YZF 600R vs FZ6

YZF 600R vs FZ6

• Total voters

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Wow, great thread, now I get it. I always wondered way Yamaha had three 600 sport bikes. I think I understand better now.

The FZ really is a great sport-touring bike. It's funny some have commented that it feels heavy, I think it is super LIGHT! After riding early '80s bike the FZ reads my mind. It's like riding my Davidson Ti Roadbike, it just does what I want it to do.

The only weakness in the FZ is the suspension. It is too bad that the rest of the bike is amazing and the suspension can suck so bad. I guess that's what MODS are for! :thumbup:

Last year they had 4 600cc sport bikes, the YZF600r, the yzf r6, the yzfr6s, and the FZ6... holy crap...

All of Yamaha's middleweight sportbikes are first in class and quality. they would have continued along with the 4 except new emmission standard made the YZF600r need updating in the output to keep on the market, so they discontinued that one after a very good 10 year run.

jamesfz6

The faster red one!
Reaction score
Visit site
Very hard to make a comparison on this since they are two completly different machines. This is almost like someone trying to compare a buell to a harley, different machines.

I have put some miles on a friend of mine's 600r and the only thing similar about these bikes is they are motorcycles produced by yamaha. The 600r is carburated, has a more aggressive riding position, has analog guages, its wider and feels heavier. Both of these bikes are more capable than any street rider would need and very few people can even get close to riding either one of these to their full potential.

If all you are looking for is the best all around bike i would go for the fz just because it uses up to date technology and it doesnt have the tranny problems the 600r has. The 600r has been unchanged since 97 if that helps you out any.

Also we have taken our bikes to the drag strip and i beat him by only 3 tenths of a second. So if you want speed they are equal in comparison. Just remember one good rule, it all depends on the rider.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Last year they had 4 600cc sport bikes, the YZF600r, the yzf r6, the yzfr6s, and the FZ6... holy crap...

All of Yamaha's middleweight sportbikes are first in class and quality. they would have continued along with the 4 except new emmission standard made the YZF600r need updating in the output to keep on the market, so they discontinued that one after a very good 10 year run.

FOUR???? Okay now I'm really confused...and I thought I had it figured out.... Kinda like GMs problem of the various divisions competing with each other.

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
FOUR???? Okay now I'm really confused...and I thought I had it figured out.... Kinda like GMs problem of the various divisions competing with each other.

that was last year, they are down to 3 this year. 07's linesup was the R6, R6s, YZF600r, and FZ6.

This year is the R6, R6s, and FZ6.

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Very hard to make a comparison on this since they are two completly different machines. This is almost like someone trying to compare a buell to a harley, different machines.

I have put some miles on a friend of mine's 600r and the only thing similar about these bikes is they are motorcycles produced by yamaha. The 600r is carburated, has a more aggressive riding position, has analog guages, its wider and feels heavier. Both of these bikes are more capable than any street rider would need and very few people can even get close to riding either one of these to their full potential.

If all you are looking for is the best all around bike i would go for the fz just because it uses up to date technology and it doesnt have the tranny problems the 600r has. The 600r has been unchanged since 97 if that helps you out any.

Also we have taken our bikes to the drag strip and i beat him by only 3 tenths of a second. So if you want speed they are equal in comparison. Just remember one good rule, it all depends on the rider.

thats right, i forgot that the YZF600r is notorious for dropping 2nd gear. I never had a problem with mine but without the factory quick shift kit, it was almost gauranteed to drop 2nd gear because the shift fork has a poor design and rubs and wears out.

ausfarht

Reaction score
Visit site
Haven't riden the YZF 600, but I rode my son-in-law's GSXR 750. For old farts like me, the FZ6 is a much more comfortable ride!

kevlarian

Reaction score
Visit site
I know noone asked, but here is a pic of my YZF600R. Enjoy...

457785766_792b392d32_b.jpg