed tidying up. It seemed to run better. So I thought I'd sorted it.

Going to work for my second night shift it was running really bad, even worse than before. So I was panicking even more thinking the fault was a coil pack, or worse. So my first full day off, I took the tank off, airbox out, pulled the coils out and tested them. As I was testing the second coil pack, I happened to glance at the front of the throttle bodies and saw this:

1505a71dff301cacced342f7d31c9f17.jpg

All that for the sake of £0.50p worth extra rubber hose at the factory. The throttle body test gauge lines were pulled so tight, they'd cut through at the pipe in to the body.

So your thread has helped someone. Even if my problem wasn't related in the end, your thread got me further in to the bike than I've been before, and taught me about testing the ignition system.

Thank-you.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

payneib

Reaction score
Visit site
Great catch, that's a major vacuum leak!!
I was really happy that it was such an easy fix, and glad to have learnt some more about the bike. But having spent £40 on spark plugs in the process of finding the problem, it was really frustrating. The bike shop even gave me new hose for free. How simple would it have been for Yamaha to just, not pull them so tight?

As I found them: 4 was completely off, 3 was half split (I'd fiddled with them, and broken it completely, that's as it stands in that picture), 2 was just being held together by the outer soft grey rubber, and 1 was kinked over, and starting to cut through the black rubber inner section of tube.

The other good news, is that my scottoiler works properly again now.

The bike feels like it needs a TB sync, I'm assuming running so far out of balance has thrown them out generally. It's due one next year anyway, so I'll just move the order around for the "big" service.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Its rare those lines break. Most likely from a PO, mechanic yanking on it honestly...They are rubber and rubber does wear out with age too..

It likely didn't alter your throttle sync, BUT, if you going to pay someone to sync it, it's cheaper to do it yourself and you know its done right. And its NOT hard to do, especially with a professional, no fluid unit....

Here in the states, my FJR cost $125 US back in 2005 and they screwed it up.

I bought the Morgan Cartune when I got the FZ, 2009 (to fine tune out the vibes) and it was cheaper than $100. Its really not hard to do and your way deeper NOW than you need to be to do a simple sync..

Mines paid for itself MANY TIMES over syncing other bikes...

Harleys are a B...ch to sync!!!

DruGus

(non) ClockWorking Fazer
Reaction score
Visit site
It's funny that in second chance to official workshop in Seville they thought about about vacuum rubbers was damaged so they replaced each, although they seemed perfectly.

My surprise when i checked inside because issue persisted, and i founded that each vacuum rubber number was erased as used that bike would have before replaced. (Are you going with me?) Money & Trust wasted 4ever.

I might agree with idea from a kind of my issue could help others. maybe as far as same butterfingered than I (lol)

I also bought morgan carbtune likely Townsends. I founded a well quality, easy to use and accurate product. Probably some skill hands could build a home vacuum but in my case is a good deal even for using every 6000miles.