cdi dead in yamaha fz6 fazer S2 (europe model)

DruGus

(non) ClockWorking Fazer
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi. First of all, i wanna thank everyone who helped me in this thread.

Sorry for the delay in replying (almost a year)

Trouble wasn't resolved, repair service took over 700$ but didn't find anything, they just said 'bike is ok' and 'anything went wrong when we tested'

At least I was called to finish as Quadrophenia end titles, otherwise started a new job and forgot issues for a while. Then, one Sunday, came back home riding and toke last look.

f76eb23caba787a8fc51b7675b8b516d.jpg

Several months was needed to sell most of the items. Crap repair service, crap unfixed issue and now stupid people demanding lower sales despite so lower they are yet.

Fortunately i was patient and now only remains some electrical parts and entire motor.

4a93982c472df22cb60224dc881c249a.jpg
40ff098a0b81502bc269630c254ff984.jpg

So, last summer I earned enough to jump on a new bike, sad for loose my bike, countless hours of maintenance wasn't enough.... Realise only a bike can't win my sanity. So, i bought another [emoji3]

My first 10k!
4601ecffd8a67a265a991f814f4da594.jpg

202a9c1be369e530783d3d093673e419.jpg

Yes, it has a little average torque over fz6 but front pipe is soft or extra weight makes sometimes imprecise. Maybe need a bearing adjustment or steering damper... I hope not 'cause too expensive.

Hope this was friendly reading.

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry to hear that you couldn't fix the problem :( but great to see you're back on the road again :thumbup:
I'm having troubles with my ECU at the moment, it has already been to a service centre to get it "repaired" after causing misfiring, after leaving me stranded a while ago it has totally gone on the blink this week, causing all sorts of wierd codes and even causing my rev counter to work intermittantly and all sorts of warning lights to randomly flash, oh well it's going back to the garage this week but last time they couldn't replicate the symptoms (sometimes it just works fine, for a while).
I've got a test ride lined up this Thursday, on a MT-09 Tracer, not sure I'm sold on it though.
Is that the Z800? nice bike :drool: I sat on a Z1000 last week (my nearest garage is a Kawa dealer) and was pleasantly surprised that the sitting position was more comfortable than I thought it would be, only the seat has less meat on it and it might cause me a numb bum after a while :rolleyes: how are you finding it?
Hows it going selling off your parts, and how much do you expect to get for them?

Anyway have fun and ride safely :rockon:

Last edited:

DruGus

(non) ClockWorking Fazer
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the reply man, well, the poor noticiable thing of z800 is a extremely hard seat, front and rear, but i fixed paying for a new filled on same seat. I felt as starting driving lessons again, for me is so different for driving body positioning more aggressive but i liked that. Well, i started as dummy road turns but soon realised my problem was fork height. I tuned over 4 inch and everything started to be better in turns, also stability is ok over 100milles....far enough for me.

Well, my last sale was a second locks&keys with a broke cdi buyed to replace mine but it crashed in one month. Buyed for 250€ and selled by 50€.....great deal wasn't it? Lol.

I think my problem is to ship overseas because i live in the land lost by Al_Radmhan..... Al_Andalus.

Sorry for a bad joke... But did you watch assassins creed? Was filmed in my city (Seville/Spain)

So, i will offer any replacement to anyone who were sure to need it. I can sell one by one or entire. I can assure for all parts except locks set with cdi and inmovilicer because cdi was repaired at electronic shop in Barcelona..... It's working but who nows if fall again.

Also overseas they don't use same cdi so isn't useful for them and shipping and duties seems to be excessive for buyer best deal.

Let me read harder your trouble if possible I'll be glad to help.

Enviado desde mi ZTE BLADE V7 mediante Tapatalk

DruGus

(non) ClockWorking Fazer
Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry to hear that you couldn't fix the problem :( but great to see you're back on the road again [emoji106]
I'm having troubles with my ECU at the moment, it has already been to a service centre to get it "repaired" after causing misfiring, after leaving me stranded a while ago it has totally gone on the blink this week, causing all sorts of wierd codes and even causing my rev counter to work intermittantly and all sorts of warning lights to randomly flash, oh well it's going back to the garage this week but last time they couldn't replicate the symptoms (sometimes it just works fine, for a while):

Hi Mr. Cloggy, after seriously reading of your post i must notice that fails are similar, finally engine is stopping or working less than four cylinders?

My case is after a few minutes or when bike is running hot, near from starting fan cooler.

Is it also your case?

I'm still warming about underseat place of ecu is too exposed to high temperature also rectifier indeed.

My first activity could be checking specifically ecu wires and clean connections with Wd40 or similar.

Test when is stopping and how long was working and how high (time and kind of place... City/road/traffic jam....)

Test weird engine noises (specifically rotor chain on right engine side)

Sorry if falling in previous steps watched, but don't focus on ecu fail, or electronic issue.

Yamaha Diag sometimes helps and other increase the mistake, anyway check and note fail codes on diag 61/62.

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi Mr. Cloggy, after seriously reading of your post i must notice that fails are similar, finally engine is stopping or working less than four cylinders?

My case is after a few minutes or when bike is running hot, near from starting fan cooler.

Is it also your case?

I'm still warming about underseat place of ecu is too exposed to high temperature also rectifier indeed.

My first activity could be checking specifically ecu wires and clean connections with Wd40 or similar.

Test when is stopping and how long was working and how high (time and kind of place... City/road/traffic jam....)

Test weird engine noises (specifically rotor chain on right engine side)

Sorry if falling in previous steps watched, but don't focus on ecu fail, or electronic issue.

Yamaha Diag sometimes helps and other increase the mistake, anyway check and note fail codes on diag 61/62.

Thanks DruGus, the problem of misfiring was helped when the ECU was "repaired" just over a year ago (now just outside of waranty :( ). I was told that the printed circuit Card which the chip was mounted on was corroded and this was repaired. Now I'm getting all sorts of Ecu fault codes. I'm convinced this has to do with the ECU (partly due to the previous reply). I've contacted Donau, who had an ECU problem many years ago now and he's put me onto an address of a company who might be able to help for getting a reprogrammed chip, which would mean I will only have to change the chip. I've seen one for a pre 2007 model and that costs 200 pounds, but there was no post 2007 mentioned, I'll get in touch with the company shortly and see if they can help.
I'm presently looking for a new or second hand bike, but it would be great if I can get this one working for a bit of money so that I can get a trade in for it.

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well I found a couple of companies (ao: Motomtrix | Reset Motocycle ECU) that can reset CDI's for (euro) FZ6's and then using your red key you can recode it, so you don't have to replace the ignition transmitter and all the other locks (seat, helmet & fuelcap). The big problem now is finding a good second hand one, that doesn't have any damage/corrosion, but it has to be the correct model or it won't work (first check model of your bike on plate under saddle and check part Number in service manual, or on item itself) . The pre 2007 CDI is quite common but the post 2007 is rarer and more difficult to find. Anyway I'm keeping my eye out for a reasonably priced one which has a guarantee with it or is really cheap.

Last edited:

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the reply man, well, the poor noticiable thing of z800 is a extremely hard seat, front and rear, but i fixed paying for a new filled on same seat. I felt as starting driving lessons again, for me is so different for driving body positioning more aggressive but i liked that. Well, i started as dummy road turns but soon realised my problem was fork height. I tuned over 4 inch and everything started to be better in turns, also stability is ok over 100milles....far enough for me.

Well, my last sale was a second locks&keys with a broke cdi buyed to replace mine but it crashed in one month. Buyed for 250€ and selled by 50€.....great deal wasn't it? Lol.

I think my problem is to ship overseas because i live in the land lost by Al_Radmhan..... Al_Andalus.

Sorry for a bad joke... But did you watch assassins creed? Was filmed in my city (Seville/Spain)

So, i will offer any replacement to anyone who were sure to need it. I can sell one by one or entire. I can assure for all parts except locks set with cdi and inmovilicer because cdi was repaired at electronic shop in Barcelona..... It's working but who nows if fall again.

Also overseas they don't use same cdi so isn't useful for them and shipping and duties seems to be excessive for buyer best deal.

Let me read harder your trouble if possible I'll be glad to help.

Do you sill have the CDI for sale or the details of the company who fixed your CDI please.
Neil

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well I found a couple of companies (ao: Motomtrix | Reset Motocycle ECU) that can reset CDI's for (euro) FZ6's and then using your red key you can recode it, so you don't have to replace the ignition transmitter and all the other locks (seat, helmet & fuelcap). The big problem now is finding a good second hand one, that doesn't have any damage/corrosion, but it has to be the correct model or it won't work (first check model of your bike on plate under saddle and check part Number in service manual, or on item itself) . The pre 2007 CDI is quite common but the post 2007 is rarer and more difficult to find. Anyway I'm keeping my eye out for a reasonably priced one which has a guarantee with it or is really cheap.
Hi Martin did you ever resolve this issue?

R33c31231

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi everyone. I have read all post that i found actually but still in dude if could fit american parts
( ENGINE CONTROL UNIT ASSY X 4S88 U49 + MAIN SWITCH STEERING LOCK 5VX-82501-11-00 )

The price of the necesary part in europe ( 4s8 8591 a 0000 and inmovilizer & main switch with red key and two black keys )
is more than double of american parts.

I have checked with two different ignition coil and always bike fail when riding in highway for a while, never inside city.

In first time, error 34 was after a while but soon display permanent when i turn on with the key.

Buyed another cdi & main switch & keys from a outtake crash bike, changed in yamaha local co but in the second ride extracity i´m with the problem again,
and appears error 34 when execute diag on display events. (dial 62: 1error / dial 61:error34)

This is my summary for six months and houndred of money wasted in replacement parts & yamaha repair workshop.

Now, still finally screwed never going to buy used parts again and would like to find accuracy info about if could fix with parts that boats.net are selling.

Anyone could help me with this ??

Will appreciate your comments about.

Thks in advance
Sorry to jump in on someone post, but does any one know it’s a 2007 fz6 ecu and ignition and that will fit on a 2006 fz6? Thanks in advance for any help

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry to jump in on someone post, but does any one know it’s a 2007 fz6 ecu and ignition and that will fit on a 2006 fz6? Thanks in advance for any help
That later S2 2007 has the O2 sensor that the earlier S1 2006 does not use. This means the pin out on the S1 and S2 may be different on the ECU as well as the wiring harness.

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Europe changed model years at different times than North American bikes. According to Wikipedia (the only source I have) EU bikes got an updated fuel injection system to meet EU2 and CARB emissions standards in 2006. This "may" include an O2 sensor (the wiki doesn't say). The article does note that all bikes got an updated FI system in 2007 for a a three-way catalytic converter.

Does your bike have an O2 sensor in the exhaust system? If it does, then the 2007 ECU may work on your bike. If it does not have an O2 sensor, I can say with certainty that the two are not interchangeable.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Some countries list the year of the bike as the year it was registered into service. So yo could have a S1 2006 but if it's register in 2008 it would be listed as a 2008. Another tell is if it's the S2 it will have an aluminum swing arm unless it's been modified.
S1 will have a steel swingarm.
Like Gary said, see if it has the O2 sensor in the exhaust.