Hello World

charlie12

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello All,
I’ve been lurking for a month or two now, and the time has come for me to introduce myself and (more importantly) my FZ6. In April I took the MSF course because a couple friends were taking it, and ended up getting addicted to motorcycle riding (big surprise, I know). I quickly got tired of riding the pos KLR 650 I was borrowing from a friend, and started hunting craigslist for a bike I could afford. I recently lost my job, so I was thinking of picking up some cheap 30 year old UJM. Just when I was about to pull the trigger on a Nighthawk 650, a friend of mine decided to sell his 2004 FZ6 for a price I couldn’t refuse. After 3 weeks of desperately trying to craigslist everything of value that I didn’t absolutely need around here, I finally picked up the FZ6 3 weeks ago:

5860981295_c7d9f59570_b.jpg

5860980203_9033b15aca_z.jpg

As you can see, the previous owner already did the naked conversion on it, though he gave me all of the original parts. I’ve already put about 700 miles on the thing, and done a couple mods. First up, I cut the clutch slave lever in half and welded it back together with some additional length in the middle. Makes shifts SO much smoother, I can’t recommend this enough. Also of note, I installed a tire hugger, one mirror (the bike came without any) and hyperlite modulating brake lights and aux turn signals right above the license plate on the back. I also picked up some hyperlite front white accent lights, but I haven’t installed them yet… which brings me to my list of planned changes and mods.

I got the white hyperlites hoping to increase the visibility of my bike from the front, but after doing more research, I’ve decided I’m likely going to order these instead: Scoops with halogens from AMT-Distribution.
So if anyone is interested in a brand new set of white hyperlites, let me know, I’d be happy to sell them for $15 under the manufacturers price.

In conjunction with the radiator scoops/lights, I will probably get a belly pan, mostly to balance out the look of the extra plastic on the front. Once I get that, I’m considering repainting all of the plastic and the tank. I like the blue, but the plastic parts and the tank are different colors… is that right? The tank is a significantly lighter shade of blue than the plastic panels on the bike, which are almost purple. The previous owner dropped the bike once at a great deal of speed, and as a result he replaced a couple of parts – don’t know which ones. He had sliders on, but as the gas tank is in perfect condition, I guess I assume that he replaced it? Anyway it isn’t noticeable now, but if I were to add a bunch of additional painted plastic parts, I think the bike would look odd unless I repainted the tank as well. And if I’m going through the trouble, I might end up picking a different color entirely…

Two other things are high on my priority list. First, as soon as I find a 2007+ swingarm on ebay (or on here), I’m going to buy it, paint it aluminum to match my frame, and replace the ugly industrial box that is currently on my bike. Also, I mostly do city driving and find the extremely throttle very annoying at low speeds. It is either ON or off… there is no gradual power gain without tons of clutch control, and as a result the ride is rather jerky. I’ve heard that a couple of things can help this, so I figure I’ll do all of them: pick up some slipons, get a power commander, and take the bike to a dyno to have the TBs synced and the fuel injection remapped. Of course, that last one will run me about half of the entire cost of the bike so far, so being completely broke right now I’m going to have to live without until I find more work.

Anyway, I apologize for being so long winded!

rsw81

Keep it Kosher
Reaction score
Visit site
Beautiful bike bro and congrats on the purchase. I had my for years and never grew tired of her.

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Mods are always good' I spent close to 800 on things I wanted to change/add in the first 6 months I owned the bike. The gf was not too happy.....but I was!:BLAA:

Oh, and nice looking bike!

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Beautiful ride and nice mod list!
One thing worth checking to possibly smooth out throttle response: chain slack! I found that when mine was on the loose side, going from off to on was much more jerky.
:welcome: to the forum.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome, Nice bike, and was the former owner of that bike an FZ6 Forum member???? that bike looks familar???

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Sparkybean

Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome. Impressive start into modding. Lovely bike too. I never understood why people liked the naked look until recently, now I have the bug. Living in the UK I could have just bought one rather than having to mod it, like your previous owner. Quite jealous of you.

charlie12

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks all!

@Erci - I checked the chain slack to make sure it was within the recommended range (it was), but I don't have a center stand on the bike so I can't be sure I got all of the slack out before measuring. Today I'll put it on a block or something to get the weight off the rear wheel and double check. That solution would certainly make sense, given how many people recommend using the rear brake in conjunction with the throttle to keep it smooth. I assume all that does is keep the chain taut?

@Wolfman & Humperdinkel - I wouldn't be surprised, though in my lurking in the streetfighter and mod sections I didn't come across it. I think I'll give the boards a more thorough look through to see if I can find it today.

@Sparkybean Right after getting the bike I was very close to putting the original fairing back on, but this look has been growing on me quickly. It definitely helps though that you never see naked bikes on the road over here. Now all I want to do is go further down this route!

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
@Erci - I checked the chain slack to make sure it was within the recommended range (it was), but I don't have a center stand on the bike so I can't be sure I got all of the slack out before measuring. Today I'll put it on a block or something to get the weight off the rear wheel and double check. That solution would certainly make sense, given how many people recommend using the rear brake in conjunction with the throttle to keep it smooth. I assume all that does is keep the chain taut?

I don't know if it keeps the chain taut, but it certainly prevents the bike from lurching when rolling throttle on.
You just made me thing of something.. FZ6 manual states that bike should be on center stand when measuring chain slack, BUT.. FZ6N comes from factory without center stand. What's the chain slack measuring procedure on FZ6N then?

jrevans

Old-School Member
Reaction score
jrevans.fbody.com
Nice bike Charlie. :welcome: I like that naked conversion look.

I'll throw my two cents in on the jerky throttle issue. Check to see if the previous owner had the TPS recall done. If the original owner can't tell you, Yamaha should be able to reference the VIN. After I had my TPS replaced under the recall, I swear that my throttle response became much smoother.

I'm in agreement with ole' Nasaman that they made some sort of change to the progressiveness of the potentiometer in the sensor, as I don't know of any other reason that throttle response could have changed.

Are you the guy who emailed me about the swingarm swap? :D

JimE

charlie12

Reaction score
Visit site
Ya know, the TPS recall hasn't been done on this bike. I'll find a dealership and see about having it done asap. Thanks for the suggestion!

And yeah, that was me. I've become a bit obsessed with this thing!

That said, I sat on an R1 this morning... I can see why the previous owner decided to upgrade. The R1 felt like it was half the weight of the FZ6, I can only imagine the handling feels similarly effortless. No chance I'll be following suit anytime soon though.