YZF 600R vs FZ6

YZF 600R vs FZ6

• Total voters

PrayHarder

Keep on driving !
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
So, a couple of my friends have YZF 600R's and I was thinking very heavily about buying one, but I think that the FZ is more comfortable, but the YZF has better forks etc.

I was just wondering how many people here have ridden both and what you thought of the two.

edit:
In the end I did buy the FZ6 and am very happy with it :)

Last edited:

wolfc70

R is for Rust Coloration
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I rode a new '06 600R last year and actually like it. Then I rode a used '05 FZ6 and was in love. The 600R is nice, but for the same cash, the FZ6 (new) had fuel injection and a much more usable power band, and I thought better brakes.

The adjustable suspension on the 600R is the only thing I wish the FZ6 had. The 600R was surprisingly comfortable for a rocket, but ultimately it just seemed out of date, and I did not want carburetors.

Now an R6s...:rockon:

dankatz

Commuter
Reaction score
Visit site
I thought about a YZF as you could get an excellent deal on them, but ultimately, I would probably buy a GSX650F if I decided to go that route. The YZF is a great bike, but is outdated by today's standards and is on the heavy side (so is the GSX650 and the VFR). Those bikes maybe better for touring - I think the full fairing provides slightly better wind protection.

Bryan

Reaction score
Visit site
I voted wrong. I did ride an r6 last summer. I had the opportunity to ride a freind of a friends bike. All I can say is that after a 5 mile run, I was on one hand thrilled but on the other hand; I knew I wouln't want to make any long trips on this bike. I would like to take another ride on a fuel injected version before I made a decision either way. I am more than happy with my FZ6. If I were going to spend any more on an "R" bike, it would be an "R1".

S

sportrider

I Have ridden an R6 also, the YZF600 and R6 are different bikes. the YZF600 is now discontinued and has been replaced with the R6S.

Nobby

Reaction score
Visit site
Are we talkin R6 or Thundercat ?.I used to own a thundercat(97mod) & the suspension is far superior,but the FZ6 has a better engine,riding pos & brakes:Flash:

Raid The Revenge

Reaction score
Visit site
I've ridden an YZF R6 2006
I've ridden an FZ6 2006

Why the FZ6?
-More fuel capacity
-Uses regular fuel
-Uses less fuel
-Cheaper fuel overall
-Center Stand
-Cheaper Parts
-Easier to Maintain
-Oil Change >10-15 minutes
-Cheaper Insurance
-More engine stamina
-More Comfortable riding position
-Suitable for two-riders
---Practical

CONS (FZ6)
-Cheap front suspension
-Strict Clutch

Why the R6?
-MUCH better suspension
-MUCH better performance
-Better Brakes
-Better frame
-Light-weight (50 lbs lighter than FZ6)
-MUCH better clutch (slipper design)
-DIGITAL throttle
---Performance

CONS (R6)
-Premium fuel only
-Smaller Gas Tank
-Drains more fuel
-Expensive fuel overall
-No Center Stand (Better buy your own stands)
-Expensive Parts
-Slightly Harder to Maintain over FZ6
-Oil Change >30 min - 1 hour
-EXPENSIVE Insurance
-Less engine stamina
-Feral Riding position
-NOT Suitable for two-riders

-This is my unbiased opinion. IF you're an enthusiastic racer who NEEDS a fast bike to keep up with your friends; get the R6!!

-IF you're looking for a vehicle specifically for commute (especially longer ones); get an FZ6.

There one more point I'd like to address: The YZF R6 has a weld in the frame. Somehow, the FZ6 managed to create a spine frame with a diamond shape WITHOUT any welds made into the frame. Personally, I LOVE the FZ6 frame. No welds. Not a single one. That's VERY difficult to do!

Last edited:

Raid The Revenge

Reaction score
Visit site
OOooooooo...jsteinb95 is right.

I forgot about the R6S. Actually, MANY of my points are still the same. The riding position is better on an R6S (YZF 600R) compared to an YZF R6. Still, you're going to need 1 HOUR to do a comfortable oil change on it. You have to take off all these fairings and even the signal light!! It's hell...

Check this out:

I got two pictures of the frames for these things. Although the R6 has a better design, the FZ6 frame just LOOKS incredible!!

R6 FRAME
attachment.php

FZ6 FRAME
attachment.php

That FZ6 looks WAY BETTER! It's my favorite thing about it. There was a GREAT DEAL OF TIME put into designing that frame. There isn't a single weld anywhere! Truly magnificent.

Last edited:

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Not too familiar with the 600R Thundercat, but my roomate has an '07 R6 which I ride on occasion. Easier and much smoother clutch engagement. Very quick and much lighter. After riding the R6 for a while and then going back to the FZ6, it feels like a tank! Surprisingly, the R6 does not have a fuel guage like the FZ, just a low fuel indicatory light.

Raid The Revenge

Reaction score
Visit site
Not to hi-jack the thread but I gotta ask a dumb question. Everyone has a complaint about the FZ6 clutch vs. the R6. Can the R6 clutch be made to work with a FZ6?

The STRICT clutch of the FZ6 didn't bother me. Actually, I kind of like it! It teaches you to SHIFT GEARS properly. It's just STRICT, that's all. Like daddy telling you to go to bed on time, yet you stall for every second you can. If you switch gears VERY SLOWLY, then you're doing it right. Some people just pull-and-drop the clutch and that bothers me.

