Votes: 8 12.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
Re: The debate is over. Rotella T wins!

"Rotella" sounds like some kind of pasta. You know, like "lasagna" or something. But, I'm not trying to start something.

Sqrly

Reaction score
Visit site

Shell Rotella "T" in the purple jug for me! Better shifts, less engine chatter and in a 5W-40 fully synthetic all for less than $16.00 at walmart. Great stuff!

colobb

Reaction score
Visit site

Shell Rotella \"T\" in the purple jug for me! Better shifts, less engine chatter and in a 5W-40 fully synthetic all for less than $16.00 at walmart. Great stuff!

2 states, 1000 miles apart (town-to-town), 2 Wal-Marts at each end, and $20.00. How come you get it for $16?

Sqrly

Reaction score
Visit site

Because I live in Alabama. We can't afford to pay $20.00 a gallon. Hey! And gas is only $3.56 a gallon here as well. That and I pay in food stamps...just kidding. Really, I don't know. The last gallon I bought was in august and it was $15.95 + tax.:don'tknow:

colobb

Reaction score
Visit site

Because I live in Alabama. We can't afford to pay $20.00 a gallon. Hey! And gas is only $3.56 a gallon here as well. That and I pay in food stamps...just kidding. Really, I don't know. The last gallon I bought was in august and it was $15.95 + tax.:don'tknow:

Where I live the cheapest I can get 87 for is $4.16.9 . We get :spank:

I'm just outside Dallas at this moment and its as low as $3.30-ish

troutfishinemt

Reaction score
Visit site

Where I live the cheapest I can get 87 for is $4.16.9 . We get :spank:

I'm just outside Dallas at this moment and its as low as $3.30-ish

Nine pages of posts, and all I got from it was that I THINK I did okay today, buying a gallon of Rotella 15w/40 dino oil for ten bucks... (I have an 07 bought with under 1k on the clock, but sketchy "maintanence" records - I want to change the oil ASAP... also picked up some Teflon lube for the chain from Lowe's today....

Now, what's the best filter? :eek:

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Did the 4,000 mile service this weekend. Used some Castrol 10-40 that was on sale for $2.99 at Cycle Gear! WooT! I did spring for the K&N oil filter. I like the 14mm nut that is pre-drilled for safety wire, very nice.

Oh, and the transmission feels the same. Oh well.

chemicalsmile

Reaction score
Visit site

First oil change @ 100 miles I used Rotella 15w40 dino and didn't have any issues, changed it again @ 600 miles to Castrol 10w40 and shifting is definitely clunkier but it warms up quicker and seems to run a little cooler. Will probably try the 5w40 synth @ 1200 miles. We sort of have both extremes here when it comes to temps - I usually ride down to 35* but in the middle of summer it gets up into the 90's - where exactly on the user manual temp chart would the 5w40 fall? Everywhere?:D

tasop7

Enjoying Life!
Reaction score
Visit site
Re: How to do an oil change

I searched through the many oil changing threads to find one with pictures (I've never changed the oil before). I was really excited about finding this one because it's supposed to have pictures but they're not there. Everyone in this thread rants and raves about how good it is with the pictures, but I can't see them lol!!! Did they get deleted or is it just me? I'm just looking for something as thorough as possible and everyone says this is the thread to read.

Thanks guys! :thumbup:

-Taso

oldtimer

Oh Noes!!
Reaction score
Visit site
Re: How to do an oil change

the pictures are there. Your browser or a router could be blocking them from coming through.

oldtimer

Oh Noes!!
Reaction score
Visit site
Rotella T - you guys are using wrong weight!

Well, the 2008 manual says to use 10w-30 or 20w-40 engine oil. I dont know if it's different for the other model years.

If it's the same for all the model years, then why are some of you comfortable with ignoring the yamaha engineer's recommendation and using 5w-40 and 15w-40 oils?

The argument can be made to use lighter weight oil when you're in a cold climate region so the oil isn't molasses when you first crank it up. However, since most of us run the bikes during the warmer months, you should really be sticking with the 20w-40 or 10w-30..

W

wrightme43

Re: Rotella T - you guys are using wrong weight!

Because it doesnt matter.
It just doesnt matter at all.
This goes in the oil debate and flame war thread though. LOL

Ok to break it down.

Its 5 when its cold. So it flows quickly to the the moving parts. Oil is quickly heated at becomes a 40 weight oil just like the bike reccomends.

Wanna get all sorts of crazy?
I use 15w50 mobil one synth oil.
It just really really really doesnt matter.

Flame ON!!!!!!!! Oil debate Death Match is GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Woooo!!!!!!

I love oil debates.

No one ever changes thier mind no matter how many facts are presented!!!! Wooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!

urbanj

Reaction score
Visit site

using Shell oil specs and Shell oil only I come up with this.

The Rotella T mineral based 15w40 has a viscosity of 120 cSt at 40 degrees celsius and 15.7 cSt at 100 degrees celsius. Which means it's thick when cold and thinner when warm.

the 10w30's specs are 81 @ 40c and 12 @ 100c.

the synthetic 5w40 is 95@ 40c and 15.5 @ 100c.

meaning it will hold up just like the regular 15w40 but be thinner when cold. almost as thin as the 10w30.

Thinner cold oil is what you need. It warms up and circulates faster protecting the engine when it wears the most when cold. But don't let that fact that it's "thinner" fool you. its still way thicker then when its hot.

if multigrade oil wasn't advantageous everything would be using straight 30 or straight 40. and that stuff is thick.

urbanj

Reaction score
Visit site

i love them too.

one last thing. it seems on shells website the only synthetic heavy duty oil they have now is the 5w40. which makes sense cause there is absolutely no reason to have the others.

ok done

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

If it is wrong, my bike likes it. No complaints. AS with any oil, just stay out of the revs until it's warmed up!

mglowe

Reaction score
mglowe.public.iastate.edu

Oh please, stop!

I think you misunderstand the word "recommendation".

There are too many posts, in this Forum and on others Forums, that will provide information that warrants our choice of oil. I'm comfortable "ignoring the Yamaha Engineer's recommendation" because I know I am not hurting my engine using Shell's Rotella T oils. Other members do use other oils and they are perfectly fine oils too.

W

wrightme43

How are we going to have a oil flame war if you guys dont post in all the likely places to have a oil flame war?

I say Havoline oil just tastes awful on salad.

Take that!!!!

kustom17

Reaction score
Visit site

soooo what oil would you recommend if you live in a warm climate say... where even at 4:30 in the morning it's mid 60's to 70's?

year round

Status
Not open for further replies.