Votes: 8 12.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mattberkshire

Reaction score
Visit site
Re: The debate is over. Rotella T wins!

Friction modifiers have long alkyl chains for consistent viscosity, and are polar compunds for adhering to metal surfaces and reduce surface friction.

I think I need 3 years out to take a chemistry/physics degree.... Dude, I am flummoxed. I buy black stuff that says "motorbike oil" but I take my hat off to you. You know your stuff

PJFZ1

Reaction score
Visit site

I've run Rotella Synth for about t years now, in several bikes, and I generally run them hard, and I'm very happy with the performance of the Rotella.

As far as the clutch slippage - I really believe it to be a Wives' Tale.. I've red it in dozens of oil threads, but never net someone who suffered from it do to oil.

HungarianFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site

havent any of you guys looked at your owner's manual? specificly the part that says DO NOT USE oils designated "CD" (for use in diesel engines) last time I checked rotella was made specificly for diesel's. be safe use 10w40 amsoil!!!!

Gosling1

Take it easy Charlie. I've got an angle.
Reaction score
Visit site

Not the Amsoil thing again. :spank:

I have 62,000+ miles using Rotella. I have no oil lose no smoke and no clutch slippage. My FZ6 is a daily rider and weekend warrior. Hell, I even use it in my 07 GSXR600 track bike with no, I repeat NO issues. If it works, why change??

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com

Haven't any of you heard....the debate is over, Rotella T wins. Sheesh.

the debate is over...and so is this thread.

pester

pester
Reaction score
Visit site
oil grade

hi ppl i have an 04 fz6 and i am doing my oil change. the shop recomended

motul 20w50 is it ok?

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Re: oil grade

NO! Don't do it! Your motor will seize! J/K... 20/50 is probably too thick for this time of the year.

W

wrightme43

I use 15w50 all year round but I am insane and apt to do strange things for my own reasons.
Then again everyone who has ridden my bike comments on how smoothly the engine runs.

We have a oil flame war thread if you would like to participate. Search oil flame war debate synthetic oil death match.

Welcome to the site if I havent already welcomed you.

Not only do I use mobil one in everything I do, I also fry twinkies in it. LOL J/K? sorta.

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site

The manual recommends between 10w/30 and 20W/50 depending on temparatures where you are.

Between 0 degrees and 45 degrees theyrecommend 15W/40.

Buy the Haynes manual...page 0.13.

Steve

GConn

Squid hater
Reaction score
Visit site

I use 20w-50 Silkolene oil and I have no problems. The climate is hot around here for most of the time though. I think the climate is similar to California.

danfree

Reaction score
Visit site

My MOM says to use 10W-30 from 10 - 70 degF and 20W-40 from 50 - 110 degF. The Yamaha dealer doesn't sell 20W-40. They said 20W-50 is fine and that is what they sold to me when I purchased my 2008 FZ6. I live in Florida, so it is probably just fine. However, the morning lows are getting down to about 34 degF and I am still riding to work. The morning chill is a small price to pay for the 50 - 60 degF afternoon ride home. Anyway, I am a little concerned about oil, but remember the oil will act like 20W at the lower temps, so there shouldn't be much difference between 20W-50 and 20W-40 when the ambient temp is 40 degF. Right? I don't think there is any problem with it. And if there is, I have the receipts to back it up. Why would Yamaha discontinue the very oil that they recommend (for my 2008 FZ6) if the 20W-50 would be harmful? They wouldn't. That said, I notice that Amsoil recommends their 20W-50 for larger V-twins and such. They recommend 10W-40 for smaller Japanese bikes. When my engine is broken in and if I decide to change to a synthetic, I will probably use 10W-40. Actually, I don't know why the manual doesn't specifically call for 10W-40. Maybe they do in the 2009 MOM?

pester

pester
Reaction score
Visit site

My MOM says to use 10W-30 from 10 - 70 degF and 20W-40 from 50 - 110 degF. The Yamaha dealer doesn't sell 20W-40. They said 20W-50 is fine and that is what they sold to me when I purchased my 2008 FZ6. I live in Florida, so it is probably just fine. However, the morning lows are getting down to about 34 degF and I am still riding to work. The morning chill is a small price to pay for the 50 - 60 degF afternoon ride home. Anyway, I am a little concerned about oil, but remember the oil will act like 20W at the lower temps, so there shouldn't be much difference between 20W-50 and 20W-40 when the ambient temp is 40 degF. Right? I don't think there is any problem with it. And if there is, I have the receipts to back it up. Why would Yamaha discontinue the very oil that they recommend (for my 2008 FZ6) if the 20W-50 would be harmful? They wouldn't. That said, I notice that Amsoil recommends their 20W-50 for larger V-twins and such. They recommend 10W-40 for smaller Japanese bikes. When my engine is broken in and if I decide to change to a synthetic, I will probably use 10W-40. Actually, I don't know why the manual doesn't specifically call for 10W-40. Maybe they do in the 2009 MOM?

good question and great write up thanks for the information i really apreciate it

jfz6

Not Here Enough
Premium Member
Reaction score
web.mac.com
OIL!!! How often do you check it?

I have been running my baby on a synthetic blend pretty hard lately ever since I posted a while back about going 40 in 6th gear to save gas. Now I hit between 80-100+mph in 5th gear.

I know there are a lot of oil threads out there but I was wondering how often people check their oil.

Please feel free to include any and all details you wish such as brand, synthetic or regular, oil filter brand, air filter brand, etc.

Also being mechanically and generally clueless- how far up the stick should my oil read?

Mine right now is |##******| #=oil.

cashcrzzy

Meandering Member
Reaction score
www.fz6-forum.com
Re: OIL!!! How often do you check it?

Top of the hash marks on the stick on the center stand

I check mine whenever I wash it.

I have never been low ,never any carbon soot around exhaust pipe.

I use 20w50 full synthetic oil .not going to mention brand in winter I use
10w30 full synthetic

Greg A.

Last edited:

Sawblade

Hopped up on Mountain Dew
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

I don't check the level, but I do clean the bike so often that a new leak or blue smoke from the exhaust would be found immediately.

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site

Anywhere between the hash marks is acceptable. I rather be in the middle than at the top. Do NOT screw the dip stick in.

:rtfm:

I check it when I think of it...but I've never noticed my bike consuming significant oil.

Wildcard

Reaction score
Visit site

I check around 1k I guess. Not really often though. Never have been low and I know it doesn't burn yet lol (only 4.2k miles). I use Shell Rotella T 5w40 synthetic and Mobil1 M1-110 filter

Status
Not open for further replies.