• 500, 1000, and then follow the manual

Votes: 4 6.3%
  • Something else... please explain

Votes: 8 12.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: First oil change

I always use the OEM oil/filters for the first few thousand miles of a bike/cars life. Once the engine is broken in and has some miles on it, I'll switch over to synthetic.

Whatever my next bike is (FZ? :D) I'll do the first change around 50 miles, 600 mi, then resume the normal 3000mi intervals. So far that has worked well for me.

And to just throw even more mud in the water, I know a guy that has been using energy conserving oil just to be contrary and he had alot of it. Several oil changes on a ninja 250 with no problems (that he has reported anyway)

From the 2008 manual: Oil marked with Energy Conserving II or higher is not recommended. Unsure about earlier models and I gave my '05 manual to the new owner, Pondrat.

This is awesome information. If I may ask a quick question. Went to the dealer today to buy supplies to change my oil, told him that I had an FZ6 and he gave me GN4 SAE 10w-40 SJ motor oil. I ask if it was ok for a Yamaha and I guess it is. I guess after reading your article I'm second guessing myself. Is this type of oil ok? Thanks

This is awesome information. If I may ask a quick question. Went to the dealer today to buy supplies to change my oil, told him that I had an FZ6 and he gave me GN4 SAE 10w-40 SJ motor oil. I ask if it was ok for a Yamaha and I guess it is. I guess after reading your article I'm second guessing myself. Is this type of oil ok? Thanks

You should be fine for one change but being in San Diego, I'd opt for the 10w-30 next time and going forward. This is what is recommended for over 60 degrees.

Rotella Synthetic

Did my first oil change today. No issues. Put in Rotella synthetic and a purolator filter.

I had been concerned with the shift quality I had been experiencing, but, the Rotella made a very noticeable improvement.

John

Re: Rotella Synthetic

before my first oil change my shifting was getting much more clunky and after the change it was smooth as butter again!:rockon:

Re: Rotella Synthetic

before my first oil change my shifting was getting much more clunky and after the change it was smooth as butter again!:rockon:
I put almost 100 miles on my bike yesterday, up to 160 total now and I could tell as I went through the day it was getting clunkier. Going to change my oil this morning to regular Rotella and then to Rotella Synthetic at 600 miles.

another Rotella T question....

All I can seem to find locally is "heavy duty 5w-40" and "triple protection 15w-40".

So, two questions: will one of these be ideal? and which is actually the "best" for my situation? (I will order online if "worth-it")

My situation: I will not see temps below freezing for this oil change and probably never will with this bike. I am moving to either central or southern Florida, so temps above 100 degrees F are possible. I like to ride hard often, keeping the revs above 8k for extended periods of time. Also, Florida traffic sucks, so I might be sitting in stop and go traffic at 98 degrees for long periods of time, every day. What oil is best (in the Rotella T product line)???

I know this topic can be somewhat subjective, but the fact remains that many on this forum know much more about oil than I do.

Thanks in advance...

Re: another Rotella T question....

5W-40 synthetic in a blue container so I have been told...

Correct! About $13.00 a bottle (Gallon is it?) at Walmart. I believe that any of them with 10w or higher is "Energy conserving" and not good for the clutch over time. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Re: another Rotella T question....

Correct! About $13.00 a bottle (Gallon is it?) at Walmart. I believe that any of them with 10w or higher is "Energy conserving" and not good for the clutch over time. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Not sold in Canada, which sucks.... (I am yet to find it, anyway). Walmart Canada does not sell any Rotella period. Canadian Tire (big hardware + chain here in Canada) sells Rotella 15w-40 and Rotella synthetic 0w-40 winter grade.... I am so tempted to cross the border and by several containers (a few years worth)... LOL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back