Need Help FZ6 S2 - stalling when put into gear

puthsardarade

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi,

I'm a relatively new biker don't know my way around a bike, based in Leeds and I'd appreciate some help.

My 2011 FZ6 had not been ridden for a couple of years, I was regularly starting it and managed to change the previous battery.
It was booked for an MOT and I planned to get back on the road but I couldn't get it out of my drive as it kept stalling when I put it into gear.
It also appeared to drain the battery after I attempted it around 5 times.

Yesterday I charged the battery and it started ok and the issue repeated - it jerks and stalls in gear with the side stand up.
From the reading I did it is most likely to be the side stand switch or clutch switch which needs replacing and I also came across this:

Is there a way I could easily establish which is the issue with limited knowledge of removing parts etc?

Ideally I'd love to fix it myself so I can take it for its MOT, alternatively establish which part I need to order and call breakdown and get it transported to a garage?

Thanks in advance

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome to our great forum!
The hardest part is trouble shooting an intermittent. There is a relay assembly that incorporates 2 separate relays. one for the starter interrupt and one for the the fuel pump/fuel injection. The 2 relays are controlled by diode logic that uses the open/close status from the side stand, clutch lever, and neutral safety switches.
The starter interrupt-cut off relay unit is locate under the left side pod. It has a 16 pin plug and is located near a similar looking relay assembly that is the headlight relay. Be sure this plug is clean and securely plugged in. Go through the logic trouble shooting you posted a link to and then lets know your outcome.
My first thought is possibly an intermittent related to your side stand switch

Last edited:

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I have the schematic for the US version, and the sidestand switch is a blue wire with a green tracer coming out of the Starter interrupt cutoff relay. When that wire is grounded, the ECU thinks the sidestand is up. I would check continuity between the wire on the sidestand and the blue/green wire on the relay plug. If you verify it is the correct wire, you can ground the wire at the relay plug and rerun the test.

puthsardarade

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks, you guys are very helpful. But right now if I'm honest a lot of what you have said to me is difficult to follow. I know it's perhaps a little bit of a headache but could someone kindly simplify it in basic English and with some photos if possible? Apologies I feel embarrassed writing this as it comes across as very child-like but I've never really done anything to a bike before and I'll be asking a friend to come by to give me a hand this week and I can imagine us googling some of what you have said trying to figure out what to do and where. :)

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Don't be embarrassed. I tend to rattle on about this stuff. You may need someone with some experience to help you with this. Not everyone hits the floor running with technology today. No question is disregarded here and we're here to help.

puthsardarade

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi,

So with some help I have managed to disconnect what I believe is the side stand switch and it does not appear to resolve the issue.
Although interestingly it does not start when its in gear with the switch disconnected - not sure i that's relevant.

I'm now thinking its the clutch switch, although I've tried to google to find the location on a FZ6 S2 2011 but not found it.

I've ordered eBay parts for clutch switch and side stand switch.

If there is a way I could easily locate the clutch switch - image etc would help and if its easy to just disconnect that?

When its put into gear there is a slight jerk and then it cuts off.
I've start it in gear and it slightly moves forward and it then cuts off.
WD40'd cabling thats visible.

Any suggestions I could easily test / location of clutch switch would be helpful?

Its looking like I may get breakdown to come out once I have the parts, that way I could get it transported to the garage with the parts if I'm not able to resolve myself.

Thanks

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I have not experienced this on my FZ, but I believe you need to jump the wires on the side stand switch in order to bypass it. Simply plugging it out is an open circuit.

Someone will correct me if I’m wrong. But until then…give it a go.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi,

So with some help I have managed to disconnect what I believe is the side stand switch and it does not appear to resolve the issue.
Although interestingly it does not start when its in gear with the switch disconnected - not sure i that's relevant.

I'm now thinking its the clutch switch, although I've tried to google to find the location on a FZ6 S2 2011 but not found it.

If there is a way I could easily locate the clutch switch - image etc would help and if its easy to just disconnect that?

Any suggestions I could easily test / location of clutch switch would be helpful?

Its looking like I may get breakdown to come out once I have the parts, that way I could get it transported to the garage with the parts if I'm not able to resolve myself.

Thanks
The clutch switch should be at the clutch lever. IIRK there are 2 narrow spade connectors attached to the switch. Make sure those 2 connectors are secure.
It looks like The sidestand switch is open when the sidestand is in the down position. If you remove the wires connecting them together. That should be the sidestand up status to the Starter interrupt-cut off relay. Have you checked continuity on your neutral safety switch?

puthsardarade

Reaction score
Visit site
Have you checked continuity on your neutral safety switch? - I don't quite follow - I'm a beginner and a lot of the terminology being used is beyond my understanding at present unfortunately. :)

In netural it rolls forward, when in gear it does not roll forward even with the clutch lever pulled in - would that indicating a binding issue or adjustments required on clutch lever?

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Have you checked continuity on your neutral safety switch? - I don't quite follow - I'm a beginner and a lot of the terminology being used is beyond my understanding at present unfortunately. :)

In netural it rolls forward, when in gear it does not roll forward even with the clutch lever pulled in - would that indicating a binding issue or adjustments required on clutch lever?
The neutral safety switch is a switch that is active when the bike transmission is in neutral. That switch is part of the logic that tells the Starter interrupt-cut off relay what the status is with the transmission. It's likely this switch is operating because the engine stops when the bike is put into gear.
If you put the bike in gear and pull in on the clutch, will the bike start?

puthsardarade

Reaction score
Visit site
The neutral safety switch is a switch that is active when the bike transmission is in neutral. That switch is part of the logic that tells the Starter interrupt-cut off relay what the status is with the transmission. It's likely this switch is operating because the engine stops when the bike is put into gear.
If you put the bike in gear and pull in on the clutch, will the bike start?
Hi, Bike starts intially when its in gear than it cuts out.

Thanks

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi,

Thanks
See Gary's response. To put it simply, to trick the bike into thinking the sidestand is up, you need to connect the 2 wires are the sidestand switch together. When they are not connected, the bike thinks the stand is down. When you unplug the switch, it does nothing. Can you make a little jumper wire and use it short out the 2 wires?

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Check the kill switch. They are known to have problems and under vibration can cut out if the internal contacts are not clean. You can run a jumper between the 2 wires to eliminate it.

Last edited: