Where do you keep the FZ during the winter?

Where do you keep the FZ during the winter?

• Inside the house

Votes: 27 3.8%
  • Heated garage/workshop

Votes: 120 17.0%
  • Unheated garage/shed

Votes: 301 42.6%
  • Outside under cover

Votes: 55 7.8%
  • Keep? I ride All year round!

Votes: 203 28.8%

• Total voters

Stumbles06

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Winter down here in Oz isn't too bad, generally gets down to between 1 to 5 degrees C overnight. I keep mine in the carport all year round.

I work night shift, so when I ride to work during Winter, it's parked in a cover bike shed.

I think I'd go nuts if it snowed for a couple of months every year.

Nice bike shed there Lazamus, great idea. Something like that would be cool... But with remote door openers front and back, so you could ride straight in and through :D

:)

Humperdinkel

Resident Rumologist
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I also ride my bike all year round , i'd go mental if i had to park it up for a few months :D......My bike is garaged at home and parked in the workshop at work :thumbup:

keira

Mrs. Reiobard
Reaction score
Visit site
Our bikes are nestled in our basement right now. It isn't a walk-out, so we have no idea how they are getting out when it does warm up, but we'll save that worry for when there isn't 5 feet of snow on the bulkhead....

Fz6Sa

SS1000 Veteran
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
www.youtube.com
Not heated but stays dry...:thumbup:

BikeShed.jpg

BikeShed1.jpg

Looks well build :)

I'm planning to go larger though, - I want to be able to work on the bike when its in for the winter.

Fz6Sa

SS1000 Veteran
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
www.youtube.com
Our bikes are nestled in our basement right now. It isn't a walk-out, so we have no idea how they are getting out when it does warm up, but we'll save that worry for when there isn't 5 feet of snow on the bulkhead....

:) I need the help of a friend when I move the bike in or out of the house as well :); One of the corners is so tight we have to lift the bike to turn it.
But it's all worth it to me.

Trncaba

Reaction score
Visit site
Mine is hooked to a battery tender at my folks waiting for when we move home from Europe.. He rides it some in the summer but for the most part he just tends it :)
Trina

Fz6Sa

SS1000 Veteran
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
www.youtube.com
Mine is hooked to a battery tender at my folks waiting for when we move home from Europe.. He rides it some in the summer but for the most part he just tends it :)
Trina

Moving over here?,- where in Europe are you moving to?

EDIT: Just saw I got it wrong!!,- sorry, forget that question.

And don't keep it on the tender to much, - it's made for riding, so go ride it :)

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Am I the only one to invite the FZ inside the house during the winter?
I would newer leave he for months in an unheated location, - but maybe thats just me?

This is a Danish ting I am sure. Quite a few of my friends take them into the house in the Winter. A lot also put them with the burner in the outhouse, which they do not have in the UK.

Mine sits in an unheated wooden shed and not covered. It is perfect.

Steve

ROACH1111

Reaction score
Visit site
I kept mine in my little apartment until I could get a friend's trailer to haul it through the snow and 30 miles to my parents' garage. The snow hit early this winter :(

jerdman89

wait... what goes here?
Reaction score
Visit site
what I keep my bike in is less a shed and more a small house in my back yard. Well it was a house in the 1800's. There is my parents 2 harleys my fz , lawn crap, beer fridge, tools, and 4 bicycles and thats just the first floor. its not heated but it definatly keeps the whether out and has full electricity.

CooperFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Mine is in a heated shed I built last year. It was a great idea until I got the electricity bill last week! OUCH!

So, I have a question to my fellow northerners (or anyone in the extreme south of the other hemisphere). If you're storing your bike in an unheated area, can't you damage it if the coolant freezes?

This winter we've been seeing night time temperatures consistently below -15C, as low as -20C. The coolant is rated to -14C. To me, that spells trouble.

Any comments?

Thanks

CooperFZ6

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
She's in the garage, parked with the wife's V Star. We park them end-to-end in the middle and our two cages on either side. There's an extension cord with two Battery Tender Jr.s plugged in hanging between them. The garage isn't heated and does get very cold.

I'll have to get some shots for wavex's garage thread now!

Fz6Sa

SS1000 Veteran
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
www.youtube.com
Mine is in a heated shed I built last year. It was a great idea until I got the electricity bill last week! OUCH!

So, I have a question to my fellow northerners (or anyone in the extreme south of the other hemisphere). If you're storing your bike in an unheated area, can't you damage it if the coolant freezes?

This winter we've been seeing night time temperatures consistently below -15C, as low as -20C. The coolant is rated to -14C. To me, that spells trouble.

Any comments?

Thanks

CooperFZ6

Basic insulation of the shed (floor,walls and ceiling) can keep the room above 0c without a heater.
So my advice would be to do the basic insulation. (If nothing else make a small insulated box that fits around the bike.
That should keep the worst temperatures out.