Votes: 20 8.1%

• Total voters

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
2 cents:

Old school days showed gains from air filter replacement when the OEM filter designs limited flow due to the less surface area for a given element. Manufactures like K&N changed improved upon the OEM filter by increasing the filters surface area within the constraints of the original filter housing (air box) by utilizing the same space but adding deeper pleats, side pleats and sometimes another panel to increase the filter medias surface area.

The FZ has ample surface area in the OEM design that there is little to be gained by a filter brand change as the design offers little room for improvement. Besides, how many of us run around at WOT lap after lap?

For those of you in high altitude/high elevation locals, use dry filters as they are typically less restrictive than oiled filters and your engine can breathe better at high altitude as there is less pressure forcing air into the engine so small restrictions matter.

From all that it comes down to cost vs benefit and convenience.

Guitar Man

Keep moving!!!!
Reaction score
Visit site
OEM here. I still have the cleaner and oil from my 92 CBR600 that I sold 4 or 5 years ago. It came with the bike when I purchased it. Having the stuff make me want to kind of buy one just so the cleaner and oil doesn't go to waste.

Recluse420

Reaction score
Visit site
The K&N is in mine and I love it over the stock. That being said you would have to search high and low to find someone having a problem with this filter, go on Amazon and check out the insanely high reviews across the board it's a 5 star product on average no matter what filter your looking at. But some people just want to look for reason's why you shouldn't use aftermarket parts and then provide really no good evidence of potential damage or examples off said product doing damage, just "they" think you shouldn't use it based off their own assumptions or label reading and ignoring scores and scores of people that have used it with great success cough! cough! K&N! cough! Marvel Mystery oil! Cough!:Flip:

Carlos840

Reaction score
Visit site
The K&N is in mine and I love it over the stock. That being said you would have to search high and low to find someone having a problem with this filter, go on Amazon and check out the insanely high reviews across the board it's a 5 star product on average no matter what filter your looking at. But some people just want to look for reason's why you shouldn't use aftermarket parts and then provide really no good evidence of potential damage or examples off said product doing damage, just "they" think you shouldn't use it based off their own assumptions or label reading and ignoring scores and scores of people that have used it with great success cough! cough! K&N! cough! Marvel Mystery oil! Cough!:Flip:

K&N Air Filter Review - Debunking the Myths (and why OEM is better)

Recluse420

Reaction score
Visit site

I understand. This looks like it was sponsored by AC Delco. I'm sure we could find all kinds of charts that favor one particular filter like this does. Show me testimonials or reviews in large numbers of people that actually tried to product and used it. Great so the k&n lets in more dirt and no one seems to complain about it not even the motocross guys... it sure is a pretty graph/chart though... I'll stop using it when I read about it fouling engines which I'm not and don't try to pull a couple small examples out I'm looking for numbers here man and right now the people have spoken k&n is the real deal.

Carlos840

Reaction score
Visit site
I understand. This looks like it was sponsored by AC Delco. I'm sure we could find all kinds of charts that favor one particular filter like this does. Show me testimonials or reviews in large numbers of people that actually tried to product and used it. Great so the k&n lets in more dirt and no one seems to complain about it not even the motocross guys... it sure is a pretty graph/chart though... I'll stop using it when I read about it fouling engines which I'm not and don't try to pull a couple small examples out I'm looking for numbers here man and right now the people have spoken k&n is the real deal.

Good luck with that, enjoy your filter!

HiGGz

Reaction score
Visit site
Need to change mine and I can get 2 OEM (brand new orignal) for 30 bucks... and since the whole KN vs OEM thing remains pretty... unsolved to me... I play it safe and going for the OEM one.

PhotoAl

Reaction score
Visit site
Many years ago I had a BMW 318iS with the twin cam motor. Didn't make a lot of HP so tried a K&N air filter. Could not tell the difference except for more intake noise. One time after taking it out to clean I noticed some light oil on the intake downstream of the filter - thought oops put a little too much on. Wasn't concerned about it until after wiping it off I noticed very fine dirt in the oil - was a light film. After that I've always stayed with the stock filter. My FZ6 had 44,000 miles on it when I sold it and was just as powerful as it did at 2,800 miles. First time I've posted about my experience but have heard a number of times that the oiled filters let more dirt thru.

FZ09Bandit

�� Paramedic ��
Reaction score
Visit site
Funny how most people drive their cars with PCV valves that vent the crank case through to the intake, some oil does get in there and yes it leaves a film ;) just saying you better not close that off. Just saying.