If I ever met anyone who could transfer the slipper-clutch technology into an FZ6, I'd BOW DOWN to them! m(_ _)m

keira

Mrs. Reiobard
Reaction score
Visit site
OOooooooo...jsteinb95 is right.

I forgot about the R6S. Actually, MANY of my points are still the same. The riding position is better on an R6S (YZF 600R) compared to an YZF R6. Still, you're going to need 1 HOUR to do a comfortable oil change on it. You have to take off all these fairings and even the signal light!! It's hell...

Check this out:

I got two pictures of the frames for these things. Although the R6 has a better design, the FZ6 frame just LOOKS incredible!!

That FZ6 looks WAY BETTER! It's my favorite thing about it. There was a GREAT DEAL OF TIME put into designing that frame. There isn't a single weld anywhere! Truly magnificent.

Pretty sure the YZF 600r and R6S are NOT the same bike. The R6S replaced the Thundercat, this is true, but it is NOT the same. It is like comparing a GSXR to an SV. They're both Suzukis, right?

That being said, I have ridden the YZF Rob used to have, and it was OK, but very heavy and a little wide for my liking. I haven't had the pleasure of riding the FZ yet, except on the back, but even that was much more comfortable.

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
First of all...

YZF600r (the bike that we are actually talking about) 1997-2007
DCP_1693.jpg

YZF R6 (04-06) AND YZF R6S (06+) Yes they are the same bike but different model numbers depending on the year.

r6-2003-suur.jpg

YZF R6 (06+)

yzf-r6-1.jpg

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Now that being out of the way, my last bike was a YZF600r thundercat.

I loved that bike and put about 32000 miles on it in 3 years. It was refered to by my wife and I as the rolling couch, it was extremely capable, comfortable and had plenty of power (i thought... he he he). the forks were "better" in the sense that they were fully adjustable, but no matter how much tweaking i did they still needed internal parts replaced for anyone over 190lbs.

I was extremely worried about switching to the FZ from the yzf, but it was time to get some newer technology and i loved the 2007 re-design, so i decided to take the plundge and trade it in for a brandy new fz. the geometry of the bike is almost identical, the seating position is actually a bit more upright than even the thundercat, so i feel it is more comfortable. the Power is much smoother and being fuel injected makes the throttle response much quicker. The FZ is suprisingly even better (according to my wife) for 2 - up riding (and she has actually fallen asleep on the YZF). The FZ is also a lot lighter which accentuates the 13 extra horsepower. Also the New gauge cluster is way easier to read than the YZF's all analogue cluster.

The downfalls are this, even though the wind protection on the FZ is great and can probably be fixed with a new windscreen, the YZF did have better wind protection.

I am sure that with either bike you would be fine, but Personally i would not go back to the YZF if i had the chance, but i do want to say again, I loved that bike!

H

HavBlue

Thanks for the pics Bard... I was just about to do the same thing. In 1998 the R1 replaced the Thunderace and in like 2000 the R6 came in but the 600R remained. The 600 Fazer came in around 1996 and waited until 2004 to get a huge make over. I just wish they had put the R6 final gearing on the FZ6.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've ridden an YZF R6 2006
I've ridden an FZ6 2006

Why the FZ6?
-More fuel capacity
-Uses regular fuel
-Uses less fuel
-Cheaper fuel overall
-Center Stand
-Cheaper Parts
-Easier to Maintain
-Oil Change >10-15 minutes
-Cheaper Insurance
-More engine stamina
-More Comfortable riding position
-Suitable for two-riders
---Practical

CONS (FZ6)
-Cheap front suspension
-Strict Clutch

Why the R6?
-MUCH better suspension
-MUCH better performance
-Better Brakes
-Better frame
-Light-weight (50 lbs lighter than FZ6)
-MUCH better clutch (slipper design)
-DIGITAL throttle
---Performance

CONS (R6)
-Premium fuel only
-Smaller Gas Tank
-Drains more fuel
-Expensive fuel overall
-No Center Stand (Better buy your own stands)
-Expensive Parts
-Slightly Harder to Maintain over FZ6
-Oil Change >30 min - 1 hour
-EXPENSIVE Insurance
-Less engine stamina
-Feral Riding position
-NOT Suitable for two-riders

-This is my unbiased opinion. IF you're an enthusiastic racer who NEEDS a fast bike to keep up with your friends; get the R6!!

-IF you're looking for a vehicle specifically for commute (especially longer ones); get an FZ6.

There one more point I'd like to address: The YZF R6 has a weld in the frame. Somehow, the FZ6 managed to create a spine frame with a diamond shape WITHOUT any welds made into the frame. Personally, I LOVE the FZ6 frame. No welds. Not a single one. That's VERY difficult to do!

Man Elm you nailed it, I couldn't have said it better!

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Wow, great thread, now I get it. I always wondered way Yamaha had three 600 sport bikes. I think I understand better now.

The FZ really is a great sport-touring bike. It's funny some have commented that it feels heavy, I think it is super LIGHT! After riding early '80s bike the FZ reads my mind. It's like riding my Davidson Ti Roadbike, it just does what I want it to do.

The only weakness in the FZ is the suspension. It is too bad that the rest of the bike is amazing and the suspension can suck so bad. I guess that's what MODS are for! :thumbup: