• BMC

Votes: 20 8.1%

• Total voters

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
With EU emission laws being so stringent. I have ditched the filter and run without it. Modern cars spew out cleaner air than they breath.:BLAA:

K&N for me, installed purely on a cost basis. Easy to maintain easy to install.

Nelly

Maverick

Reaction score
Visit site
My OEM filter is due for a change this spring. I ended up buying a BMC not because I thought it was better than anything else, but for the convenience of adding a washable filter to my spring ride preparation. I'm sure, if properly cleaned and lubed, this filter will be fine.

smokenu

rubber side down
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
:rof: :rockon::thumbup:

Losing 30lb of weight will get you around 15HP back too... my advice to be faster:
- get on a diet
- improve your skills
:BLAA:

This has got to be the best advise I have ever gotten from this forum...lmao

Where is my treadmill anyway:eek:

gpostarmy

Reaction score
Visit site
If you are looking at changing your exhaust, air filter, add a power commander and having it mapped then from what I understand you will see some result as far as your entire airflow system is concerned along with some HP and fuel efficiency gains. Being that I have not done all of these I cannot say personally. Plan is to do all of this when I get back from deployment as well as upgrade suspension. Most of us don't push our bikes hard enough to notice any difference between an OEM or other air filter anyway. That said it comes down to preference. I have just replaced my OEM filter with K&N. I have found with my car that the ability to clean and re-oil my filter has paid for it self and more over the last few years. The hope is that the little bit of extra cash for the K&N, in the bike, will pay for itself as well in the long run. Side note: MAKE SURE YOU READ THE CLEANING KIT INSTRUCTIONS. This should prevent over oiling of the filter. If you are still worried about it do like MR BUCK suggested and go with a quality filter that you replace like FRAM.

Last edited:

Protaper48

Reaction score
Visit site
:rof: :rockon::thumbup:

Losing 30lb of weight will get you around 15HP back too... my advice to be faster:
- get on a diet
- improve your skills
:BLAA:

I agree with the above statement. speaking from personal experience spent some time doing cardio and some weights and you will notice a huge change in your riding. You be able to go lot faster for lot longer.:BLAA:

paper

Multibike disorder..
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I agree with the above statement. speaking from personal experience spent some time doing cardio and some weights and you will notice a huge change in your riding. You be able to go lot faster for lot longer.:BLAA:

I remember reading an article in Cycle, maybe 20+ years ago.. The guy was talking about the money spent on bike lightening, with custom parts and all the trinkets just to save a few oz..

His reply went something like this..

Skip desert and go take your dog for a walk around the block, Fatty!! :rockon:
Want to loose bike weight? Push yourself back from the table..

In reality, the weight on the bike to lose is UNSPRUNG weight (tires and wheels and brakes, Oh My!!)

Other than that, titanium fasteners are WAY more expensive than not having that second piece of banana creme pie..

As far as taking your dog for a walk, if you can use the weight loss, chances are, so could Fido.. If he's not fat, take him for a walk anyway.. It'll make up for the time you're not around him when you're out on the bike.:D

Randomchaos

Flaming Hot Doughnut
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I will probably end up getting a BMC filter myself. The one I had on my previous fz6 worked well, and gave the intake a bit of a deeper sound.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

killernoodle

Making stuff
Reaction score
Visit site
Air filter or brand means nothing in terms of performance. I buy the K&N air filter because cleaning it is much more convenient for me than replacing it. I buy the K&N oil filters because they have a convenient nut welded to the end so I can use a regular wrench on them if they get stuck. After the struggle getting off the factory oil filter, I've come to realize that its worth the extra couple of bucks for convenience.

red06

Reaction score
Visit site
k&N for me , it does add power , maybe couple hp nothing that would throw you off the bike but the engine will breather better , its an engine mod so it will add something why else would everyone be switching to high flow filters

paper

Multibike disorder..
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
why else would everyone be switching to high flow filters

Because advertisers tell us to do so.. ...

Mine has a BMC, but it's because I found one on eBay for a good price.. I noticed no increase in power over the stock filter.. It fit nicely, though..:D

MrMogensen

... That's me!
Reaction score
Visit site
I just bought a KN air filter... I am pretty sure than when I install it I will be able to feel (maybe even hear) a slight difference even if in reality there is none!

hank

Reaction score
Visit site
i'm habing a hard time finding an actual part number or brand for the stock filter... Does anyone know? I was leaning towards a k&n but don't really want to spend the $ right now to get a powercommander to use it with my scorpions.

MrMogensen

... That's me!
Reaction score
Visit site
The K&N filter is still fresh in the box. Was going to install it within a few days...

With the knowledge that there might be no noticable difference in either power/consumption (or on a dyno), I still don't want to send the filter back to Germany because that will set me back half of the paid price in return shipment.

Found out from reading other threads in here that the 04-06 FZ6 doesn't have an O2 sensor like 07+ or something like that? Does that mean that the my FZ6 will gain even less from K&N than 07+ models?

Last edited:

Jugro

Reaction score
Visit site
It's not the size of the wand......:thumbup:

In this game it sorta is :D

@MrMogensen

I wouldn't worry about sticking a K&N in there.. You will most likely not gain anything but you won't loose anything either. The reason I swapped over to a K&N was more with maintenance than anything else.... Oh and it sounds better aswell :thumbup:

Running a 05 and it's fine. We did a dyno at the same time to try and see if it helped with the fuel mixture, because it's running a bit rich and we were bored kinda:rolleyes:
It did absolutely nothing to any of the readings.

MrMogensen

... That's me!
Reaction score
Visit site
In this game it sorta is :D

@MrMogensen

I wouldn't worry about sticking a K&N in there.. You will most likely not gain anything but you won't loose anything either. The reason I swapped over to a K&N was more with maintenance than anything else.... Oh and it sounds better aswell :thumbup:

Running a 05 and it's fine. We did a dyno at the same time to try and see if it helped with the fuel mixture, because it's running a bit rich and we were bored kinda:rolleyes:
It did absolutely nothing to any of the readings.

I have installed it a few days ago. Hmm was there less or more power or was it just about the same?... I couldn't figure out so I decided it must be exactly the same :)
Don't know about the sound. Most often I drive with earplugs (because I almost have to hit the highway no matter where I need to do), so that already kills the whining from airfilterbox that some people are complaining about.
Good info about your dyno run!